Thread: Banana Plugs

Cool Banana Plugs

I saw this link posted somewhere else. Someone reported that the store is reputable, someone else reported they are nice quality, and the price is right if you can use them IMHO.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchan...ode=AHH_Banana
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Quote Originally Posted by TinHere
    I saw this link posted somewhere else. Someone reported that the store is reputable, someone else reported they are nice quality, and the price is right if you can use them IMHO.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchan...ode=AHH_Banana

Well, if stacking is needed, these would be the wrong plugs.

Here is a different option:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=091-334

-Bruce

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by FLZapped
    Well, if stacking is needed, these would be the wrong plugs.

Here is a different option:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=091-334

-Bruce
    Bruce,

I use those same Bananas from Partexpress. They are good plugs but the only thing that kindof irks me is that the lock down screws don't stay really tight. They tend to lossen up pretty easily. Granted, this is only a problem is you are always unplugging and plugging them. I don't so no big deal. They are a great value for the price. Good heavy build quality.

JSE

Forum Regular
    JSE; My brother just bought some Dayton banana plugs. He was very satisfied with the price and quality.

Forum Regular

Question

So when would you want to use Banana clips? What is the advantage?

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by rileychris
    Advantages?

Sound - None

Ease of use - Very helpful and convenient. You can simply plug and unplug. No need to tighen or loosen binding post. Of course, if you never really disconnect or connect your speakers it's really not an issue.

JSE

If you've put in and moved as many HT systems as I have...

Quote Originally Posted by rileychris
    You'll get down on your knees and thank Jehovah for Banana Plugs. BP's with labled lines make making sense of the rat's nest behind your system sooo much easier.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular
    Call me an idiot...but uhh...how exactly you do you use these "bananas?" Does someone have a picture of how these are connected to the back of the binding posts on a reciever?

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by r3dline
    Call me an idiot...but uhh...how exactly you do you use these "bananas?" Does someone have a picture of how these are connected to the back of the binding posts on a reciever?
    You plug them directly into the back of your binding post. Look at the back of your receiver. The binding post should have holes in the middle of them. They sometimes may have plugs in the holes so you will need to remove them. Also, it seems that some cheaper binding post don't have holes in them. If that's the case, then bananas no worky.

JSE

Forum Regular
    I always wondered what that hole was for...

Hell...will just some decent monster cable banana plugs do me alright? Cuz I'm gonna go pick some up this weekend. LoL

Red face Just make sure of one thing...

Quote Originally Posted by r3dline
    I always wondered what that hole was for...

Hell...will just some decent monster cable banana plugs do me alright? Cuz I'm gonna go pick some up this weekend. LoL
    Make sure the plugs in question will fit your receiver. I found some Rat Shack Banana plugs didn't fit in the posts on my Onkyo 898 receiver. I found this out the hard way. If you buy several sets to hook up a 5.1, don't open them all at once. Check and see if they snap in and fit right and tight. If they don't you should be able to take them back. Keep the receipt and be careful. Also Monster Banana Plugs are ridiculously expensive. Buy some online form Parts Express or other places. Rat Shacks are over priced as well, at least some solderless models are.

Good Luck...

Da Worfster

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Bruce,

I use those same Bananas from Partexpress. They are good plugs but the only thing that kindof irks me is that the lock down screws don't stay really tight. They tend to lossen up pretty easily. Granted, this is only a problem is you are always unplugging and plugging them. I don't so no big deal. They are a great value for the price. Good heavy build quality.

JSE
    I find that to be true with most Banana Plugs. You have to torque the screws until they just about shatter.

-Bruce

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Make sure the plugs in question will fit your receiver. I found some Rat Shack Banana plugs didn't fit in the posts on my Onkyo 898 receiver. I found this out the hard way. If you buy several sets to hook up a 5.1, don't open them all at once. Check and see if they snap in and fit right and tight. If they don't you should be able to take them back. Keep the receipt and be careful. Also Monster Banana Plugs are ridiculously expensive. Buy some online form Parts Express or other places. Rat Shacks are over priced as well, at least some solderless models are.

Good Luck...

Da Worfster

Also, if you buy a pair like these,

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=091-332

make sure the spacing of the binding post on your speakers will accept them. Some speakers have larger than normal spacing between their post so these would not work. Receivers tend to be pretty standard on spacing with some exceptions.

If your speakers have larger spacing, go with something like these,

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1260

Anyway, just something to consider when buying.

JSE

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by FLZapped
    I find that to be true with most Banana Plugs. You have to torque the screws until they just about shatter.

-Bruce

Funny, I actually stripped out a couple of old banana plugs that I liberated from my father years ago. Not sure what brand they were. I got a pair of pliers and some vice-grips and needless to say, they lasted about two cranks. I actually sheered one of the binding screws in half. Darm, this superhuman strength is a Beeeaaaatchhh sometimes.

JSE

Thread Information