Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Classical Music Lover

Whenever I listen to two channel stereo, there are many instances that I hear sounds in the high register that are not a part of the musical spectrum...or at least are not an accurate representation of the musical spectrum. I think the sounds are supposed to be violins or a group of violins but I am not absolutely sure of that. Most of the violin music on my current system are very accurate representations of the violin...and yet at times there will be these extraneous sounds that could very well be a reflection of my audio gear...either the CD player or the amplifier...or perhaps a bad CD. I have heard this sound on some very expensive gear, however, and I have never found anyone to fully understand what I am talking about. I can best describe it as a sound that ought to be a violin sound, but has in some way been degraded in the process - it might be what some have called 'grain' (not a continuous wave sound)...

The reason I'd like to know if anyone else has ever encountered this peculiar anomaly is that I'd like to get rid of it, and I don't know from which component it might be coming. Could it be the speaker? The CD Player? The Integrated Amplifier? The CD? I recently auditioned a Bryston Integrated amplifier in place of my usual NAD C370 Integrated amp...and the peculiar sound was in both amplifiers...the CD player was constant. This tempts me to try another CD player to see if I note any change. If no one responds to this 'thread' I plan to 'turn myself in' very soon.

Bingo

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Hey Bingo...

...and good morning, sir,

I have been very lucky regarding equipment and a lack of malfunctions so I can't really be helpful there. Something that struck me about your post:

1) you have recently traded out amplifiers (which would remove one variable)
    and more crucially...
    2)you have heard this sound on completely seperate systems (which would remove all variables)

It seems as if the only variable that hasn't been removed is you, especially as others are having a hard time grasping your complaint. When was the last time you had your hearing checked? ( I hope very much that I am wrong and forgive me if that seemed impertinent as it was not meant to be)

Unhappy Wouldn't we all

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo
    Whenever I listen to two channel stereo, there are many instances that I hear sounds in the high register that are not a part of the musical spectrum...or at least are not an accurate representation of the musical spectrum. I think the sounds are supposed to be violins or a group of violins but I am not absolutely sure of that. Most of the violin music on my current system are very accurate representations of the violin...and yet at times there will be these extraneous sounds that could very well be a reflection of my audio gear...either the CD player or the amplifier...or perhaps a bad CD. I have heard this sound on some very expensive gear, however, and I have never found anyone to fully understand what I am talking about. I can best describe it as a sound that ought to be a violin sound, but has in some way been degraded in the process - it might be what some have called 'grain' (not a continuous wave sound)...

The reason I'd like to know if anyone else has ever encountered this peculiar anomaly is that I'd like to get rid of it....

Bingo
    Bingo, you're not alone in hearing this phenomenon. I hear it for orchestral violins too, and also massed voices, especially soprano, in choral works. No amount of equipment swapping is going to get rid of it entirely; it is inherent in many or, indeed, virtually all recordings to some degree. There was a recent thread over at Audio Asylum dealing with the choral aspect: there were lots of opinions but no perfect consensus about either the cause or the cure.

Some people claim that the problem doesn't occur in live performance and is significantly worse from digital sources than analog. But I don't altogether buy either.

First, I have hear the very similar -- I'm not saying identical -- "distortion" in live performance; mostly during very loud passage and in relatively reverberant venues, (such as churches). One theory was that it has to do with multiple singers moving very slightly in and out of key with each other; my theory is that it has to do with direct and reflected versions of the source sound interfering with each other to varying degrees. I just don't know, but I don't think it's entirely a matter of insufficient equipment quality. Secondly I've certainly heard it on vinyl too, although recently only on my own, modest equipment.

All this said, I know the effect is reduced using higher resolution equipment, provided it's delivering genuine, clean resolution, not an artifacts of RFI or higher harmonic distortion, etc. Alternatively some people like to butter over the problem with tube equipment; I guess this helps to some degree, but its hiding the problem, not solving it.
    Last edited by Feanor; 01-14-2007 at 10:57 AM.

Forum Regular

Classical Music Lover

To Feanor...I want to respond to you more fully later...but I was very glad to get your theory which is exactly my own...I didn't say it in my thread, but I thought it for some time... I want to say more and will do so soon..just happen to be in a hurry right now.

Thanks for saving me from the loony bin...

Bingo

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Well, I'm glad to read that there may be some other issue at work here. I have heard harmonic dissonance caused by instruments playing out of tune with one another, but I just wrote it off to...well...harmonic dissonance caused by instruments playing out of tune. Maybe this is an issue of words or wording...

...or who knows, maybe it's my hearing that needs to be tested. How many concussions can you have before it starts to effect your hearing?

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Could you mention some specific recordings? Some that sound right, and some that have this distortion of which you speak?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

Smile Unidentifiable high end sounds

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Could you mention some specific recordings? Some that sound right, and some that have this distortion of which you speak?
    Dusty Chalk - I will have to record the CDs on which I do hear this anomaly and perhaps make a note of the ones that do not have this extraneous sound. But before I do, I'd like to say that unless you are a Classical Music Listener, such as symphonies, concertos or ballet music rendered by large orchestras, you probably would never hear this. On most popular music, rock 'n roll or rap or Jazz in small groups, I don't think the anomaly presents itself at all. So let me know if you listen to classical...because with consistently loud music the signal to noise ratio would rule out the possibility of hearing this. Let me know and I will make an effort to pick out some classical CDs that have this sound and some that don't. If you by chance ever listened to a London CD of Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra (Symphonic) (417 509-2 London Label.) That would be a good example of a CD that does NOT have this anomaly. I will try to get one that does very soon. Nolan

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I almost hate to bring this up due to the usual reactions but here goes. If I understand what you are describing I used to experience this same problem and after a speaker and interconnect cable change the problem lessened. Large choral groups sound larger due to ghosting type reflections and violins more strident with some cables. I would be interested in what cables are in your system.

Another source of noise and again people have differing opinions is with the components being grounded. I use an aftermarket power cord with my integrated amp that has a removeable ground pin. I removed the ground pin and the reduction in noise was dramatic. My other components do not have three way plugs so they are not grounded. Now that I am not picking up noise from the ground the sound has improved especially in the high frequencies. I also have much less listener fatigue.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Sounds like RFI

Whenever I listen to two channel stereo, there are many instances that I hear sounds in the high register that are not a part of the musical spectrum...or at least are not an accurate representation of the musical spectrum.
    RFI manifests itself in that way creating an artificially "zingy" top that is amusical. Which is what better cabling of all sorts can help trap before the amplication stages see it. CD players are quite effective RFI generators along with all sorts of other digital equipment plugged into the AC throughout a modern house.

I find the audible difference when such is gone similar to the improvements achieved using bass traps - albeit at the other end of the spectrum. In each case, however, removing the artificial haze allows you to hear more clearly the highs - or lows as the case may be when devoid of the grunge (or room nodes).

rw

Forum Regular

Exclamation Classical Music Lover

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    ...and good morning, sir,

I have been very lucky regarding equipment and a lack of malfunctions so I can't really be helpful there. Something that struck me about your post:

1) you have recently traded out amplifiers (which would remove one variable)
    and more crucially...
    2)you have heard this sound on completely seperate systems (which would remove all variables)

It seems as if the only variable that hasn't been removed is you, especially as others are having a hard time grasping your complaint. When was the last time you had your hearing checked? ( I hope very much that I am wrong and forgive me if that seemed impertinent as it was not meant to be)
    It has been quite a while since I had my hearing checked. I did recently listen to an online hearing test, but I doubt that this is valid...even so on the online hearing test I heard signals up to 11,000 cycles...generally I think I hear well enough, although there are some voices that I have a hard time with..its usually the young girl with a nasal twang that I can't make out...I HEAR her, but what she says is all jumbled up. There are other instances when I believe that my hearing 'ain't what it used to be' - I also have arthritis and an enlarged prostate....I have some hair, but my hairline is more than receded....but I do have a good appetite. I thank you for your interest in what I talked about in my 'thread' - I did get some good replies, one of which agreed with me. That made me feel a mite better. I was going to turn myself in, but now I don't believe I have to do that. I think Feanor and I agree that this kind of sound is present on many CDs...and that there isn't very much the listener can do about it..perhaps in time the recording companies will become aware of it and clean it all up and give us pure musical sound without any aberrations. Thanks again for your remarks, and no I don't take any offense at them at all! God bless you!

Old man Bingo (83 years of age)

Forum Regular

Smile Classical Music Lover

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    RFI manifests itself in that way creating an artificially "zingy" top that is amusical. Which is what better cabling of all sorts can help trap before the amplication stages see it. CD players are quite effective RFI generators along with all sorts of other digital equipment plugged into the AC throughout a modern house.

I find the audible difference when such is gone similar to the improvements achieved using bass traps - albeit at the other end of the spectrum. In each case, however, removing the artificial haze allows you to hear more clearly the highs - or lows as the case may be when devoid of the grunge (or room nodes).

rw
    Thanks for your advice. I think perhaps I was not clear enough in describing what I had in mind...it seems that Feanor got it right, but the kind of sound I wanted to describe is not likely to be corrected with cables or even better components. I think it is going to be something in the recording process that will have to be addressed. I learned along the way that there is a kind of infra-sonic filter used in recording that is often forgotten or omitted and this will result in a low end aberration..a kind of rumble...but the kind of sound I am talking about is in the high end and as Feanor said it is probably an interaction of musical instruments or some kind of harmonic interplay that causes this. I am really not expecting a solution, I only wanted to know that there was at least one other person who heard the same sound....and I did find one. But I appreciate your input, everyone that has something to say is worth listening to..its the way I learn. So thanks!

Bingo

Hello Bingo,

i have to go with E-Stat on this one. Its most likely the speakers and equipment. I had this experience with quite a few of my systems but most of the digital harshness is now gone with my current system.

Cheers
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Hi Bingo! What you are describing is the reason I don't like metal domed tweeters. I don't know if your current speakers have metal domes but metal domes always sounded that way to me. Actually I hear a little of it in all dome tweeters.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Up & Coming Bottlehead jt1stcav's Avatar
    Lakeland, inbetween Tampa and Orlando, Florida
    It could be the equipment or the recordings or both...I have no way of knowing. But I too have noticed this affect at high volume with pipe organ music as well, especially when the organ is in full crescendo and all stops are drawn, including reeds and mixtures.

The mixture ranks on a pipe organ are made up of several ranks of pipes per note, each pipe playing a third, fifth, or seventh, etc. above unison pitch; in essence between 3 to 5 notes actually playing all at once while a single key on the keyboard is depressed. Imagine playing a chord with both hands so 8 or 9 keys are being played at one time; with a III or IV rank mixture added, there are an additional 24 to 36 notes being played on top of all the other ranks of pipes that make up the ensamble...there are a helluva lot of pipes being played at the same time!

Usually I hear this "harmonic interplay" (thanks, Bingo) at full organ playing large chords from middle C and above on the keyboard (the higher the notes the more noticable it is). And I've noticed this with all my equipment and loudspeakers (and my system has changed completely quite a few times over the years, even from SS to tube). I don't recall hearing this effect during live organ recitals in a church or music hall, or with live orchestral and voice performances (or at rock concerts for that matter)...only in all recordings in all formats (and not just certain ones). Maybe I have heard this during louder live performances; I just don't remember since I don't recall ever concentrating on this particular phenomena.

Thought I was crazy...hell, I am crazy anyway!
    ~ Jim Tidwell ~

"Uh, jazz flute is for little fairy boys." - Veronica Corningstone

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    But before I do, I'd like to say that unless you are a Classical Music Listener, such as symphonies, concertos or ballet music rendered by large orchestras, you probably would never hear this. On most popular music, rock 'n roll or rap or Jazz in small groups, I don't think the anomaly presents itself at all.
    I actually listen to quite a bit of classical music. I tend to like the bigger orchestral stuff like Dvorak's 9th, Holst's Planets, Mussorgsky's Pictures (as orchestrated by Ravel), but do listen to the occasional chamber music and such, such as Schubert's Piano Trio in E flat. You have any Hillary Hahn? She's my current favourite violinist by a long shot -- really puts herself into everything she does. If her name's on it, I'll get it -- even if it's a composer I don't usually listen to. I just got finished listening to the entire Mahler Symphony and Orchestral Song cycle by Bernstein. I have multiple versions of most of the above mentioned works, so if you have any of those that exhibit or not the problem, please do tell, because though I may not have a really refined speaker system right now that's working, I have a really refined headphone system, and access to even more refined headphones systems through friends.

I know I don't look like your stereotypical classical music lover, but I really am, and I've been listening to even more of it lately. I wanted to know because I can rule out the recording if there's one that we both have in common.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

Classical Music Lover

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Hi Bingo! What you are describing is the reason I don't like metal domed tweeters. I don't know if your current speakers have metal domes but metal domes always sounded that way to me. Actually I hear a little of it in all dome tweeters.
    Hi Joe E - No, I don't have metal 'dome' tweeters, but I have metal (aluminum) ribbon tweeters... Mine are LCY Ribbon Tweeters and I always thought that they tweet nicely. But you may be right, since even though they are 'ribbon' they are 'aluminum' ...so who knows? I'd like to say though that about 85 percent or more of my violin music is very accurate...nothing amiss on most recordings. Maybe we will never get to the bottom of this..huh.....
    Old man Bingo

Forum Regular

Question Classical Music Lover

Quote Originally Posted by jt1stcav
    It could be the equipment or the recordings or both...I have no way of knowing. But I too have noticed this affect at high volume with pipe organ music as well, especially when the organ is in full crescendo and all stops are drawn, including reeds and mixtures.

The mixture ranks on a pipe organ are made up of several ranks of pipes per note, each pipe playing a third, fifth, or seventh, etc. above unison pitch; in essence between 3 to 5 notes actually playing all at once while a single key on the keyboard is depressed. Imagine playing a chord with both hands so 8 or 9 keys are being played at one time; with a III or IV rank mixture added, there are an additional 24 to 36 notes being played on top of all the other ranks of pipes that make up the ensamble...there are a helluva lot of pipes being played at the same time!

Usually I hear this "harmonic interplay" (thanks, Bingo) at full organ playing large chords from middle C and above on the keyboard (the higher the notes the more noticable it is). And I've noticed this with all my equipment and loudspeakers (and my system has changed completely quite a few times over the years, even from SS to tube). I don't recall hearing this effect during live organ recitals in a church or music hall, or with live orchestral and voice performances (or at rock concerts for that matter)...only in all recordings in all formats (and not just certain ones). Maybe I have heard this during louder live performances; I just don't remember since I don't recall ever concentrating on this particular phenomena.

Thought I was crazy...hell, I am crazy anyway!
    Oddly enough, on a pipe organ (I don't have many pipe Organ recordings) I do not notice this aberration at all! But then the only Pipe Organ CD I have is E. Power Biggs where he plays among other things Tocatto and Fugue in D Minor. On this CD the sound is clean as a whistle, pristine...elegant....aberration free. I must add that my SVS SB 12 Plus subwoofer (Hi Grandpaw) carries the low organ pedal notes on that in grand style! I do believe, however, that because of my inability to describe this sound well, many are confusing it with other kinds of aberrations. But that's okay! As I hear more and more comments like yours, I gain a lot! Thanks for helping out!

Old Man Bingo (83)

Forum Regular

Wink Classical Music Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    I actually listen to quite a bit of classical music. I tend to like the bigger orchestral stuff like Dvorak's 9th, Holst's Planets, Mussorgsky's Pictures (as orchestrated by Ravel), but do listen to the occasional chamber music and such, such as Schubert's Piano Trio in E flat. You have any Hillary Hahn? She's my current favourite violinist by a long shot -- really puts herself into everything she does. If her name's on it, I'll get it -- even if it's a composer I don't usually listen to. I just got finished listening to the entire Mahler Symphony and Orchestral Song cycle by Bernstein. I have multiple versions of most of the above mentioned works, so if you have any of those that exhibit or not the problem, please do tell, because though I may not have a really refined speaker system right now that's working, I have a really refined headphone system, and access to even more refined headphones systems through friends.

I know I don't look like your stereotypical classical music lover, but I really am, and I've been listening to even more of it lately. I wanted to know because I can rule out the recording if there's one that we both have in common.
    Dusty Chalk - Glad you spoke up! I am familiar with all of the Classical works that you listen to. Through the years I heard most all of what you list on Vinyl - before the CD was popular. I'm quite a fan of Mahler, a composer you recently listened to.... but yes, in this kind of music the aberration that I describe so imperfectly does occur sometimes - but before I list a particular recording that has it I want to try once more to clarify what I have been referring to.... The sound is 'in' the music, but it is not 'identifiable' clearly as a violin, but I believe it is 'supposed' to be a violin or another very high register instrument - perhaps a flute, but not an oboe. The sound should actually be a part of the orchestra, but trying to identify it as a particular instrument, as you can see now, is difficult. On a Telarc CD entitled "Rodgers and Hamerstein Songbook Orchestra" you can hear this sound frequently. I suggest if you can get hold of the album that you go to track 8 (The Sound of Music) where I believe the sound is more frequent...anyway, it does occur all through this album and is less obvious in some tracks and more in others. Thanks again, Dusty, for your input...I appreciate it very much! Let me know if you get to hear the Telarc CD.

