Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    The Jaws sequels were lousy especially 3 and 4. So do try and see the original Jaws.

Jurassic park has some of the dumbest dialog in film that I have seen in many years and nobody was developed. The human characters in a monster movie NEED to be as intersting as the monsters. In JP that is not the case -- and as kam noted with the effects -- once the effects look dated the film will be a footnote in history.
    I dunno...That fat scientist - the guy who plays Newman...he was awesome in JP. And I really felt that I was growing WITH those little raptors as they matured and evolved into poison spittin', kid eatin' carnisaurs.

Fun movie, if not the most sound. I disagree that the humans weren't interesting, but I'll admit they weren't developed nearly as well as in the novel. But that's always the case. Anyway, the characters weren't the movie, the themes of "what if", "man playing god" and "dinosaurs" were the movie, so character development wasn't a priority for me.

Maybe if I didn't read it first I'd think less of it, but I thought it was pretty good, not his best work, but a good movie to see in theater. I watched it again last month for the first time since I saw it in theater..13 years later, it doesn't seem too dated at all. Can't say the same for a lot of other special effects films of that era. With all the crazy cloning stuff going on today, it seems a lot more realistic.

Good News for Worf, and others

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Well you guys know I'm "old school" so this list has few surprises.

1. John Ford - "The Quiet Man", "Fort Apache", "They Were Expendable", "The Informer" Four Acadmey Awards for best director. Nuff Said.

2. Howard Hawks - "Red River", "Air Force" "Sergeant York", "His Girl Friday" "The Thing fFrom Another World" . Some good stuff right there man.

3. Akira Kurosawa - "The Seven Samurai", "Yojimbo", "Fist Full of Dollars", "Ran", "Kagemusha" - Wow, what a master a true master of his arr. Amazing.

4. Quentin Tarrantin - "Pulp Fiction", "From Dusk Till Dawn", "Sin City" - Not a large volume of work but what's there is choice.

5. Ang Lee - "The Ice Storm" , "Ride With the Devil", "Sense and Sensibility". "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" - Same as above, can't wait to see what this guy tackles next.

Da Worfster
    Warner Bros. announced a John Ford box set to be released on 6/6.

Copied from Digital Bits:

MY TWO CENTS - 3/14/06 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt

Warner Bros. has set Face the Music for release on 6/13. Also, remember all those John Ford and John Wayne films Warner announced a few days ago? Well, the studio has finally revealed that they'll all be available in a pair of new box set collections on 6/6. The 8-film John Wayne/John Ford Film Collection (SRP $79.92) will include The Searchers: Ultimate Collector's Edition, Stagecoach: Special Edition, Fort Apache, The Long Voyage Home, Wings of Eagles, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, They Were Expendable and 3 Godfathers. Meanwhile, the 5-film John Ford Film Collection will include (SRP $59.92) Cheyenne Autumn, The Informer, The Lost Patrol, Mary of Scotland and Sergeant Rutledge.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Spielberg

The Great (in my top 100):

Schindler's List A++
    E.T. The Extra Terrestrial A+
    Jaws A+
    Raiders of the Lost Ark A+
    Saving private Ryan A
    Munich A

The Good:

Duel B
    The Sugarland Express B+
    The Color Purple B+
    Catch Me if You Can B
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind (and many would likely put this into the Great camp)
    Minority Report A-
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade B+

The Average:

Jurassic Park B-
    The Terminal B-
    Always B-
    Empire of the Sun B-
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom B-

The Below Average:

A.I. C
    Amistad C
    Lost World: Jurassic Park C-
    Hook C-
    1941 D

The Unmitigated Garbage:

War of the Worlds F
    Wait a minute RGA, may be a little bit of shuffling in your list warranted.

I saw Schindler's List in the theater, and although it was a good movie, I wouldn’t call it one of Spileberg best. It had its moments and have historical significance, but I see it as good documentary and leave it at that. To me it was just too depressing to watch.

Also saw Jurassic Park few week ago, and as you said technically it might be outdated, but like Jaws, the story hold up very well on the strength of actors such as Richard Attenborough and Jeff Goldblum.

So to reshuffle your list , I would move up the movie Duel and Jurassic Park to list A, and down grade Schindler's List to list B. And move down Lost World: Jurassic Park to “The Unmitigated Garbage” list. That movie was that bad

And that would be my list

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I think I'm the only person on the Continent who has yet to see Jaws or Schindler's List.

I've seen the Jaws sequels...zzzzzzzz...just never got around to seeing Jaws. Maybe I'll buy that today. Schindler's List, well, I have a weak stomach for non-fictional acts of cruelty, and for whatever reason everything about the Holocaust just scares the heck out of me. Maybe someday I'll gather the nerve to watch it, I've only ever heard it was exceptional.
    You should take a trip to D.C. and visit the Holocaust Museum. It's like walking through every signifcant scene of Schindler's List and more, much more.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information