Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Game of Thrones???

Well I watched HBO's latest "dramatic" series with some interest. I watched the first episode last night on rebroadcast and I must say I'm both disappointed and confused. First, too many kingdoms, too many characters too many story lines thrown at you for you to do any but say WTF for the first hour. This is obviously a series where it behooves you to read the books first. But I've not read fantasy since I finished the Ring Trilogy for the 5 time some years ago. Casting is all English and seems adequate. The men are all buff save for a couple of exceptions and the women are all stunningly beautifull and usually nekid. The whole thing is like "Spartacus Blood and Sand" meets "Lord of the Rings" with the latter getting all the blood and sex from the former.

I personally don't see it making it unless the find a way to bring people into the mythos more easily. A 15 minute primer on the realms and alliances of this mythical land would've been helpfull. During the behind the scenes on the making of this series they show the author several times. And after looking at this fat, hairy, little troll I can tell why there's so much sex and violence in the show as that's usually what springs from the minds of man/boys still living in Mom's basement. What a mess.

Worf

I can see how you were confused after watching the first episode. My brother, who also has not read the book(s) saw it and had the exact same feeling..

In my case I started reading the books a couple weeks before it aired, and it actually follows the book very closely (and I personally love the show)... The problem you are having (and my brother as well as many others) is just as you stated it... it is a lot of characters and setup, and without reading the book it can be quite daunting at first.

Speaking as someone who is reading the books, I do suggest you try and stick with it because the book is absolutely incredible, and since the show is tracking the book closely, I expect great things from the series.
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Well....

Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    I can see how you were confused after watching the first episode. My brother, who also has not read the book(s) saw it and had the exact same feeling..

In my case I started reading the books a couple weeks before it aired, and it actually follows the book very closely (and I personally love the show)... The problem you are having (and my brother as well as many others) is just as you stated it... it is a lot of characters and setup, and without reading the book it can be quite daunting at first.

Speaking as someone who is reading the books, I do suggest you try and stick with it because the book is absolutely incredible, and since the show is tracking the book closely, I expect great things from the series.
    In that I hate to slam things prematurely, I did a little research into the books and the basic background of the world and it's mythos. That helped me a little but I shouldn't have had to do all that on my own. I guess the author of the books built his own world and religions as did Frank Herbert with Dune. According to some sources half the information you need is contained in appendices in the back of the books much like the Dune series.

I may be proved to be wrong. HBO has already signed up for a second season but I don't see filming of this series getting any cheaper. After the way they abandoned "Rome", "Carnivale", "Deadwood" and other great series, I don't think you should get too attached to this show. Not because it ain't good, but because quality doesn't always butter the bread.

Worf

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    In that I hate to slam things prematurely, I did a little research into the books and the basic background of the world and it's mythos. That helped me a little but I shouldn't have had to do all that on my own. I guess the author of the books built his own world and religions as did Frank Herbert with Dune. According to some sources half the information you need is contained in appendices in the back of the books much like the Dune series.

I may be proved to be wrong. HBO has already signed up for a second season but I don't see filming of this series getting any cheaper. After the way they abandoned "Rome", "Carnivale", "Deadwood" and other great series, I don't think you should get too attached to this show. Not because it ain't good, but because quality doesn't always butter the bread.

Worf
    Yeah, Carnivale was a particular blow for me, as I felt in season 2 it really came into its own, and by season's end I was completely hooked only to have HBO pull the plug.

BTW, you are correct about the appendices in the books. I confess I have not read them yet, but they are indeed there. I think you are right in saying that if they wanted to ensure the series success, it may have been more prudent to ease folks into things more gently for the TV series as opposed to following the intricacies of the book so closely from the get-go. I am loving it, but to the uninitiated I could see the other point of view readily. Hang in there, the payoff for the mental investment is huge, as the book gets better with every page. :-)

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Forum Regular

Worf

Even when you start reading the books, the list of characters and plots appear daunting, but if you stick with it, you begin to follow the main set of characters. Believe me, they're still in the "setting the stage" of things to come. I've read all 4 books that have been published thus far and the 5th I believe (hope so anyway) is due sometime this summer.

I can definitely see it as being a series to re-watch on DVD/Blu.

We subscribed to HBO purely to watch this series.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    I'm not confused, and I haven't even read the books. IMO the show is no less confusing than Lost, which I grew tired of after a while. I actually like Game of Thrones a lot so far. Its interesting to see Sean Bean (Lord Stark) playing a good guy for once -- a far cry from his typical ruthless, psycopathic characters. It seems like he's packed on a few pounds for the role.

Yeah...

I must admit, unlike the Imp, the series has grown on me immensely. Best series start mebbe since "True Blood". I enjoy it now and feel that the small Lannister is one of the if not the best character in the series. I think the Callissi is a good second.

Worf

I must admit, unlike the Imp, the series has grown on me immensely. Best series start mebbe since "True Blood". I enjoy it now and feel that the small Lannister is one of the if not the best character in the series. I think the Callissi is a good second.

Worf
    Tyrion "The Imp" is my favorite as well, with Arya a close second... I did not initially warm to the Danny character (book or TV series), yet as I read further she grew on me...

Glad to hear you have joined the fan-base, Worf. :-)

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Count me as another one who's glad to have toughed out the first few episodes. My assessment of the first episode was similar to Worf's, very mixed. But, I saw some potential and kept tuning in, and the last few weeks have paid off big time. The female characters in particular have gotten very interesting -- we now see the real power behind the throne.

And good news that the ratings have steadily increased, so it looks like the viewership at the end of this season will be even higher than the much-hyped and promoted premiere. Bodes well for a long run, considering that the plan is to base each season on the next novel in the Song of Ice and Fire series, which come July will have a total of five books with two more planned.

With Sunday's big plot twist, this really is like a Medieval version of the Sopranos, and I mean that in a good way. Should be interesting to see just how far Ned Stark and Calisi are willing to go, when all they really want is to go home. Now, I'm really bummed that we only got 3 more episodes before the season finale!

"I told you not to trust me..."
    Last edited by Woochifer; 05-31-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Great minds?

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post
    Count me as another one who's glad to have toughed out the first few episodes. My assessment of the first episode was similar to Worf's, very mixed. But, I saw some potential and kept tuning in, and the last few weeks have paid off big time. The female characters in particular have gotten very interesting -- we now see the real power behind the throne.

And good news that the ratings have steadily increased, so it looks like the viewership at the end of this season will be even higher than the much-hyped and promoted premiere. Bodes well for a long run, considering that the plan is to base each season on the next novel in the Song of Ice and Fire series, which come July will have a total of five books with two more planned.

With Sunday's big plot twist, this really is like a Medieval version of the Sopranos, and I mean that in a good way. Should be interesting to see just how far Ned Stark and Calisi are willing to go, when all they really want is to go home. Now, I'm really bummed that we only got 3 more episodes before the season finale!

"I told you not to trust me..."
    Yeah, I have to agree 100% the story's gotten good. And it's true the women seem to be as powerful as the men in this particular fantasy world. I loved Karl Drogo's pre-game speech. There's a program I can get behind.

"You b***hes come into MY hood. Threaten my boo and my shorty with some old poisen apple bulls**t!!!! Allright, now hear dis, I'm gettin ALL my posse and we gonna RIDE! And I mean ride right over all you punks ass mutha's. Oh yeah, it's on now, we gonna steal your bling, snatch up your ride, push up on your ladies and snatch your crown!!!"

I loved it.

Worf

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I have been hanging in there with it and the past several episodes have been very good.
    Can't wait to see where they go next with Lanaster vs. Stark feud.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    I have been hanging in there with it and the past several episodes have been very good.
    Can't wait to see where they go next with Lanaster vs. Stark feud.
    But I must admit, it ain't looking too good for Ned right now.

Worf

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree 100% the story's gotten good. And it's true the women seem to be as powerful as the men in this particular fantasy world. I loved Karl Drogo's pre-game speech. There's a program I can get behind.

"You b***hes come into MY hood. Threaten my boo and my shorty with some old poisen apple bulls**t!!!! Allright, now hear dis, I'm gettin ALL my posse and we gonna RIDE! And I mean ride right over all you punks ass mutha's. Oh yeah, it's on now, we gonna steal your bling, snatch up your ride, push up on your ladies and snatch your crown!!!"

I loved it.

Worf
    AWESOME translation! Shoulda used your version for the subtitles.

Drogo was one of the less interesting characters until he "crowned" Viserys last week. But, man is he ever sticking up for his woman! Talk about Calisi having a guy by the b*lls!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Things...

Things just git more and more interestin' round here. Man this show is movin' along at a crackling pace.

Worf

Things just git more and more interestin' round here. Man this show is movin' along at a crackling pace.

Worf
    I was thinking the same thing with the latest episode. They've really stepped up the pace, and have the story moving full steam ahead on all fronts (might also help that Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin wrote the screenplay for the latest episode).

The double-dealing at King's Landing continues (and Arya registering her first kill), the Stark and Lannister forces headed towards a battlefield collision, Drogo pillaging and destroying his way towards the sea (so he can grab a throne for his precious boo), and now the White Walkers are getting ready to cause havoc in the north.

We only got two more episodes and a big load of story threads still dangling. This is getting really good, and I'm bummed that we'll have to wait 9 more months until the series picks up again!

Oh, and I was just imagining your play-by-play call when Drogo performed that savage tracheotomy after battling an armed warrior with his bare hands!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Hey Wooch!!!

Yeah, I'm totally stoked, gonna be a looooong 9 months. But we survived it with Tony and the boys and Stringer Bell and Omar, we can hold out for the Starks and the Lanisters... LOL. I do have one bit of foreshadowing though. White Walkers and their zombie minions can only be killed (thus far) by fire!!! Be nice to have a couple of fire breathing scaly things flying around wouldn't it?

Worf

White Walkers and their zombie minions can only be killed (thus far) by fire!!! Be nice to have a couple of fire breathing scaly things flying around wouldn't it?

Worf
    You must have been checking out spoilers.

Nope...

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    You must have been checking out spoilers.
    Just seems logical. I mean hey this is not the FIRST mythical realm I've been to. Only thing missing are the elves, trolls and orcs. How different can it be?

Worf

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Man I did not know that there were only 2 shows left.
    They are building too many plot lines to not leave you twisting after they go on hiatus.

Well by that time the "Walking Dead" over on AMC should fill the void......
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    Man I did not know that there were only 2 shows left.
    They are building too many plot lines to not leave you twisting after they go on hiatus.

Well by that time the "Walking Dead" over on AMC should fill the void......
    Now you see what it's like to wait 2 years for the next installment of the book (4th book).

I just can't believe the first season is almost over already.

At the rate they're going....

At the rate they're going, one book per year, they'll be outta material in 4 years. Since most BIG HBO Series run 5 or longer we may have a problem. They either slow down next year or start varying the script.

Worf

At the rate they're going, one book per year, they'll be outta material in 4 years. Since most BIG HBO Series run 5 or longer we may have a problem. They either slow down next year or start varying the script.

Worf
    Well, the fifth book comes out in less than a month (July 12th), so they have another year's worth of material past the current 4. Maybe by the time they have released the TV version of "A Dance With Dragons" GRRM will have the sixth book out.

The challenge, IMO, will be the seventh volume (that is supposed to be the final book in the series) assuming the release pace stays about the same as used for the 4th and 5th volumes in the series. GRRM may quicken the pace though, as he has a double financial interest in finishing the series now. I just hope the quality does not dip in the process.

In my case, I am just starting the third book in the series and it just keeps getting better. :-)

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

I don't know if I'm pleased or pissed...

I'm old school in some ways. I like my villains bad and my hero's good, however we ALL know that, with a few exceptions like Stalin and Hitler, most GOOD or BAD characters run in shades of grey. Never was that more true than in GoT. I wanted to hate the Queen completely but the love and empathy she's shown Sirsy has softened me a bit. The Imp is far more fitting to be head of Lannister clan than any other's in him family. Even Jamie shows flashes of honor when it suits him. And I wanted to hate the Spider but he's been as good a friend to Ned as any while in the dungeons.

The only true "bastards" (in that I want to boil their gizzards in oil for lunch) are Tywin Lannister and that backstabbin' bastard Littlefinger. Both of them need to die slow, horrible, dispicable deaths.

And like in all great narratives (see The Godfather) the heros have flaws as well. Ned much like my fave Klingon, allows his singular sense of honor to blind him to the fact that he who practices honor and mercy usually winds up gettin' f**ked in the end. It ain't a nice thought, but it is often true. And I also don't trust Lord Greyjoy as far as I can trust him, but thus far he's been loyal and true.

Lots to think on, lot's to digest and so far, I'm enjoying the ride.

Worf

I must say this last episode left me speechless! I read afterwards that the plot twist was in the original book, but man what daring storytelling. Even though the ending was telegraphed, I still couldn't believe it when I saw it. A series that can truly surprise me is very rare.

So many plot elements that are just now getting ripe, it's almost unfair that now we're down to the final episode! The mythical elements are now ready to enter the story, but we'll probably have to wait until next season to finally see them in full bloom -- the rebirth of the dragons, the White Walker invasion, and the bloodmagic subplot.

And all kinds of questions. With this boy king throwing a pubescent tantrum, what will happen when he finds out that his captured uncle is actually his father? And what of Stannis, King Robert's brother, the other potential heir to the throne (yes, they're casting that character for next season)?

I totally hear you on Greyjoy. With Robb now feeling his oats, Greyjoy is perfectly positioned as a backstabber.

One article that I read indicated that this series is ultimately about the Stark and Lannister children. Ned and the other adults are just the placeholders to set the chess match in motion.

Rumors are that the next couple of books might get split up into multiple seasons, because they are so thematically dense
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

I heard they might split future seasons into 2 years a piece as well. That said, while books 2 and 3 are monster length at a combined 2100+ pages in total, I think it would hurt the believability to lengthen each to 2 seasons apiece.

The reason for this is they have already aged the children in the series from where they were in the book... Sansa, for example, in the book was only 11 if I remember correctly, and Danny only a year or two older. Obviously they are much older in the tv series. Splitting the seasons will just make the "children" much less believable as time goes on. And their respective ages play a role in their decision making throughout the series, so it is relatively important.

I think if they could just up the episode count to 12 or 13 per season they could cover books 2 and 3 as well as the 1st one that is slightly shorter than those two. Book four is less long, so that could easily fit into the current format...

Should be interesting...

Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information