Hearing impaired Bingo

Forum Regular

Smile Classical Music Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Hello Bingo,

i have to go with E-Stat on this one. Its most likely the speakers and equipment. I had this experience with quite a few of my systems but most of the digital harshness is now gone with my current system.

Cheers
    Florian: I am truly wondering if we are talking about the same sound. First of all I have some fairly decent equipment - like Orsa speakers, a Cary CD player and an NAD C 370 integrated amp...of course there's a lot of stuff far superior to mine as yours may well be, but I have heard this aberration on a friend's speakers and his rig costs thousands of dollars...But it is not YOUR fault that we may be talking about something different..it is because of, as I have admitted, my own inability to accurately describe what I am talking about. Makes me wonder if I were able to hear your system if I would still hear this sound. I'm glad, however, that you are now enjoying a system that produces pristine sound...what makes up your system? I just thought I can look it up when I get through typing this and I will. Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it!

My take on equipment

Florian: I am truly wondering if we are talking about the same sound. First of all I have some fairly decent equipment - like Orsa speakers, a Cary CD player and an NAD C 370 integrated amp......
    Bingo, as I said -- and I believe you agree -- this is not entirely an equipment issue and can't entirely be solve with equipment swaps or upgrades. Nor is it necessarily an RFI problem though that might be a contributing factor.

Nevertheless I believe that better equipment, especially better resolution, will minimize or mitigate the problem we've been discussing. In particular, given a choice between a CD upgrade and an amplifier upgrade, I'd start with the latter. I have owned a NAD C270 and I feel that it is a "mid-fi" amp in terms of resolution. As I recall, you were asking about the Bel Canto eVo2i intigrated at one point, and I can assure you it is a huge step up in terms of resolution over the NAD. And I can assure you also that it is no artifact of RFI or the like, but a genuine increase in resolution and transparency. This sort of improvement, (and I'm not suggesting the Bel Canto is the only way to get it), would go a long way to improve your enjoyment of orchestral violins and choral works. I doubt you'll get the same degree of improvement by upgrading you Cary CD player.

Forum Regular

Wink Classical Music Lover

Bill Bailey - you are right! I think this whole process has provided me with some interesting and useful information. I wanted to ask you about the connection of my subwoofer to the Bel Canto eVo2i - now I got from pre-out to main in and supposedly that way the amp 'manages' the bass...if I got the Bel Canto I'd have to go to two possibilities..one cable from amp to subwoofer or I could run speaker wires from the sub to my Orsa monitors....I don't much like either of those connections. ??? If the Bel Canto had the pre-out main-in connecions I'd be fine.

Bingo

Sadly ...

Bill Bailey - you are right! I think this whole process has provided me with some interesting and useful information. I wanted to ask you about the connection of my subwoofer to the Bel Canto eVo2i - now I got from pre-out to main in and supposedly that way the amp 'manages' the bass...if I got the Bel Canto I'd have to go to two possibilities..one cable from amp to subwoofer or I could run speaker wires from the sub to my Orsa monitors....I don't much like either of those connections. ??? If the Bel Canto had the pre-out main-in connecions I'd be fine.

Bingo
    The Bel Canto eVo2i has pre-out but no main-in connectors; nor can you used Tape-out/Tape-In as an external loop because the unit allow won't that. Actually this is quite a pain in the butt if you want to use any sort of external processor: crossover, EQ, whatever. This issue contributed to my decission to go to separates.

With the Bel, I ran a subwoofer from the pre-outs; this was alright in my case since I could run my main speakers full range and use the sub's built in low-pass. (Note that now I use this basic arrangement with my separates -- see my configuration, below.)

