Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 136
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Audiophiles beware, the other senses are more connected than you think.

  1. #76
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    The BJC's were very fatiguing and bright while the AQ's were pleasing with no fatigue and a warmer sound.

    And you should not be so quick to judge a system that you have not heard in person. That $1300 system is detailed with pretty good resolution, in fact it is astounding at how good it sounded. But you don't need excellent detail and resolution to hear the difference of a bright system and warm system and fatigue and non fatigue. Now if you want to listen for other nuances of cable differences then I am in total agreement with you.

    It was an eye opening experience for me as I was a skeptic about cables sounding different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Curiously I found my BJC's slightly rolled off vs. the Transparent The Link. Mine are the Belden 1505F-based version; are your BJCs the LC-1?

    What AudioQuest cables are you using?
    Here we see two very subjective results based on their hearing. (Not critizing your hearing) and based on sight bias. This is the kind of thing that would be eliminated under controlled listening tests without knowledge which cable is being used during the test. Controlled tests also eliminates relying on one's acoustic memory which as been demonstrated time and time again to be unreliable with respect to nuances that come into play.

  2. #77
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by 3db View Post
    Here we see two very subjective results based on their hearing. (Not critizing your hearing) and based on sight bias. This is the kind of thing that would be eliminated under controlled listening tests without knowledge which cable is being used during the test. Controlled tests also eliminates relying on one's acoustic memory which as been demonstrated time and time again to be unreliable with respect to nuances that come into play.
    I can only agree.

  3. #78
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,422
    First of all, Feanor and I were using 2 different BJ cables. The LC-1's have ultra low capacitance which tends to favor the higher frequencies.

    Secondly, the difference was not subtle, it was night and day. I can understand a bias if the differences were subtle. And in this case my son did not know that I had changed the cables to the BJ's from the AQ's. He walked into the room and immediately heard a difference. Listener fatigue was also clearly evident after about 15-20 minutes. Brighter sounding music which was listenable with the AQ's was not with the BJ's in his system. I guess we were imagining that. You don't need acoustic memory to experience fatigue.

    I also feel that I have excellent acoustic memory. I have been tube rolling and op amp swapping for years and can pick out the subtle differences between my tubes (and op amps) to the point that I could tell you which tubes were in my Van Alstine gear.

    (by the way, I am not saying that I can always hear differences among cables. I guy on the forum sent my some Synergistic cables to try and I could not really tell a difference with them)

    I guess all you poor souls that have no acoustic memory can't tell the difference between speakers, preamps, DAC's etc. Acoustic memory is involved with here as well. It makes me wonder how you were able to pick out your gear.

    I am done with this subject because it is futile as you naysayers have your minds made up because you were not there to hear the BIG differences between the 2 cables
    Last edited by blackraven; 06-10-2014 at 06:32 AM.
    Mr Peabody likes this.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  4. #79
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I have to disagree with your comment about my son and I being biased. We did this without any preconceived notions about which cable would sound better. In fact, I swapped the cables without my son knowing that I had done so (although he did know that we were going to do the swap as some point). I was listening to the system with music that he was very familiar with and he walked into the room and he immediately said why does it sound so bright. He actually thought I swapped a tube as I had bought a couple of new tubes to try in his preamp.

    You don't need a double blind test and a recording studio to be able to tell the difference between the 2 cables that we tested as the difference was not subtle. The BJC's were very fatiguing and bright while the AQ's were pleasing with no fatigue and a warmer sound.

    And you should not be so quick to judge a system that you have not heard in person. That $1300 system is detailed with pretty good resolution, in fact it is astounding at how good it sounded. But you don't need excellent detail and resolution to hear the difference of a bright system and warm system and fatigue and non fatigue. Now if you want to listen for other nuances of cable differences then I am in total agreement with you.

    It was an eye opening experience for me as I was a skeptic about cables sounding different.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    First of all, Feanor and I were using 2 different BJ cables. The LC-1's have ultra low capacitance which tends to favor the higher frequencies.

