Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Suspended

Emotiva tid bits from the horses mouth

I've seen that video before. The CDP ERC-1, seems to be built rock solid. I'd like to know what OP amps, DAC's and Clock are used in it. I would love to see it compared to the Marantz 8003, Rega Apollo and 740/840c's. I might have to order one and give it an audition.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I hope some one does, it may be me. I read some of the reviews off the Emotiva forum and it gives me some reservations. Most of the people compared the ERC-1 to some existing DVD or Blu-ray player, one guy compared it to a 19 year old JVC top of line but still 19 years old. The reservation comes in that no one really said the ERC-1 was better in any significant way. Two guys auditioned the ERC against the JVC, the JVC owner decided not to buy the ERC. He may have just been used to the JVC sound and not wanting to change but my goodness if the ERC can't sound any better than the output of a 19 year old player then you have to wonder if people aren't just in love with the looks. One guy preferred it to the Panasonic BR player but not by much and even if so what does that say. I know the ERC is only $399.00 but it should be standing out against such modest competition. Going up against something like the 8003 or 840 the ERC could get fed lunch. AVS forum writing about Emo at the show seemed to think their 2-channel set up with the ERC-1 sounded good though, but they seem to have a love affair with Emo. I really have to wonder if it's that good or if people are just thrilled to get equipment that cheap, maybe reverse power of suggestion, they want it to sound good. They have a thread devoted to the ERC but I didn't want to read through that many pages to see if I could gleen any useful info.

BR, you would be a good candidate as well having compared Marantz and Cambridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    ............ERC can't sound any better than the output of a 19 year old player then you have to wonder if people aren't just in love with the looks.
    Have to admit the gear does look real nice. I lost interest when the last half the video is about the limited editions amps have laser etching and nary a blurb on the SQ.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Suspended
    Opened my audio cabinet door the other day; saw my LPA-1 sitting there, all by itself, nice-n-quiet, and said to myself... shoot, I forgot all about you Emo. Proceeded to dust it off...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Opened my audio cabinet door the other day; saw my LPA-1 sitting there, all by itself, nice-n-quiet, and said to myself... shoot, I forgot all about you Emo. Proceeded to dust it off...

Here ya go, Richie, just teh thang fer you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Ccf...layer_embedded
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    Kapassa!? Rich

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Here ya go, Richie, just teh thang fer you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Ccf...layer_embedded
    So when are you going to admit you were wrong about XM being dead, dumbass?

Suspended
    Kapassa!? Rich
    = Que pasa, correct Mr. P? Not much, just trying to get pixelthis to admit he was wrong about something.

How are you sir? As I was eluding to, my Emotiva LPA-1, recommended to me here by a knowledgeable member, is still working flawlessly after it's first year in service. Sits in the bottom of my audio cabinet effortlessly pumping out 5 channels of audio bliss.

nightflier
    Mr. P., maybe this is why people here are trying to get you to buy the player - they want you to be the guinea pig. Borrowing a page from Pixie's playbook...

Suspended
    I've pretty much decided to try the preamp. That NAD c565 is more than I wanted to spend but looks like a cool unit. Emotiva won't admit comparing the ERC to any other units and no one seems to have great things to say about sound, only how good it looks or heavy it is. I can get my hands on a NAD, maybe I'll start there and if I'm not happy with what I hear then bring the ERC in for a spin. It would also be cool to have both Emo pieces to see what synergy there might be.

Cool

= Que pasa, correct Mr. P? Not much, just trying to get pixelthis to admit he was wrong about something.

How are you sir? As I was eluding to, my Emotiva LPA-1, recommended to me here by a knowledgeable member, is still working flawlessly after it's first year in service. Sits in the bottom of my audio cabinet effortlessly pumping out 5 channels of audio bliss.
    Thats you standard, that something work for a year?
    NO WONDER YOU LIKE PONTIACS SO MUCH.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    That NAD c565 is more than I wanted to spend but looks like a cool unit. Emotiva won't admit comparing the ERC to any other units and no one seems to have great things to say about sound, only how good it looks or heavy it is
    "..... Emotiva won't admit comparing the ERC to any other units....." ??????????
    Mr. Peabody, can you expound on this statement please. Most reputable companies don't.specifically compare their own units to the competition, but let the user and reviewers make comparisons.

"..... That NAD c565 is more than I wanted to spend but looks like a cool unit....." Can you quote where NAD has admitted to comparing to any other unit. You say, "ERC ... no one seems to have great things to say about sound, only how good it looks or heavy it is....." You criticize others for commenting about how good the ERC-1 looks while yourself saying the NAD C565 "looks like a cool unit."

Mr. Peabody, how can you make these outlandish statements when you've obviouly not searched the forums yourself? You even admit above, ".....AVS forum writing about Emo at the show seemed to think their 2-channel set up with the ERC-1 sounded good though, but they seem to have a love affair with Emo. I really have to wonder if it's that good or if people are just thrilled to get equipment that cheap, maybe reverse power of suggestion, they want it to sound good. They have a thread devoted to the ERC but I didn't want to read through that many pages to see if I could gleen any useful info......" For one who has negative comment after negative comment about Emotiva products, it is odd that you would admit that you didn't want to read thru the thread. Then how could you have concluded that they are in love with Emo? In fact it is just the opposite when I read the entire thread several months ago. Chu Gai and his sharpshooters were tearing apart the guy for his subjective comments and they were generally trash talking Emo. There are finally some positive comments now appearing on that forum.

Why don't you just refrain from posting about Emo products until you are willing to read the threads and posts that I have taken the time to read (before I bought the ERC-1). Your statement that nobody has compared the ERC-1 to other recent players at higher prices is pure nonsense and embarrassing to you, especially when you admit that you haven't taken the time to actually read the posts.

I will admit I am a Emo fan boy, but only after a great deal of study and research before I spent a dime on any of their products. You contunue to write negative comments when you have not even taken the time to study or use the products.

Suspended

RR6's reading comprehension slipping again

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    "..... Emotiva won't admit comparing the ERC to any other units....." ??????????
    Mr. Peabody, can you expound on this statement please. Most reputable companies don't.specifically compare their own units to the competition, but let the user and reviewers make comparisons.

* Well, you don't know what you are talking about. When I was in dialog with SVS they were very candid about what I could expect and how their unit would stand against brands I was considering. Emo could have at least admit who they thought their competition might be.

"..... That NAD c565 is more than I wanted to spend but looks like a cool unit....." Can you quote where NAD has admitted to comparing to any other unit. You say, "ERC ... no one seems to have great things to say about sound, only how good it looks or heavy it is....." You criticize others for commenting about how good the ERC-1 looks while yourself saying the NAD C565 "looks like a cool unit."

* When I said, "looks" like a cool unit, I was referring to features and what it has to offer. I care less what it looks like which is more than I can say for you.

Mr. Peabody, how can you make these outlandish statements when you've obviouly not searched the forums yourself? You even admit above, ".....AVS forum writing about Emo at the show seemed to think their 2-channel set up with the ERC-1 sounded good though, but they seem to have a love affair with Emo. I really have to wonder if it's that good or if people are just thrilled to get equipment that cheap, maybe reverse power of suggestion, they want it to sound good. They have a thread devoted to the ERC but I didn't want to read through that many pages to see if I could gleen any useful info......" For one who has negative comment after negative comment about Emotiva products, it is odd that you would admit that you didn't want to read thru the thread. Then how could you have concluded that they are in love with Emo? In fact it is just the opposite when I read the entire thread several months ago. Chu Gai and his sharpshooters were tearing apart the guy for his subjective comments and they were generally trash talking Emo. There are finally some positive comments now appearing on that forum.

* First of all, you cannot find one negative thing I have said about a Emotiva product. Maybe the company, open to interpretation, or the feedback, but I've never said negative things about the particular product. Now, the AVS Emo forum is mega pages and from the sample I attempted to go through any meaningful posts were far and few. I read a lot of the reviews on Emo's website and they were written by people like you whose point of reference is other entry level gear, or, a DVD player which is not what I call a reference for digital music playback. When you have heard, or owned, such playback as Krell, Conrad Johnson, Arcam, Audio Note and T+A, then your opinion on how good a CD player is may be viable. So don't expect me to jump up and down because you found a CD player that can out perform a DVD player. Some guy on the Emo forum wanted to keep his 19 year old JVC instead of keeping the ERC, what kind of confidence do you think that gives me? Even though I'm looking for a secondary player I want it to sound like music. If I just wanted any noise I have other DVD and cheap players around.