Forum Regular

The reason I'd like to know if anyone else has ever encountered this peculiar anomaly is that I'd like to get rid of it, and I don't know from which component it might be coming. Could it be the speaker? The CD Player? The Integrated Amplifier? The CD? I recently auditioned a Bryston Integrated amplifier in place of my usual NAD C370 Integrated amp...and the peculiar sound was in both amplifiers...the CD player was constant. This tempts me to try another CD player to see if I note any change. If no one responds to this 'thread' I plan to 'turn myself in' very soon.

Bingo
    I listen mostly to classical music and have a fairly varied collection.

Nothing the matter with NAD amps, wouldn't expect them to sound much different from a Bryston. I doubt if it's the CD player as well unless there's something wrong with it and there doesn't appear to be. I suspect it's something in the recordings, speakers, or the speaker placement.

But really, as Dusty said, unless we can find some common recordings to try out, it's very difficult to know just what you are talking about. When I audition speakers, I sometimes use a passage with a lot of upper strings in Rachmaninoff's Second Symphony beginning about a minute and a half into the first movement. The particular recording doesn't seem to matter that much--the fine old Ormandy on Sony, Previn on Telarc, or Anissimov on Naxos, for example.
    Last edited by Pat D; 01-16-2007 at 08:38 PM.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Up & Coming Bottlehead jt1stcav's Avatar
    Lakeland, inbetween Tampa and Orlando, Florida
    Oddly enough, on a pipe organ (I don't have many pipe Organ recordings) I do not notice this aberration at all! But then the only Pipe Organ CD I have is E. Power Biggs where he plays among other things Tocatto and Fugue in D Minor. On this CD the sound is clean as a whistle, pristine...elegant....aberration free. I must add that my SVS SB 12 Plus subwoofer (Hi Grandpaw) carries the low organ pedal notes on that in grand style! I do believe, however, that because of my inability to describe this sound well, many are confusing it with other kinds of aberrations. But that's okay! As I hear more and more comments like yours, I gain a lot! Thanks for helping out!

Old Man Bingo (83)
    Maybe I am confusing what you're describing with what I've heard (or thought I've heard) over the years. I just purchased a new pair of Klipsch RB-75 two-way monitors last month, and since I've read this thread I've been listening for these abnormal alterations with these horn speakers. With the RB-75s I'm not noticing this aberration within the higher notes of full organ passages while at 90dB or more...none at all to be precise! Whatever I thought I heard before in most if not all of my recordings I'm now not detecting whatsoever, which leads me to believe that my previous loudspeakers were the cause of this distortion of sorts. I don't know what to think concerning this phenomena, but to my ears it seems the Klipsch may have reduced or eliminated this problem alltogether!

FWIW...
    ~ Jim Tidwell ~

"Uh, jazz flute is for little fairy boys." - Veronica Corningstone

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1stcav
    Maybe I am confusing what you're describing with what I've heard (or thought I've heard) over the years. I just purchased a new pair of Klipsch RB-75 two-way monitors last month, and since I've read this thread I've been listening for these abnormal alterations with these horn speakers. With the RB-75s I'm not noticing this aberration within the higher notes of full organ passages while at 90dB or more...none at all to be precise! Whatever I thought I heard before in most if not all of my recordings I'm now not detecting whatsoever, which leads me to believe that my previous loudspeakers were the cause of this distortion of sorts. I don't know what to think concerning this phenomena, but to my ears it seems the Klipsch may have reduced or eliminated this problem alltogether!

FWIW...
    Jim: Interesting as all get out. I am so glad that whatever you heard in the Pipe Organ music has disappeared in the Klipsch Horn Loaded Speakers! I do still wonder though if what you heard is what I am talking about. Sound is not easy to describe in words is it? We all try very hard to be accurate and yet somehow we are very easily misunderstood. I do like what I like to call "CLEAN" sound and sound that I say has a "BLOOM" - but I'll bet two bucks that not many people could translate 'clean' and 'bloom' into an idea that would agree with what I mean by it. HA! But this batting around of word descriptions is fun to me...it gives me something to strive for. I like to try and understand when people write reviews that have terms that seem sensible...but often they do not truly clarify. For instance: I heard one reviewer write that 'the sound is liquid'...Liquid? Perhaps the guy who wrote that knows preciselyi what HE meant by it, but I'm still wondering. I think we all get a pretty good idea with terms like 'warm' and/or 'transparent' ...well...about transparent I'm not so sure! See what I mean? Anyway Jim, I'm happy that your new speakers have been all that you had hoped they would be.

Nolan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information