Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Well now...

That was special. Seems that its gonna be a loooooong wait till next Spring. But at least there's True Blood and Boardwalk Empire to keep me from breaking out in hives. Man, I hate being so easily hooked. But I did manage to pass the aflliction on. A co-worker of mine cussed me out this morning. He doesn't have HBO at home but managed to find it in a hotel he was staying in while on the road... He watched 8 episodes in a row in one night... THAT is being hooked.

Later

Great season finale last night, and wow what a final scene! Sets up the next season perfectly, and you could say that about just about every major character. Each of them went through some kind of transformation as the season rolled on, and the finale was their point of arrival/departure.

Lots of big events coming up (Sansa and Joffrey's wedding for example), and obviously, major characters yet to be introduced (Stannis is looming in the background).

Now, I'm just itching for the next season to begin (Doctor Who had its mid-season finale last week, but at least there I'll only have to wait until the fall). I might have to start reading the books to tie myself over in the meantime!
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    That was special. Seems that its gonna be a loooooong wait till next Spring. But at least there's True Blood and Boardwalk Empire to keep me from breaking out in hives. Man, I hate being so easily hooked. But I did manage to pass the aflliction on. A co-worker of mine cussed me out this morning. He doesn't have HBO at home but managed to find it in a hotel he was staying in while on the road... He watched 8 episodes in a row in one night... THAT is being hooked.

Later
    Dang, holing up in a hotel room for 8 hours watching this?! That's hardcore for any TV series. I didn't even know that HBO scheduled this kind of sadistic marathon!

I've yet to watch True Blood (the whole vampire genre just doesn't do anything for me), and lots of HBO's other recent stuff hasn't caught on with me. Boardwalk Empire has its lapses, but overall a very good series.

You say yer easily hooked ... does that mean you confess to being one of those loyal viewers that stuck with John From Cincinnati?
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post
    Dang, holing up in a hotel room for 8 hours watching this?! That's hardcore for any TV series. I didn't even know that HBO scheduled this kind of sadistic marathon!

I've yet to watch True Blood (the whole vampire genre just doesn't do anything for me), and lots of HBO's other recent stuff hasn't caught on with me. Boardwalk Empire has its lapses, but overall a very good series.

You say yer easily hooked ... does that mean you confess to being one of those loyal viewers that stuck with John From Cincinnati?
    Many carriers of HBO and, other premium channels, offer a free service called "On Demand" whereby subscribers can avail themselves of most of their programming at their own convenience. In our case,with Comcast, we can generally access the entire season of their current serials (and fairly current movies and specials) such as Tru Blood, Game of Crowns, Boardwalk Empire, and whatever else might be out there. ...at least for a period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Many carriers of HBO and, other premium channels, offer a free service called "On Demand" whereby subscribers can avail themselves of most of their programming at their own convenience. In our case,with Comcast, we can generally access the entire season of their current serials (and fairly current movies and specials) such as Tru Blood, Game of Crowns, Boardwalk Empire, and whatever else might be out there. ...at least for a period of time.
    There's also HBO Go, which launched last month and allows you to stream online via browser or iOS/Android app. Of course, you have to already be an HBO subscriber, but it's pretty cool because there several series, both past and current, already loaded up that allow you to stream from start to finish. None of HBO's series have been made available on Netflix or any other streaming service.

The funny part of Worf's story is that this is somebody who does not have HBO, and planted himself up in a hotel room for 8 straight hours watching Game of Thrones.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Welp...

In an effort to stave off complete and absolute cold turkey witdrawal from the world of Westeros, I've started watching the series all over again from the beginning. Knowing the characters and the houses now make watching the first three episodes far more informative this time around. Yes HBO on Demand is a beyoootiful ting!

Worf

Worf -
    I thought about doing that as well, but I'd erased the episodes that were stored on the DVR after my wife finally got around to watching them. We watched first episode together, but she was turned off by how violent it was. I kept watching and saved the episodes for her just in case the series got better (which it obviously did). I finally convinced her to start catching up after the 7th episode, and she did a couple of 3 hour binges over Memorial Day weekend. Now, she's totally hooked.

Directv has the HBO On Demand option available, but I haven't tried it out yet, since our living room doesn't have an internet connection. I would need either a wireless bridge or a Powerline connection to that location, and haven't been motivated enough to do that yet.

For now, I'll have to just watch it on the computer!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Now that the waiting for Season Two has barely begun, onward goes the speculation on the casting!

One major confirmed role is The Tudors' Natalie Dormer who will take on the role of Margaery Tyrell.

Another rumored role would be Christopher Eccleston, who was outstanding as The Doctor in Doctor Who, playing Stannis Baratheon. If the producers pull this one off, I will be doing the equivalent of camping out at the box office for the premiere!

The linked article has a bunch of other suggested castings for Season Two. Wow, I didn't realize that this many major characters are coming up!

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/game-of-thr...he-kings--3304
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Forum Regular
    I have read all the books, and i think the show captured them quite well. It was one of my favorite book series and im glad to see that HBO has really transformed them into a TV show without leaving out the true essence of the book. I cant wait for season 2 =]

Forum Regular
    I found this list of shows for people that liked Game of Thrones. If any of you have seen any of them, let's hear your feedback. If they suck, I have not seen any of them and it's not my list.

2000 U.S. miniseries 10th Kingdom
    2009 U.S. TV Series Kings (supposed to be King David in modern times)

Wow, lots of news over the past week.

First off, Game of Thrones very deservedly received 13 Emmy Award nominations, including Best Drama and Best Supporting Actor for Peter Dinklage (who plays Tyrion).

Also, 4 more cast announcements were made, as filming for Season Two is set to begin shortly.

Gwendoline Christie as Brienne

Liam Cunningham as Davos

Carice van Houten as Melisandre

Stephen Dillane as Stannis (Argh! The Christopher Eccleston rumors didn't pan out!)

Finally, about 4,000 fans packed the Game of Thrones session at the International Comic Con in San Diego yesterday. Not much in the way of news, but some interesting quotes from the cast, producers, and George Martin. Looks like the third book in the series will be split into two season for the TV series, and Martin says that he wants a "bittersweet" conclusion when he hopefully/finally completes the book series.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/21/ga...son-2-trailer/
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Season 2 trailer for Game of Thrones has been posted. Holy schotzski!

I am so looking forward to this ... but FOUR MORE MONTHS before the season premiere?! This is freakin' cruel, HBO -- I hate you! Winter is coming ...
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Yes, should be a great second season. If they handle A Clash of Kings as well as A Game of Thrones, then we are all in for a real treat.
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Forum Regular
    sry to bump but i have to say this show is really good, my brother lives close to sean bean so he had spoken to him about this and apparently sean fought with the producers or something so he got out of the show the way he did.

Quote Originally Posted by soler View Post
    sry to bump but i have to say this show is really good, my brother lives close to sean bean so he had spoken to him about this and apparently sean fought with the producers or something so he got out of the show the way he did.
    No offense, but that seems highly unlikely as the character he plays dies the same way on TV as in the book. His character had to die, there was no other way to play it true to the book, and the future books.
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    No offense, but that seems highly unlikely as the character he plays dies the same way on TV as in the book. His character had to die, there was no other way to play it true to the book, and the future books.
    Yes, George Martin definitely liked killing characters when you least expected it and it didn't stop in the second book either.

Can't wait for the 2nd season to start.

Time to reawaken this thread!!!!

It's back! It's been a while since a series got me hooked the way that Game of Thrones did once it hit its midseason stride last year.

For Season Two, the first episode established the narrative for this season, and points to many things to come. A lot of plot exposition, but the brisk pace that got going the latter half of Season One has not let up one bit. The series has established a whole slew of plot threads, and with Stannis entering the rhelm and House of Greyjoy about to engage as well, the space has gotten even more crowded.

Sounds like a good time to do lots of killing? Yep, that's been telegraphed quite explicitly. It's only a matter of who, and how many heads on spikes we wind up seeing.

Tyrion, once again, just steals every scene. Getting over on his sister was very entertaining.

Last season, much of the series focused on Ned Stark, but now there's no single character that the entire narrative revolves around. For now, you have all these factions making claims to the throne, and it's all maneuvering around the periphery. But, we know that things will converge soon enough, and things will get ugly. That's why the scenes with Robb Stark seemed funny -- he envisions winning a few more battles, grabbing his siblings and going home to rule the north. If only it were that simple! If only he knew how many more books remain in the series!

Nothing too exciting in the first episode. More like getting the gears spinning again and establishing the main plot points. Good news is that the ratings are way up, with a 40% uptick in viewership compared to the Season One finale.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Subscribed. We just burned through season 1 to catch up. Good thing too, I'd never be able to remember all the characters with so few episodes each season compared to your typical network series.
    I agree with you Wooch, Tyrion is owning the show.

Yep. I am enjoying season two as well. Add me to the list of Tyrion fans. He owns the books too. :-)
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Yawn......

(Worf rolls over and scrathes his nethers... shakes his tangled mane and glowers into the mirror)

"I like this land called 'Westeros' there are many battles to be fought and much glory to be won!"

Welp, like Wooch said it's time to shake off the cobwebs. Episodes 1 and 2 were "alright" with Tyrion as ususal is stealing the show. Rubbed Sis's face in it real good and just de-balled the head of the gold-cloaks as slick as ever. I'm not sure about making Bran da Chief of Police" but hey... it's his show not mine. Dire Wolves get pretty big, pretty fast. Even the runt of the litter is half as tall as a man! I wish Jon Snow wasn't so impulsive and stupid. Sheesh whatta Maroon. Well the shows back, I'm back, and I'm having a good time. Good to see you all.

Worf

Kam
    with Mad Men and Once Upon a Time (i know i know... so sue me), Game of Thrones has really made Sunday a crazy night for TV.
    /create

Season Two is now at the halfway mark and the pace has picked up considerably. As noted, there's no real dominant plot thread that the series revolves around, but the plots now in play are all headed into crisis mode. Not a weak link in the bunch.

Robb Stark, not only has to deal with Greyjoy and Winterfell (along with now all of his siblings in peril), but he also has to fight a war while getting all weak-kneed over the doc chick (while still being pledged to another woman as bridge toll payment).

It was cool to see Tyrion slap his nephew king around yet again, while the natives don't have any bread and have to resort to stuff like gang rape and zombie amputations to keep themselves entertained. Funny to see the boy king's solution to everything as more killing.

The Tywin Lannister thread was the least interesting one, well, until it intersected with Arya's life as Westeros' Most Wanted. Great stuff seeing her match wits with her family's mortal enemy, while taking advantage of her three kill-on-demand cards. And what to make of Littlefinger? It's obvious that he spotted Arya, so we'll see how he tries to take full advantage of that information -- especially after Cersei schooled him on his belief that "knowledge is power." I guess he now knows that "power is power" -- how does that now apply to Arya?

I might be off-base, but Stannis is a rather disturbed guy. I guess having your little bro mock you with his "mine is bigger" attitude is one thing, but doing the nasty with the Red Priestess and having her "give birth" to your doppelganger might enough to make anyone snap.

Now, the least interesting storyline is the march to the north, and the inevitable confrontation with the wildlings. They haven't really focused too much on that plot line, and Jon Snow has been a drag all season. So, now he's joined at the hip with a wildling he was supposed to have killed, and we're left with new adventures in spooning. I thought this would be one of the better plot lines, but we're halfway through, and Jon Snow getting handed off to Halfhand and now getting lost is all that has happened.

And then there's Dany, who holds the most powerful weapons in the entire rhelm (well, after they grow up), but only gets marriage proposals and escorting offers when she needs boats. What happens now that her dragons are lost?

Should be an interesting final four episodes. I read that the next season will indeed only cover half of the third book (Storm of Swords), and some characters that were actually in the second book will wait until next season. Game of Thrones already purportedly has the largest cast of any current TV series, and there are plenty of characters yet to be introduced (and killed).
    Last edited by Woochifer; 05-08-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

I finally decided to check out Game of Thrones -- I'm enjoying it! I've blown through Season 1 and Season 2 to-date, (Eps.6), in the last week. Very entertaining.

It's pretty intense dramatically, maybe too much so. Shakespeare understood the value of a little relieve from a comic character or two. Maybe that's why Tyrion Lanister seems to steal the show; perhaps it's dwarfspoitation but there are comic aspects to his character. Minor as those comic aspects might be, there the only ones going in this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    I finally decided to check out Game of Thrones -- I'm enjoying it! I've blown through Season 1 and Season 2 to-date, (Eps.6), in the last week. Very entertaining.

It's pretty intense dramatically, maybe too much so. Shakespeare understood the value of a little relieve from a comic character or two. Maybe that's why Tyrion Lanister seems to steal the show; perhaps it's dwarfspoitation but there are comic aspects to his character. Minor as those comic aspects might be, there the only ones going in this story.
    For me, the series is just great storytelling. It took a while to establish the main plot lines (just read the earlier posts on this thread and see the mixed reaction), but once things got going it's been a great ride.

I'm not so much into comic relief. Sometimes, things will err on the side of too much comic relief, to a point that it detracts from the more dramatic elements. I find comic relief in some of the more absurd characters. For example, Joffrey is so over-the-top that he almost seems like a comical character. Same thing last year with Khal Drogo.

Tyrion steals every scene because he's a great character and a master schemer that everybody underestimates. He's the only one that can slap Joffrey around and get away with it. And they just did a great job with casting -- Peter Dinklage didn't win both the Emmy and Golden Globe awards for nothing.

Supposedly, the series has been following the book closely, but has started to rearrange some of the plot lines in recent weeks. The producers already announced that some of the characters from the second book won't appear until next season, and they've already killed at least one character that wasn't supposed to die until later.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post
    For me, the series is just great storytelling. It took a while to establish the main plot lines (just read the earlier posts on this thread and see the mixed reaction), but once things got going it's been a great ride.

I'm not so much into comic relief. Sometimes, things will err on the side of too much comic relief, to a point that it detracts from the more dramatic elements. I find comic relief in some of the more absurd characters. For example, Joffrey is so over-the-top that he almost seems like a comical character. Same thing last year with Khal Drogo.

Tyrion steals every scene because he's a great character and a master schemer that everybody underestimates. He's the only one that can slap Joffrey around and get away with it. And they just did a great job with casting -- Peter Dinklage didn't win both the Emmy and Golden Globe awards for nothing.

Supposedly, the series has been following the book closely, but has started to rearrange some of the plot lines in recent weeks. The producers already announced that some of the characters from the second book won't appear until next season, and they've already killed at least one character that wasn't supposed to die until later.
    I agree with you remarks in general.

A whole lot of characters are "over the top" stereotypical characterizations, at least as directed -- I don't blame the actors. Maybe this is catering to unsophisticated audiences? E.g. the oily eunuch, Varys, as specific example. Notwithstanding, Peter Dinklage is great of course, and I like the young actress, Massie Williams as Arya Stark.

I won't be reading the books; my eyes won't handle. I can read only so much material in a day w/o eyestrain, and GofT isn't close to top priority
    Last edited by Feanor; 05-08-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information