• 10-02-2004, 12:04 AM
    topspeed
    Finally got see what the hub-bub was about...
    when I picked up my copy today. OK, I admit I was one of those kids that saw this movie like 10 times back in '76 and had every toy imaginable. Therefore, I was pretty jazzed about this finally making it to dvd.

What a disappointment!

The discrepencies in the dialogue and soundtrack drive me batty! You can be in the same scene and one person is clear while another sounds like they're underneath bed sheets. My picture is also abnormally dark, especially in scenes like the Cantina, Jawa transport, and some Death Star interior shots. I actually dialed my brightness up a few notches. However, the biggest offender in my mind is the exagerrated LFE track. So much for having a calibrated system, eh? My sub completely overpowers my rig, manytimes in scenes where it doesn't even make sense (i.e. when the Falcon comes out of lightspeed at Alderan an you get this horribly loud, low hum signifying the engines slowing down. It freakin' rattled my windows!)

No I'm not crazy about the added scenes. I really hate Greedo shooting first because it utterly changes the character of the scene. However, I can deal with that a lot more than the soundtrack screw-ups which simply annoy the Hell out of me.

Sorry for the rant but as a fan of the series, I'm pretty pissed right now.
  • 10-02-2004, 09:30 AM
    Geoffcin
    Not only does it
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topspeed
    when I picked up my copy today. OK, I admit I was one of those kids that saw this movie like 10 times back in '76 and had every toy imaginable. Therefore, I was pretty jazzed about this finally making it to dvd.

What a disappointment!

No I'm not crazy about the added scenes. I really hate Greedo shooting first because it utterly changes the character of the scene. However, I can deal with that a lot more than the soundtrack screw-ups which simply annoy the Hell out of me.

Sorry for the rant but as a fan of the series, I'm pretty pissed right now.

Change the chararter of the scene, it changes Solo's caracter for the worse. In the original Greedo was telegraphing what he was planning to do, and Solo didn't wait for him to get off a shot. Makes you think that Solo is sharp, and willing to protect himself when he thinks he's in danger. The new version is much more "it was only in self defence".

It was only in self defense in the original too, but because Solo fired first it made him a much more interesting caracter.