Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by M.T.Nest
    ...Gary Liebowitz
    Hello and welcome. Care to elaborate? He does not show up in any search.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I'm guessing that's the poster's name HyFi...a little self fulfilling prophecy. Today's bass philosophy question is, Can A Bass Player Play As Good As Themself?

Forum Regular

Gary Liebowitz

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Hello and welcome. Care to elaborate? He does not show up in any search.
    Sorry...you'd know him as Geddy Lee. In one of Rush's albums, the liner notes included a story about him being given the nickname "Geddy" because that's what it sounded like when his mother called for him in the neighborhood "GEDDY, GEDDY LIEEEEEEBOWITZ" and that "LEE" was just his shortened last name. Or words to that effect.

I just wasted an hour trying to confirm that online, and it seems that it was crap. Geddy's first name, according to the both Wikipedia and the Rush Oddities web site, is Gary, his given MIDDLE name is Lee, and his last name is/was Weinrib.

So, to quote my favorite TV philosopher's signature line whenever he makes a fool of himself, "D'oh!"

Whatever his name, I still think he is/was one of the best bassists ever.

Kevin

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

S.m.v.

thats stanley, marcus, and victor. a friend went to see them and even though he isnt an aficionado, he was really jazzed. so yesterday i snagged a used copy and found it to be quite entertaining and a good subwoofer workout.

if they come around again in performance here in LA, i may just have to attend.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:diftxztkld6e

the above link is to their solitary CD and review thereof.

silly putty on stanley's 'journey to love' album is a true bass demo. i first heard it on stacked advents driven by a phase linear 700 (or 700II) and the grill cloths were leaping from the enclosure-literally.

victor's performance on flight of the cosmic hippo from bela fleck and the flecktones is another demo quality cut.

i dont have one for marcus although he certainly can play and there must be a particular cut by him that would fit the demo description. i truly love the albums he did with miles such as tutu and siesta.
    ...regards...tr

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Hey PappaC...Laboriel is my favorite bass player of all times. That is a rather mild clip of him...I mean that guy can cut a rug with that bass...and he mostly plays a 8 string bass and he plays many kinds of music...I mean from gospel to jazz to you name it He is a very popular studio musician. Have you seen him cut a rug...feet kicking all up in the air and stuff? He has a son that also plays the drums. Do you have any Bootsie ?

frenchmon

Edit...thats 5 string bass
    I have seen him several times with GRP bands including Rittenour.

Part 2

Not sure if they've been mentioned, but I do think Percy Jones, Tony Levin and Vinny Shillito ought to be nominated. Percy Jones’ contributions to Brand X are, in my estimation, some of the deftest I have ever heard. He has a subtlety of presence that makes him nearly invisible…I can listen to it for hours without getting tired. Tony Levin is a very musical bassist, and can play his instrument in any number of astonishing ways. One moment he growls and plucks like a bad-ass monster; at others, his sonorous offerings are as liquid as Yo Yo Ma’s cello…Listen to some cuts from his Waters of Eden, and tell me if you don't hear something special. Finally, special mention should go to Vinny Shillito, who’s ready and nimble playing I only recently learned about while listening to the Ozric Tentacles. On their newest album, The Yum Yum Tree, the Ozrics play a mish-mash of fusion, psychedelic funk and jazz, that is simply some of the most exciting stuff I have enjoyed as of late. Shillito’s bass is agile, assured and not at all overbearing. While certainly not a step-aside continuo performer, Shillito’s thumping and throbbing brings an almost heart-beat quality to the music that just draws you in…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9BD3JS2DRI
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Not sure if they've been mentioned, but I do think Percy Jones, Tony Levin and Vinny Shillito ought to be nominated. Percy Jones’ contributions to Brand X are, in my estimation, some of the deftest I have ever heard. He has a subtlety of presence that makes him nearly invisible…I can listen to it for hours without getting tired. Tony Levin is a very musical bassist, and can play his instrument in any number of astonishing ways. One moment he growls and plucks like a bad-ass monster; at others, his sonorous offerings are as liquid as Yo Yo Ma’s cello…Finally, special mention should go to Vinny Shillito, who’s ready and nimble playing I only recently learned about while listening to the Ozric Tentacles. On their newest album, The Yum Yum Tree, the Ozrics play a mish-mash of fusion, psychedelic funk and jazz, that is simply some of the most exciting stuff I have enjoyed as of late. Shillito’s bass is agile, assured and not at all overbearing. While certainly not a step-aside continuo performer, Shillito’s thumping and throbbing brings an almost heart-beat quality to the music that just draws you in…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9BD3JS2DRI
    Levin is on page 1 but Percy was not mentioned I believe. Good call!

Ahem....

Why I play bass guitar....

http://www.theonion.com/content/radi...layer_fellated

And one more word.....
    "The Baddest Bass Player in the Country Willie Weeks y'all."

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Why I play bass guitar....

http://www.theonion.com/content/radi...layer_fellated

And one more word.....
    "The Baddest Bass Player in the Country Willie Weeks y'all."

Dave
    Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information