Why don't you just refrain from posting about Emo products until you are willing to read the threads and posts that I have taken the time to read (before I bought the ERC-1). Your statement that nobody has compared the ERC-1 to other recent players at higher prices is pure nonsense and embarrassing to you, especially when you admit that you haven't taken the time to actually read the posts.

* Why don't you quit posting about Emo until you've used something other than what you've bought at Best Buy.

I will admit I am a Emo fan boy, but only after a great deal of study and research before I spent a dime on any of their products. You contunue to write negative comments when you have not even taken the time to study or use the products.
    Study & research only goes so far. I can write volumes on how a piece of chocolate tastes but you will never know what it's like until you've actually tasted it for yourself. I realize your comprehension is limited so let me try it this way, you will never know how good Emotiva really is until you've heard and experienced quality hi fi equipment to know if Emo holds up to that.

So you think the Emo processor and power amp is better than your old Sony receiver, I'd hope so for separates. But how would Emo stack up to separates by Anthem, NAD, Marantz, Arcam etc. Emo may fair very well who knows but from what I've seen their main customer base seems to be receiver boys wanting separates on the cheap. This is an advantage for Emo as the mentioned customer base wouldn't know the difference.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    You are very good at begging the question, Mr. Peabody. I didn't insult your intellgience, I simply question your general negative comments about Emo gear and the customers who purchase it. They are not all upgrading from receivers, which you would know if you read the threads.

You avoid answering any of my direct questions, and instead do an end run, attacking my experiemce and my intelligence. I only point out your baseless attacks on Emo gear like the ERC-1 when you yourself admit you haven't even read the threads by its owners.

Once again I point out that,

"......You contunue to write negative comments when you have not even taken the time to study or use the products......"

RR6

Has anyone else noticed the very similar appearance between the Emotiva ERC-1 and the Rotel RCD-1520? Has anyone noticed the difference in price?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    Wow, right down to the slotted loading.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Has anyone else noticed the very similar appearance between the Emotiva ERC-1 and the Rotel RCD-1520? Has anyone noticed the difference in price?

I smell badge engineering.
    Both are made in CHINA YOU KNOW.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

nightflier

Similarities to the Rotel

Well, but internally they are also totally different, so I really don't think they share the same manufacturing. Actually the internals on the Emotiva look quite a bit more substantial.

RR6, not to jump on any bandwagons or anything, but you have to admit that the independent reviews aren't exactly plentiful. And I haven't really read any comparisons to other players in it's price range or slightly above (the Cambridge ones come to mind). For Emotiva to compete, it has to offer gear at a competitive edge over NAD, Rotel & Adcom, to mention a few companies that people have mentioned.

Speaking of looks, I'm actually not too fond of the design work that Emotiva did for it's product line. The blue & silver looks a bit kitsch to me. But that's just my opinion. After all, McIntosh uses the same design queues and people love it (although I'm not one of those people either). Now if the Emotiva player is rock solid underneath, then that's perhaps a minor issue for most people, but I just prefer a little less flash in my gear.

Slot loading is something I'm not really fond of. The only other slot loaders I've seen are car stereo units. I've never thought very highly of them.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    Thats you standard, that something work for a year?
    NO WONDER YOU LIKE PONTIACS SO MUCH.
    This post is weak, worthless, and a total waste of time. STFU dumbass.

Cool

This post is weak, worthless, and a total waste of time. STFU dumbass.
    PRETTY much like yourself, so I hit the mark.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Slot loading is something I'm not really fond of. The only other slot loaders I've seen are car stereo units. I've never thought very highly of them.
    Great way to mess up a CD, lame for a higher end unit.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Charm Thai™
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Speaking of looks, I'm actually not too fond of the design work that Emotiva did for it's product line. The blue & silver looks a bit kitsch to me. But that's just my opinion.
    I feel the same way. It makes them look gaudy and cheap IMO...kinda like putting underglow on a honda civic.
    Hey, all the Bose home units use slot loaders lol. I can't think of a single reason to use a slot loading mechanism other than a foolish attempt to appear high end to the ignorant consumer.

Yeah I know some expensive Meridian players use slot loaders but they are the vast minority.
    Great way to mess up a CD, lame for a higher end unit.
    Absolutely.

I have never actually heard an Emotiva unit first hand but if they sound good for the price i guess you have to make some compromises.

nightflier
    It seems like slot-loading is the new in-thing in mid/high-end audio. Here's another company going that route:

http://www.perreaux.com/blog/index.c...port-prototype

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information