    Secondly, the difference was not subtle, it was night and day. I can understand a bias if the differences were subtle. And in this case my son did not know that I had changed the cables to the BJ's from the AQ's. He walked into the room and immediately heard a difference. Listener fatigue was also clearly evident after about 15-20 minutes. Brighter sounding music which was listenable with the AQ's was not with the BJ's in his system. I guess we were imagining that. You don't need acoustic memory to experience fatigue.

    I also feel that I have excellent acoustic memory. I have been tube rolling and op amp swapping for years and can pick out the subtle differences between my tubes (and op amps) to the point that I could tell you which tubes were in my Van Alstine gear.

    (by the way, I am not saying that I can always hear differences among cables. I guy on the forum sent my some Synergistic cables to try and I could not really tell a difference with them)

    I guess all you poor souls that have no acoustic memory can't tell the difference between speakers, preamps, DAC's etc. Acoustic memory is involved with here as well. It makes me wonder how you were able to pick out your gear.

    I am done with this subject because it is futile as you naysayers have your minds made up because you were not there to hear the BIG differences between the 2 cables
    Accurate acoustic memory is a phallacy and has been demonstrated by Dr. Floyd Toole in his extensive works in acoustics. Its only human. Making such claims put syou into the X-Men class of super humans. Subjective claims cannot be used as proof for the general populous. It only works for the listener claiming the results. I bet you dollar to donuts that your subjective claims would fall away under controlled listening tests.

    The rest of us mere mortals rely on controlled tests and good book keeping to keep our auditions straight.

  5. #80
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    First of all, Feanor and I were using 2 different BJ cables. The LC-1's have ultra low capacitance which tends to favor the higher frequencies.

    Secondly, the difference was not subtle, it was night and day. I can understand a bias if the differences were subtle. And in this case my son did not know that I had changed the cables to the BJ's from the AQ's. He walked into the room and immediately heard a difference. Listener fatigue was also clearly evident after about 15-20 minutes. Brighter sounding music which was listenable with the AQ's was not with the BJ's in his system. I guess we were imagining that. You don't need acoustic memory to experience fatigue.

    I also feel that I have excellent acoustic memory. I have been tube rolling and op amp swapping for years and can pick out the subtle differences between my tubes (and op amps) to the point that I could tell you which tubes were in my Van Alstine gear.

    (by the way, I am not saying that I can always hear differences among cables. I guy on the forum sent my some Synergistic cables to try and I could not really tell a difference with them)

    I guess all you poor souls that have no acoustic memory can't tell the difference between speakers, preamps, DAC's etc. Acoustic memory is involved with here as well. It makes me wonder how you were able to pick out your gear.

    I am done with this subject because it is futile as you naysayers have your minds made up because you were not there to hear the BIG differences between the 2 cables
    Since in my recent comparison I used BJC Belden 1505F cables, (which I made clear at the time), I can't dispute your LC-1 findings.

    In the broader debate, I too have heard differences between cables, tubes, and opamps. I suggest that the differences are relatively small vs. other components. Also I suggest that if you listen in sequence to two samples that happen to be very similar to each other you might hear no discernible difference, BUT if you listen sequentially to two samples that happen to be relatively different, then the difference can be quite obvious.

    OTOH, I can't refute those who say the blind testing would prove that my personal listening judgements are wrong. To me it is clear that SOME audiophiles at least SOME of the time hear things that are their imagination, or at least attributable to things other than the components in question. However in any given instance they CAN'T PROVE that I'm not hearing real differences with out conducting rigorous blind testing any more than I can prove that I am hearing them.

  6. #81
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,307
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I guess all you poor souls that have no acoustic memory can't tell the difference between speakers, preamps, DAC's etc. Acoustic memory is involved with here as well. It makes me wonder how you were able to pick out your gear.

    I am done with this subject because it is futile as you naysayers have your minds made up because you were not there to hear the BIG differences between the 2 cables

    Do you ever wonder why the naysayers seem so defensive of their point of view. It becomes quite tedious when those of us that can hear differences would like to discuss cables. Oh and then Floyd is brought into the argument. Is he the only one who has written a book or do we not agree with others who might disagree. I am with you that no other person can tell me I did not hear what I have heard. Oh and the more paragraphs they type the less I read.
    blackraven likes this.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cone, Benz MC Gold, Fanfare 3/PSU 1.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    JBL Studio 530's/Sanus SF22 stands
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

  7. #82
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Do you ever wonder why the naysayers seem so defensive of their point of view.
    Yep, I get very tired of hearing all of these subjective claims and the unwillingness of the naysayers to put these subjective claims through an unsighted and repeatable test.

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    It becomes quite tedious when those of us that can hear differences would like to discuss cables. Oh and then Floyd is brought into the argument. Is he the only one who has written a book or do we not agree with others who might disagree. I am with you that no other person can tell me I did not hear what I have heard. Oh and the more paragraphs they type the less I read.
    It must be very difficult to refute something based on scientific principles were many experiments were conducted on the populous with inexperienced and trained listeners alike and reaching the same conclusions on non sighted tests.

    I don't know about you but I rather get prescription drugs thru a pharmacist then an alchemist. Just sayin.

  8. #83
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,307
    Quote Originally Posted by 3db View Post
    Yep, I get very tired of hearing all of these subjective claims and the unwillingness of the naysayers to put these subjective claims through an unsighted and repeatable test.


    I don't know about you but I rather get prescription drugs thru a pharmacist then an alchemist. Just sayin.

    If you are so tired maybe you should take a break.

    I prefer an apothecary.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cone, Benz MC Gold, Fanfare 3/PSU 1.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    JBL Studio 530's/Sanus SF22 stands
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

  9. #84
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    I heard some chatter about ambient noise in the room that prevents anyone from hearing a difference. I don't know where everyone lives, but in the winter when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground, and I turn my heater off, the only ambient noise in my room is the ticking of a clock, which is not picked up with my meter. So that one is out of here also. If the room stays the same, and the only thing that is changed is the cable, if there was ambient noise, it would be there with both cables and the difference will also be there if there is any.
    JohnMichael likes this.

  10. #85
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    I heard some chatter about ambient noise in the room that prevents anyone from hearing a difference. I don't know where everyone lives, but in the winter when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground, and I turn my heater off, the only ambient noise in my room is the ticking of a clock, which is not picked up with my meter. So that one is out of here also. If the room stays the same, and the only thing that is changed is the cable, if there was ambient noise, it would be there with both cables and the difference will also be there if there is any.
    I've always felt (subjectively) that the sound of one component generally doesn't mask the sound of another, e.g. though speakers typically make more difference to the sound than other components and though they usually have the higest distortion it is still possible to hear the difference of, say, amplifiers through them. Likewise ambient noise will not render differences inaudible under typical conditions.

  11. #86
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    10,178
    Now I'm confused, first I thought you were saying there's no audible difference, but here you say there is we just need to keep good record of it as proof. Whether controlled or not, a difference is a difference. It exists or not. So if it exists under controlled it's not that far of a stretch to say some one can hear it on there own. It's like saying a medicine worked during the study but it won't work as prescribed because you are no longer in the study. .

    Quote Originally Posted by 3db View Post
    Accurate acoustic memory is a phallacy and has been demonstrated by Dr. Floyd Toole in his extensive works in acoustics. Its only human. Making such claims put syou into the X-Men class of super humans. Subjective claims cannot be used as proof for the general populous. It only works for the listener claiming the results. I bet you dollar to donuts that your subjective claims would fall away under controlled listening tests.

    The rest of us mere mortals rely on controlled tests and good book keeping to keep our auditions straight.
    Mark Levinson #512 SACD & 532h power
    Pass Labs XP-10 preamp
    Clearaudio Performance DC & Maestro v2 E, AcousTech Ph-1p
    Clarus Crimson loom - AC outlet to speaker terminal
    JBL 4367's & SAM3ha
    Revel S30's & SVS PC13 Ultra (sub)
    Marantz BD-7003 > AV-8003 > LINN 5125
    Transparent cables / Tributaries HDMI
    PS Audio Quintet & Surgex SA15&20

  12. #87
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Now I'm confused, first I thought you were saying there's no audible difference, but here you say there is we just need to keep good record of it as proof. Whether controlled or not, a difference is a difference. It exists or not. So if it exists under controlled it's not that far of a stretch to say some one can hear it on there own. It's like saying a medicine worked during the study but it won't work as prescribed because you are no longer in the study. .
    Let me help your confusion. Cables don't impart a sonic signature on a system. My record keeping notes is a response to blackraven's question about being able to pick out systems, systems pertaining to electronic components and speakers, definately not cables/interconnects. Why would I keep records on cables/interconnects when I know they don't impart a sonic signature? That would be a total waste of my time and the time of the salesman.

    A controlled test will establish whether or not the difference exists. It will also reduce or eliminate all together the weighting of sighted subjective tests. Controlled tests are repeatable and eliminate subjective bias which is inherent in all people, even audiophiles.

    Food for thought, why is it that markup on cable/interconnect prices is by far the highest of all the audio components?
    Last edited by 3db; 06-11-2014 at 03:23 AM.

  13. #88
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by 3db View Post

    Food for thought, why is it that markup on cable/interconnect prices is by far the highest of all the audio components?
    I don't know, do you really think there is more than a few thousand bucks in an $80K amplifier? I doubt there is less than $10K worth of parts and labor. Is there really more than 20K worth of cabinet and drivers in a $180K pair of speakers?

    Cables are not the only thing way marked up.
    JohnMichael likes this.

  14. #89
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    10,178
    I was in the industry doing sales and trust me there's nothing unusual about the margins on cables. Have you seen the mark up on cartridges or other parts? Electronics are slim margins unless very expensive, follow the same margins as autos, the more expensive the more mark up, but it's accessories of ALL kinds where the margins are made. To single out cables in this respect is incorrect.

    Cables can make a difference in sound, it can be proven, this shows your ignorance and inexperience on the topic. As an example science can prove the dielectric that goes around the wire itself can make an real audible difference depending on material used, dielectric even has ratings. It's also fact that stranded wire has a more adverse electronic effect on signal flow opposed to other construction. Perhaps some more research is required on your part.
    JohnMichael likes this.
    Mark Levinson #512 SACD & 532h power
    Pass Labs XP-10 preamp
    Clearaudio Performance DC & Maestro v2 E, AcousTech Ph-1p
    Clarus Crimson loom - AC outlet to speaker terminal
    JBL 4367's & SAM3ha
    Revel S30's & SVS PC13 Ultra (sub)
    Marantz BD-7003 > AV-8003 > LINN 5125
    Transparent cables / Tributaries HDMI
    PS Audio Quintet & Surgex SA15&20

  15. #90
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I was in the industry doing sales and trust me there's nothing unusual about the margins on cables. Have you seen the mark up on cartridges or other parts? Electronics are slim margins unless very expensive, follow the same margins as autos, the more expensive the more mark up, but it's accessories of ALL kinds where the margins are made. To single out cables in this respect is incorrect.
    I have seen the markups on other components. Display's have the least markup, speakers and AVRs are close but cables are in another league of their own. I forgot about cartridges.. my bad.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Cables can make a difference in sound, it can be proven, this shows your ignorance and inexperience on the topic. As an example science can prove the dielectric that goes around the wire itself can make an real audible difference depending on material used, dielectric even has ratings. It's also fact that stranded wire has a more adverse electronic effect on signal flow opposed to other construction. Perhaps some more research is required on your part.
    Show me the science that dielectrics can make a difference in sound. Do you even know what a dielectric is? Please show me the science about single conductor verses multiple strand conductors because everything I read tells a different story. Just so we are very clear on the subject of science: Science is not the words printed in glossy advertisements.

    My ignorance is based on science and not subjective sighted testes based on speculative conjecture that you seem to toss out here and there.
    Last edited by 3db; 06-11-2014 at 04:53 AM.

  16. #91
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    6,307
    How can you have an opinion on cables if you are not able to hear the effect on a system?
    Hyfi likes this.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cone, Benz MC Gold, Fanfare 3/PSU 1.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    JBL Studio 530's/Sanus SF22 stands
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

  17. #92
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    How can you have an opinion on cables if you are not able to hear the effect on a system?
    Because cables are nothing more than a transmission medium wrapped up in a dielectric. At the frequency range that they are used in, the inductance, capacitance and resistance exhibited by these cables won't cause signal degradation if one adhere's to the recommended diameter verses distance recommendations ( to rule out resistive losses which would be applied equally across the entire frequency spectrum anyway )

  18. #93
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by 3db View Post
    Because cables are nothing more than a transmission medium wrapped up in a dielectric. At the frequency range that they are used in, the inductance, capacitance and resistance exhibited by these cables won't cause signal degradation if one adhere's to the recommended diameter verses distance recommendations ( to rule out resistive losses which would be applied equally across the entire frequency spectrum anyway )
    What about cables from manufacturers that specifically alter the signal in a way that and end user can tailor a system to/with.

    The problem with the whole discussion is that Naysayers base the whole argument on the assumption that ALL Cable MFGs make the cables to Identical Specs with same materials.

    They don't. And many MFGs intentionally do something to alter the sound which will be great in one system and not in another. And the differences can be heard by many many people who test and buy them. This is not the site to find that info because of most of our pay scales, but I know of other sites where it is very common.

  19. #94
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    What about cables from manufacturers that specifically alter the signal in a way that and end user can tailor a system to/with.

    The problem with the whole discussion is that Naysayers base the whole argument on the assumption that ALL Cable MFGs make the cables to Identical Specs with same materials.

    They don't. And many MFGs intentionally do something to alter the sound which will be great in one system and not in another. And the differences can be heard by many many people who test and buy them. This is not the site to find that info because of most of our pay scales, but I know of other sites where it is very common.
    You may believe what you want. I refer you back to my original post that started this friendly debate. If a system sounds to bright at nominal listening levels in one's room, than either change the speakers or alter the speaker/room interaction with acoustic tweeks to the room. I personally won't buy any component that imparts its own sonic signature with speakers being the sole exception. That's just bad systems engineering.

  20. #95
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,422
    Quote Originally Posted by 3db View Post
    You may believe what you want. I refer you back to my original post that started this friendly debate. If a system sounds to bright at nominal listening levels in one's room, than either change the speakers or alter the speaker/room interaction with acoustic tweeks to the room. I personally won't buy any component that imparts its own sonic signature with speakers being the sole exception. That's just bad systems engineering.

    All amps, preamps, DAC's have a sonic personality. My Pass X250, Parasound A21, Class D Audio CDA254 and Dayton DTA-100a amps all sound different.

    All 5 of my preamps sound different and 4 of my AVR's sound different.

    All of my DAC's and CDP's sound different.
    JohnMichael likes this.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  21. #96
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by 3db View Post
    You may believe what you want. I refer you back to my original post that started this friendly debate. If a system sounds to bright at nominal listening levels in one's room, than either change the speakers or alter the speaker/room interaction with acoustic tweeks to the room. I personally won't buy any component that imparts its own sonic signature with speakers being the sole exception. That's just bad systems engineering.
    That is a good idea, BUT, without spending a dime, I took a system with known bright speakers (JM Lab) and tamed them with a Known Bassy cable that I had lying around and it solved my problem and made the system enjoyable.

