Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    check Booty teaching funk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHE6hZU72A4
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Yes man. I am a huge Bootsy fan. I have all of his Rubber Band releases. I also have an enviable collection of P-Funk original vinyl.

His work was great with P-Funk but I also REALLY enjoyed what he did with the JB's. That is, the James Brown Revue. Much more groundbreaking IMO.

Yes sir...im with you bro, im with you.

frenchmon

Suspended
    Nobody mentioned Mark Egan.

But, here is another video you should not miss. Clarke-Wooten_miller doing School Days from the SMV tour last year.

Great post HyFi. Man they have tone to kill for. The intro bit in the first minute, those chords sound brilliant.

There's been alot of no mentions here. We can slowly add them all in, no rush. As I've already said, when the board is slow, it gives us bass types something to do.

Suspended

Mark Egan

Here is Mark Egan with the Pat Metheny Band doing their tribute to Jaco. I saw this band in 77 or 78 whenever the first white self titled album came out in a college auditorium.

Suspended
    And lets not forget Les

Hey HIFi...who are those guys...they are kicking man or I should say smoking man

frenchmon

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Hey HIFi...who are those guys...they are kicking man or I should say smoking man

frenchmon
    That last post of HyFi's is Primus frenchy.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

dontcha just love em all?

stanley clarke's album 'journey to love' has a GREAT bass demo cut-silly putty-first heard on stacked advents driven by a phase linear 700 at pacific stereo on topanga in canoga park california. the grill cloths were LEAPING away from the cabinets!

victor with the flecktones on 'flight of the cosmic hippo' on the cd of the same name traverses the lows like no other cd.

and marcus on the miles album-tutu-is exemplary. i wish i had seen the smv tour when it was going.

but i HAVE seen abe a lot and his videos dont do him justice. living here in LA has its benefits between earthquakes.
    ...regards...tr

Suspended
    Ok heres a fine lady playing the bass.
    Here is Tal Wilkenfeld playing from her solo release, Serendipity. Please watch a few others from the page and be dazzled.

Then of course, Julie Slick! No great vids with good sound but you can get the point here. Keep in mind, the bass line Julie is playing on her Lackland was originally written and performed on a stick and is extremely hard to pull off on a standard bass.

Suspended

frenchmon
    Yeah, as Pappa pointed out, that was Les Claypool with one of his many bands, Primus. He is one whacked out bassist that leaves many others in the dust with his talent. He just gets under recognized because he is not mainstream.

He also plays with Buckethead at times in place of Lasswell.

WOW! Thanks for the post HyFi. I've never heard of Tal. So impressive. She's so tiny but check out her reach, her span is wild. Plus, she's a very natural performer, fun to watch. I'll be checking out that album for sure. Have you heard it?

One of my faves. Flea. I find his style more accessible than say, Claypool. Just love his note selection and sense of time. This vid is a great example of his "awesomeness".

I still spin Blood Sugar Sex Magic. For any of you guys who have never jammed any of those tracks, try em out. So much fun. The title track is still one of my all time fave bass songs to jam on, Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Funnest song he ever wrote. Plucking minor chords just feels and sounds so big, it's addictive.

Anyhow, enjoy!!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    WOW! Thanks for the post HyFi. I've never heard of Tal. So impressive. She's so tiny but check out her reach, her span is wild. Plus, she's a very natural performer, fun to watch. I'll be checking out that album for sure. Have you heard it?
    I have an eval copy i could send you if you IM your addy. It's hard to find and expensive if you do. Check out her gigs with Jeff Beck who she has been playing with for a few years.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    One of my faves. Flea.
    Now here is a player who I feel would be better off outside of RHCP. I just can't get into their 'stop start every song sounds the same' style. The singer irritates me also but Flea is an awesome player on his own.

Suspended

One Armed Bass

I have no idea who this is but saw this video a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    stanley clarke's album 'journey to love' has a GREAT bass demo cut-silly putty-first heard on stacked advents driven by a phase linear 700 at pacific stereo on topanga in canoga park california. the grill cloths were LEAPING away from the cabinets!

victor with the flecktones on 'flight of the cosmic hippo' on the cd of the same name traverses the lows like no other cd.

and marcus on the miles album-tutu-is exemplary. i wish i had seen the smv tour when it was going.

but i HAVE seen abe a lot and his videos dont do him justice. living here in LA has its benefits between earthquakes.
    You got that right...Abe is a total act on that bass...he can really cut a rug while playing that thing.

frenchmon

HiFi...she's great and so young...that means she can only continue to evolve in her craft...Beck is one of my favorites btw.

frenchmon

Suspended

TM Stevens

TM Stevens was mentioned, but here is a clip for those who have never seen this master.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Now here is a player who I feel would be better off outside of RHCP. I just can't get into their 'stop start every song sounds the same' style. The singer irritates me also but Flea is an awesome player on his own.
    You are quite correct. I haven't enjoyed too much since BSSM.

Have you heard The Mars Volta HyFi? Their debut album featured Flea on bass. Simply put, amazing. If you would like to hear your words in action, this would be it. He never did any touring with them and frankly, the bass work has never been up to snuff following that performance.

I would describe this release as a must have for any bass player/musician. It's really a treat, also produced by Rick Rubin. frenchmon, you reading this? You would enjoy this release. I think you would find it refreshing. Imagine if Floyd/Zeppelin/Santana jumped into a time machine in 1971, and arrived in 2020.

I can provide it for you guys if you like.

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

Very nice videos guy's. I did read up on the one arm bass player in Bass Player magazine but I can't remember his name but he does have a solo album out with his work on it and from what I hear its pretty cool what he can do with just his left hand. Yeah Poppa I am more of a Flea person myself, I just like his smooth playing style and like how humble he is about his playing. Did you know that Flea has come out with his own line of Bass guitars? He actually uses them himself and the funny thing is that he made sure they were priced for the starving musician to afford them. the main thing he said in the interview I read with him talking about them is that when he was starting to play it took him a long time to be able to afford a high quality bass and he wanted to give back to the musicians by making a super high quality model that is affordable. I have yet to play one but I would love to if given the chance.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Forum Regular

Wink If Only I Could Play Like...

...Gary Liebowitz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast