Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Incredibles

Most entertaining movie of the year by a mile.

Best Pixar film yet. The artistry in this movie will absolutely knock your block off. These guys have come SO far, SO fast!

Best ironic superhero movie ever. Absolutely brilliant script about a world that has legislated away the need for superheroes and implemented a "superhero protection agency" that lets them blend into society. It's similar to the X-men story, but with a sense of humor. One of the messages of the film is a personal favorite, and one I've ascribed to for years: "If everyone is special, then no one really is".

I was really surprised at how this movie scratched my James Bond itch rather than my superhero itch. The comparisons are unmistakable.

It's the most staggeringly beautiful homage to 1960s modern design and architectural ethos ever made. The leotard designer, Edna Mode's (Edith Head?) home was a masterpiece of mid century modernism. The cars, buildings and especially the bad guy's secret island fortress are the perfect tribute to production designer Ken Adam (all the 60s James bond movies, Dr. Strangelove). This movie deserves the Production Design oscar.

Best ersatz James Bond Soundtrack ever. So many have tried to knock off the John Barry vibe, but no one has done it so well, and with such a sly wink. Brilliant.

There is no way that this movie is for little kids. The ones in the theater watched it, but I don't think they were nearly as enthralled as the adults.

Spectacular film.
    Last edited by Troy; 11-10-2004 at 09:14 AM.

Talking Thank Troy....

Been waitin' for a review from one of "da faithful" before spending my hard earned. Thanks for giving us the word. Glad you liked it. If it's' superior to Pixar's earlier efforts then it must truly be "special". I will use my Vets day and take my old Vetrans ass down to see it.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular

Hey Troy thanks for the mini review

I spotted it a while ago on a trailer web site and have been looking forward to it, now you've really wet my appetite. I don't think it's been released in the UK yet but it's just starting to be talked about on TV and radio.

I've got a seven year old (as if I needed an excuse to go see it!) but that's the great appeal of these films on two levels, most of the dialogue goes over the kids heads but they enjoy the visuals so much.

Cheers
    Mike

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    I posted this on the movie board, but only about 3 people bother to read that.

Best Pixar film yet. The artistry in this movie will absolutely knock your block off. These guys have come SO far, SO fast!

Best ironic superhero movie ever. Absolutely brilliant script about a world that has legislated away the need for superheroes and implemented a "superhero protection agency" that lets them blend into society. It's similar to the X-men story, but with a sense of humor. One of the messages of the film is a personal favorite, and one I've ascribed to for years: "If everyone is special, then no one really is".

I was really surprised at how this movie scratched my James Bond itch rather than my superhero itch. The comparisons are unmistakable.

It's the most staggeringly beautiful homage to 1960s modern design and architectural ethos ever made. The leotard designer, Edna Mode's (Edith Head?) home was a masterpiece of mid century modernism. The cars, buildings and especially the bad guy's secret island fortress are the perfect tribute to production designer Ken Adam (all the 60s James bond movies, Dr. Strangelove). This movie deserves the Production Design oscar.

Best ersatz James Bond Soundtrack ever. So many have tried to knock off the John Barry vibe, but no one has done it so well, and with such a sly wink. Brilliant.

There is no way that this movie is for little kids. The ones in the theater watched it, but I don't think they were nearly as enthralled as the adults.

Spectacular film.
    Troy: Thanks for the review. I'm a BIG movie fan & was wondering whether Pixar will continue its streak. I'm sold, just by your review. I'll be taking my family to see it, this weekend.
    Cheers, Bill

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Thumbs up Are you surprised?

I don't think Pixar has released a bad film yet. Toy Story (both of 'em), Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo.... that's one hell of a resume. Even their weakest film, A Bug's Life (basically a Three Amigos rewrite) is consistently watchable.

They have perfected the family movie--no overly flashy short attention span B.S., merchandise-peddling, cheesy musical numbers, or plot/humor that would insult a post-pubescent intelligence. An adult can watch this and not as a "guilty pleasure," either. A message that Disney (and all the other animation firms out there) ought to heed.

Anyway, I will definitely have to see The Incredibles soon. Good review Troy.
    Last edited by mad rhetorik; 11-10-2004 at 01:04 PM.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Nice review. I'm planning on taking my 5-year-old to it this coming weekend. Do you suggest I pass on it (with him)? I have a feeling he'll like it just because it's animated, even if he doesn't "get it" (like Shrek).
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Nice review. I'm planning on taking my 5-year-old to it this coming weekend. Do you suggest I pass on it (with him)? I have a feeling he'll like it just because it's animated, even if he doesn't "get it" (like Shrek).
    Sure, little kids will enjoy it because it's got kid characters doing heroic things, but the gyst of the story and the underlying themes will appeal to adults first.

It is the most grown up Pixar flick by quite a margin.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Thanks for the review. Will go see. Was going to wait for vid, but I have a few friends who still owe me a night out at the theater.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Bipolar Bingo Enthusiast Chip_B's Avatar

I completely agree. I took the family to see it last weekend and we absolutely loved it. Great story, brilliant animation, and exhilarating action sequences. It was the most fun I've had at the movies in a very long time.

I'm particularly amazed at how well PIXAR captures nuanced emotion in the characters' facial expressions. In many respects it was like watching live actors...no small feat considering you're actually watching a computer animated cartoon.

-Chip
    "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

-Willie Brown

Talking Best James Bond movie I've seen in years...

It's all there, the secret lair, the plot to dominate the world, the evil genius. It's great... add superheroes and Pixar animation and you're one great movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Go see it and you don't even have to take the kids...

Da Worfster

So, when they gonna release the sequel?

Gotta jump in with the praise for this movie. Great James Bond villian/hideout/music thing goin' on. Great "cast" in that you stop looking at them as amimated pixels and start seeing them in an almost anthrophorphic light. Particularly loved the costume designer. Loved the settings and the vehicles, too. Didja check out the entertainment centers in the Incredible's home?

...and just loved Jack Jack at the end. Gotta have more... This is NOT just for kids.

Also, saw a teaser for the new Star Wars flick. Finally gonna tie the two series together. Let's hope there's more than just glitzy SFX this time around.

Sounds like a great movie!

I saw this cartoon yesterday.

Hopefully, people will get a laugh out of it and won't get all bent out of shape
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 11-14-2004 at 10:38 AM. Reason: off topic
    Click here to see my system.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I gotta agree, this was one of the best movies I've seen lately. Completely genius! I wanted to leave after the Star Wars EP III teaser, but no one else got up...just kidding.

Is Axiom really as good as all these reviews say?

Forum Regular

kids

My 14-year old daughter and a pack of her friends went to see this movie and came home raving about it...........she told me that I would love it too.

great

definately enjoyed it.. took 5 yo daughter. It was a bit overwhelming for her, she's very sensitive to the loud parts and this one is LOUD. Plus, of course, there was quite a bit of violence.. but yea, I know it was "cartoony" - still, I'd probably prefer that she not see that much, but she was dying to see it.

Best animation I've seen in a movie period. It's just amazing. It blew "Shark Tail" totally out of the water.. plus, it was just not that good of a movie, regardless of animation.

Did ya'll see the preview for "Cars" coming out next year? Looks like a new benchmark for animation from what I saw of it. Amazing.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    definately enjoyed it.. took 5 yo daughter. It was a bit overwhelming for her, she's very sensitive to the loud parts and this one is LOUD. Plus, of course, there was quite a bit of violence.. but yea, I know it was "cartoony" - still, I'd probably prefer that she not see that much, but she was dying to see it.

Best animation I've seen in a movie period. It's just amazing. It blew "Shark Tail" totally out of the water.. plus, it was just not that good of a movie, regardless of animation.

Did ya'll see the preview for "Cars" coming out next year? Looks like a new benchmark for animation from what I saw of it. Amazing.

-jar
    That was my reaction too, basically. I really liked it (probably more than my son) and I didn't have as much of an issue with the violence (especially since there was no blood), but maybe I should. Oh, and I agree; the animation was fantastic.

Yeah, Shark Tale was a POS, if you ask me. Pretty boring. Cars looks really cool. I'm sure we'll see that one when it comes out.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Actually, I just saw Shark Tale and quite enjoyed it (wanted to see it before it vamoosed [?sp] from the theaters).

Robots looks good, too. As does The Wild. I didn't see any preview for Cars, though.

Good time to be a computer animation geek.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Saw Incredibles again. I'd go again too. Violence? As violent as any episode of Jonny Quest. What a cool movie for 60s Googie geeks like me.

Saw the Cars preview. Looks clean, I just hope it's not primarily about NASCAR.

Saw Shrek 2 last night. Now THAT'S a turd of a movie. The first one was so clever, this one covers allt he same ground without the surprises or action. It relied too much on Hollywood jokes and topical humor. It was really boring. Shocking that some reviewers liked it more than Incredibles.

Saw Shrek 2 last night. Now THAT'S a turd of a movie.
    I'd agree with you 100%, but that Puss'n'Boots character put the movie over the top for me. That cat really cracked me up.

John

Re

I don't see any "first-run" movies anymore (cash priorities), but I find the new technologies in the animated/computer arts interesting. Now, whether it will change "the art" in some "meaningfull" way (down the road) , that's hard to say. Time will tell I guess.

It's still the writer who's at the heart of any (good) story/film IMO... and good writing has gotten watered down with the myriad of indie films and TV channels all barking for writers for their "cool" "product". In the old days, if you were truly talented, you might get hired by Disney or another similar company, surrounded by other talented people. Today, many second & third rate wanna-be's write slop for network primetime. (I'm not slamin' the film here,I didn't see it )

But I did see this neat film-short animation recently:

http://www.gethappy.com/watchmore.html

It's a pseudo/(clay)mation by Mark Osborne... won several awards back in 1999. About 5 minutes in length (20 secs to download). And oh yeah, it's 16 MB, so unless you have cable, ferget it! (sorry). It's Quicktime as well, so PC users will need to take QT outta yer startup tab after viewing it (I hate how Apple has that aggravating habit of "thinking" for us). Very well done, just the same.
    You don't know... jack

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

Moved and merged this post

Troy,
    I moved and merged the post with your other one on rave recordings. Just trying to keep the movies in the movie section, and the recording in the recording section. Sorry for the inconvience.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Oh, God Forbid...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Troy,
    I moved and merged the post with your other one on rave recordings. Just trying to keep the movies in the movie section, and the recording in the recording section. Sorry for the inconvience.

..that our little community of music posters, many of which have been posting here for more than five or six years, should want to talk about something else, and even have the courtesy of noting in the post that it is OT.

I might be interested in what Troy has to say about a movie he liked without having to search the entire AR site to see whether Troy posted anything of interest today. Why does everything have to be sorted into little boxes according to the wishes of the moderator rather than the desires of the customers and users? Why can't you let Troy decide where he wants to post. Maybe what he had to say he wanted to say to community of people who post on the Rave Reviews board.

Sheesh.
    "A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission" - Rush

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    ..that our little community of music posters, many of which have been posting here for more than five or six years, should want to talk about something else, and even have the courtesy of noting in the post that it is OT.

I might be interested in what Troy has to say about a movie he liked without having to search the entire AR site to see whether Troy posted anything of interest today. Why does everything have to be sorted into little boxes according to the wishes of the moderator rather than the desires of the customers and users? Why can't you let Troy decide where he wants to post. Maybe what he had to say he wanted to say to community of people who post on the Rave Reviews board.

Sheesh.
    Hmmmmmm...how to respond without appearing confrontational? When Troy reposted on the rave recs board, he noted that only about 3 people bothered to look at his post in favorite films. This was not true. In fact, he had about 90 views and 6 reponses. Some of the frequent visitors were actually waiting for a review of The Incredibles and showed their appreciation. I'm glad he didn't post soley on the rave recs board.

The favorite films board from October through the first week of November was getting more viewers, almost 30 at a time, than I've noticed in the past. I thought it might be time for a regular weekly post similar to the Tunesday thread in rave recs - something like a Monday thread on the movies seen in theaters or rented over the weekend. But, the number of viewers and participants dropped off.

I really have no opinion on what the moderator did. Troy did post in favorite films and maybe that should have been satisfactory. My concern is that the Favorite Films board doesn't dry up. Most of us who post on this board can also be found in other sections discussing audio/video gear and even recorded music. We welcome you guys at Rave Recs to get out a little more and join us occasionally in discussing movies.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Hmmmmmm...how to respond without appearing confrontational?
    I think you did quite well, thank you.

Barry,
    When you are running a site this large, it is important that there be some organization. Placing posts in the proper place is what makes it organized. The rest of my comments Dean covered quite well.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Just for Clarification....

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I think you did quite well, thank you.

Barry,
    When you are running a site this large, it is important that there be some organization. Placing posts in the proper place is what makes it organized. The rest of my comments Dean covered quite well.

It was easy to find Troy's link because you noted that it was moved. That was a good thing. A considerate thing. The site programmer was planning ahead.

My conjecture may be wrong here, but I suspect this is more than trying to keep things organized. I suspect you are trying to let Troy and 3lockbox know that they should not be posting movie reviews on the Rave Recordings board, but should be posting them here. I'm sure you are going to get tired of moving their movie posts over to this board, as you are currently doing. And that will lead to some kind of effort to stop people from posting in places that are "inappropriate" by the standard of AR categories, not the intended audience of the communication. For example, I'm sure Troy and 3lockbox wanted the Rave Recordings community to hear what they had to say about the movie. I certainly was. But I wouldn't have seen their posts if they posted on the movie board.

So, make me feel better. Tell me that you won't start deleting posts and threatening to remove those who make OT posts from participating.
    "A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission" - Rush

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information