    Who is anyone to tell me that I am wrong for doing that? If it was your money I was spending, sure I would have bought a new pair of speakers that are not bright, like all my Dynaudio speakers.
    blackraven likes this.

  22. #97
    3db
    3db is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    If it was your money I was spending, sure I would have bought a new pair of speakers that are not bright, like all my Dynaudio speakers.
    Just speakers ??

  23. #98
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    I just found this interesting info from an MFG posted on another HE site. Note the last paragraph

    "some general recommendations from the goldmund/Job people for cabling, electrical issues, etc...

    The Goldmund Ultra-fast Electronics Idiosyncrasies
    In order to reproduce the transients and the dynamics in music with a lifelike quality, the Goldmund electronics uses extremely wide bandwidth in their circuitry, with literally zero phase error and time error. This is the main difference in the way they are designed.
    However, this extreme bandwidth in the circuitry is making the Goldmund electronics more susceptible to be affected by incorrect installation and cabling. When proper care is not applied to the cabling, the grounding and the AC power connection of a Goldmund system, severe RF problems may be created, with danger for the speakers and power amplifiers, as well as serious sonic degradation.
    The following information must be reviewed carefully and applied properly for the system to be immune of these problems.
    The best sounding grounding schemes
    The most difficult and important connection in a top quality system is the ground connection.
    If not properly made, hum, distortion and instability may be induced. As for balanced connection, that Goldmund strongly disapprove, a bad grounding connection may literally ruin the lifelike dynamics that any really up-to-date system may reproduce.
    The schematics recommended by Goldmund is known as the "Star System" as used in top measurement laboratories working on small signal levels.
    In a Star System, only one central component (usually the preamplifier or multi-channel processor) is connected to the building ground (through the AC line connection or directly to an earthing post), and all other components are not.The ground connection is then properly made by the signal ground and if good quality coaxial is used for interconnecting the components (as the Goldmund interconnects and Lineal cables), the full system is totally shielded. For a top Goldmund system, the use of such high quality coaxial cable is mandatory for sound quality, perfect shielding and speed of transfer.
    By simply lifting the AC wire ground connection of all other components, the star system is immediately built. However, for safety reasons as well as local regulation application, it is even better to link each component to the central unit by an additional very thick ground wire, connected to the yellow earth binding post of the components. On the central unit (preamplifier, ...), the black (signal ground) and yellow (earth) post may then be linkedIf the AC line ground is of the highest quality, the grounding system will improve sound and noise floor. If not, a real building earthing post must be used to connect the yellow post and the AC line ground must be lifted from the AC line too. Be careful that this type of installation must be made and controlled by a qualified technician to provide the perfect safety and quality.
    The AC line polarity
    From country to country, and even building to building, the AC line polarity may vary. The effect on sound of a wrong AC polarity is not common knowledge and this specific problem is usually neglected.
    On a fast system like a full Goldmund system, the sonic effect of reversing the polarity of the electronic components may be far from negligible.
    To properly adjust the polarity of each components, there are two different methods : the experimental approach, and the scientific approach.
    To detect the proper polarity using the experiemental approach, the full system must be compared in sound quality with successively each component reversed. Usually, the sound is immediately more dynamic and open when the polarity is correct. To test a full system is a tedious and very long process, each component acting with the others and the number of combination being very high. Be patient. In a top sounding system, the result may be dramatic.
    If you prefer to use the scientific approach, read our AC Polarity Measurement page. You need to have a very good high impedance AC voltmeter with high sensitibility. In some areas, small accessories may be acuired to help you detect by a simple measurement which polarity is the best. But we will recommend the full approach
    To invert each component's polarity, a quite practical solution is provided by the Goldmund AC-Curator which has a separate polarity switch for each low-level output makes the choice very easy, even if the near-perfect isolation provided makes it far less critical. For components directly connected to a wall plug, the use of a special adapter may be necessary.
    The Cabling problems
    Choice of cables in an audio system has been very much pushed as a way to improve any system in the press during the last decades. No need to come back on the fact that cables sound different. But what seems less understood is that the sound of a cable is very dependent of the connected components. There is no such thing as the absolute best cable for any type of connection.
    In a Goldmund system where the speed of the signal is mandatory and kept very high throughout, coaxial is the only reasonable solution. It is not only the best solution for digital cables, or for interconnect, but is also the best solution for speaker cables.
    In addition to the speed that coaxial may help to maintain, the perfect shielding that the best ones may provide is mandatory to avoid oscillations.
    But there are also some additional tricks.
    To insure a perfect stability in a system, the input cables (interconnects) of an amplifier must absolutely be kept apart from the output cables (speaker cables). Otherwise the high frequency antenna created by the shielding ground of the speaker cable may, if the system is imperfectly earthed, radiate to the ground of the input cable and create a high frequency loop, inducing oscillation of the power amplifier. Run the cables separate or cross them at right angles and your system will be totally immune to this effect.
    More, when you use long interconnects to a stereo or multi-channel power amplifier, run them close together, to avoid creating ground loop which will induce hum or buzz if you are in a bad RF area.
    And finally, when the choice exist, and you are using Goldmund interconnects and Speaker cables, choose to run longer Speaker cables and shorter interconnects rather than the opposite. Loss of quality is faster in long interconnects than in long Goldmund Speaker cables because the carried impedance is higher.
    blackraven and JohnMichael like this.

  24. #99
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    I just found this interesting info from an MFG posted on another HE site. Note the last paragraph

    "some general recommendations from the goldmund/Job people for cabling, electrical issues, etc...

    ...
    The Cabling problems
    Choice of cables in an audio system has been very much pushed as a way to improve any system in the press during the last decades. No need to come back on the fact that cables sound different. But what seems less understood is that the sound of a cable is very dependent of the connected components. There is no such thing as the absolute best cable for any type of connection.
    In a Goldmund system where the speed of the signal is mandatory and kept very high throughout, coaxial is the only reasonable solution. It is not only the best solution for digital cables, or for interconnect, but is also the best solution for speaker cables.
    In addition to the speed that coaxial may help to maintain, the perfect shielding that the best ones may provide is mandatory to avoid oscillations.
    But there are also some additional tricks.
    To insure a perfect stability in a system, the input cables (interconnects) of an amplifier must absolutely be kept apart from the output cables (speaker cables). Otherwise the high frequency antenna created by the shielding ground of the speaker cable may, if the system is imperfectly earthed, radiate to the ground of the input cable and create a high frequency loop, inducing oscillation of the power amplifier. Run the cables separate or cross them at right angles and your system will be totally immune to this effect.
    More, when you use long interconnects to a stereo or multi-channel power amplifier, run them close together, to avoid creating ground loop which will induce hum or buzz if you are in a bad RF area.
    And finally, when the choice exist, and you are using Goldmund interconnects and Speaker cables, choose to run longer Speaker cables and shorter interconnects rather than the opposite. Loss of quality is faster in long interconnects than in long Goldmund Speaker cables because the carried impedance is higher.
    I certainly believe the part about the cable, input, and output being an interdependent system.

    I also note the recommendation that interconnects be kept relatively short at the price, if necessary, of speaker cables being longer.

  25. #100
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    I certainly believe the part about the cable, input, and output being an interdependent system.

    I also note the recommendation that interconnects be kept relatively short at the price, if necessary, of speaker cables being longer.
    Yeah, the last one baffled me a bit because I have mostly observed people with mono blocks placing them next to the speakers with short speaker cables and longer ICs.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •