Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Actresses with somethin special going on

Posted this awhile back and got zilch, but one of my nominees has arrived. Tilda Swinton, a British actress who could be seen in Orlando and, later, in The Deep Pool, has arrived. You may have seen her as the "white witch" in The Chronicles of Nardia, etc. You can see her in the upcoming Micheal Clayton and she is in rehearsal for the next Coen Bros flick, again, with George Clooney.

I, also, made mention of Helen Mirren not for her recent work that you all know but for her early work like The Long Good Friday; The Cook, The Thief, and The Lover; and, lest, we forget, her voluptuous display in Caligula with Malcolm McDowell.

Come on now . . turn me on! Some other readers may share your enthusiasm for your nominees and why. Thanks.
    Last edited by jim goulding; 10-08-2007 at 02:27 PM.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Time to bail . .

Seein's how there is absolutely no interest here, I have to ask myself what I was thinking.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Suspended
    I couldn't find any movies that Patti Smith acted in Jim, so...

My Selections...

Current actresses who are great in my opinion....

Kirsten Dunst
    Rosario Dawson
    Eva Green
    Jodie Foster (yep, still got it!)
    Sigourney Weaver (def. still got it)
    Vera Farmiga
    Bridget Moynahan
    Nicole Kidman (always had it, always will)
    Kate Winslet
    Jennifer Connelly
    Meryl Streep
    Natalie Portman
    Uma Thurman
    Scarlett Johansson
    Ziyi Zhang
    Christina Ricci

Actresses I can't stand...

Angelina Jolie
    Cameron Diaz
    Renee Zellwegger (except in DOWN WITH LOVE)
    Reese Witherspoon
    Jennifer Aniston
    Sandra Bullock
    Meg Ryan

Kate Hudson

Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    Seein's how there is absolutely no interest here, I have to ask myself what I was thinking.
    This all goes back to what I was saying about how people complain about flame wars and/or thread hijacking, yet those threads get the most activity, but when you actually post something you hope to use to inspire conversation and such...NADA. My lengthy post on THX-1138 took my awhile to write up and I really put effort into writing it and posting pictures...what did I get...NADA.

This place gets a fair amount of regular activity, but it would seem that most of them would rather argue over Blu-ray than actually talk about interesting stuff.

Lauren Bacall (To have and Have Not)
    Kate Hepburn (Bringing up Baby)
    Goldie Hawn (There's a Girl in My Soup)
    Jane Fonda (Barbarella)
    Ruth Gordon (Harold and Maude)
    Uma Thurman (and her adorable Kiwi stunt double that starred in "Death Proof")
    Cameron Diaz (Something About Mary)
    Scarlett Johansen (Ghost World, The Man Who Wasn't There)

THX1138 wasn't a very good movie, that's why your thread didn't get any responses. Yeah, I saw the original long ago and also the recent re-release with the added footage and while it was a little better it was still as slow as molasses.

Thanks, Skies. You may be the most dedicated dude here. Nah, f*** that . . you ARE the most dedicated dude here! Thanks, too, Troy, Rich, what are yu grining about.

What have you seen Vera Farmiga in? She may be the best kept secret around.

Back at ya, Troy, with Jane Fonda in Klute, A definitive woman's role and one of the best performances of all time. Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive, another tour de force performance. Got any best kept secrets or mind blowing performances, anyone, fellas?

Thanks, Skies. You may be the most dedicated dude here. Nah, f*** that . . you ARE the most dedicated dude here! Thanks, too, Troy, Rich, what are yu grining about.

What have you seen Vera Farmiga in? She may be the best kept secret around.

Back at ya, Troy, with Jane Fonda in Klute, A definitive woman's role and one of the best performances of all time. Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive, another tour de force performance. Got any best kept secrets or mind blowing performances, anyone, fellas?

Farmiga was in AUTUMN IN NEW YORK as a minor character....noticed her there, then again in a little known film called DUMMY (2002), which I thought was so-so with that big nosed guy from THE PIANIST (read: peanis). Then she was in (though I did not see it and NEVER EVER EVER WILL) the remake of John Frankenheimers ever-so classic THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. She did however redeem herself to some degree though in THE DEPARTED, which is still one of my favorite movies of the past 5 years.

A few more honorable mentions....

CATHERINE KEENER
    FRANCIS MCDORMAND
    AMELIA WARNER
    JENA MALONE
    MARIA BELLO
    EVA MENDES
    MADELEINE STOWE
    MARION COTILLARD
    CARICE VAN HOUTEN
    HALIINA REIJN
    LENA HEADEY
    CONNIE NIELSEN
    JADA PINKETT SMITH
    ROXANE MESQUIDA
    LAURA LINNEY
    EMILIE DEQUENNE
    LUDIVINE SAGNIER
    SAMANTHA MORTON
    JULIETTE BINOCHE
    LENA OLIN
    Last edited by PeruvianSkies; 10-09-2007 at 06:06 PM.

Suspended
    Hello?

Charlize Theron? Academy award winner? MONSTER... MIGHTY JOE YOUNG?

Am I to believe a dumba$$ like me was the only one to mention her? C'mon people!!!

<== How 'bout that one Jimbo?

I don’t know, Rich, maybe it’s easier to inhabit a character (she had film to study, I’m sure) than invent one like Fonda so convincingly did. There was someone on the Oscar nominee list running with Theron who I thought had done as good a job but that serves no purpose cause I don’t remember who is was. I agree that Theron’s performance was worthy, however. Maria Bello just slayed me (man, I could feel her) in that scene in The Cooler after she was beaten up my Alex Baldwin’s character and the director done good by letting her play it out. We weren’t no dummy. Lena Olin’s creation of the psycho assassin ***** in Romeo Is Bleeding is so intense. Skies kind of stole my thunder with Maria Bello. Let me think. Back at ya later.

Oh. And Connie Neilson turns me on. Like Sigourney Weaver, she got somethin going on. Where'd she go?
    Last edited by jim goulding; 10-09-2007 at 07:47 PM.

I don’t know, Rich, maybe it’s easier to inhabit a character (she had film to study, I’m sure) than invent one like Fonda so convincingly did. There was someone on the Oscar nominee list running with Theron who I thought had done as good a job but that serves no purpose cause I don’t remember who is was. I agree that Theron’s performance was worthy, however. Maria Bello just slayed me (man, I could feel her) in that scene in The Cooler after she was beaten up my Alex Baldwin’s character and the director done good by letting her play it out. We weren’t no dummy. Lena Olin’s creation of the psycho assassin ***** in Romeo Is Bleeding is so intense. Skies kind of stole my thunder with Maria Bello. Let me think. Back at ya later.

Oh. And Connie Neilson turns me on. Like Sigourney Weaver, she got somethin going on. Where'd she go?

on Neilson
    She was awesome in ONE HOUR PHOTO, then did THE HUNTED (which I enjoyed), and then a crappy movie called BASIC and I think she was in a few episodes of LAW & ORDER. I liked her in RUSHMORE as well.

...I also forgot Claire Danes.

Lauren Bacall...

Came across this great photo...I was never a huge fan of hers...I am a big fan of Barbara Stanwyk though. My favorite Bacall film though has got to be WRITTEN ON THE WIND, which is flat-out hilarious as Robert Stack is shooting blanks...literally.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Actresses with somethin special going on-laurenbacallsultry.jpg  

Very nice photo to add some beauty here. She was an extraordinary looker in her day. Yeah, that Basic was doo-doo. I saw all the Law & Order episodes you refered to. Loved her accent. Good invention.

Very nice photo to add some beauty here. She was an extraordinary looker in her day. Yeah, that Basic was doo-doo. I saw all the Law & Order episodes you refered to. Loved her accent. Good invention.
    Have you seen SHOPGIRL with Claire Danes and Steve Martin?

No, P, but here's one for ya . . Radha Mitchell.

No, P, but here's one for ya . . Radha Mitchell.
    She is mixed with her movie choices, but I did enjoy PHONE BOOTH and MAN ON FIRE.

Forum Regular
    One actress i have always had a thing for is Diane Lane, she is a beautiful woman and a fine actress.She became known in Rumblefish and The Cotton Club around the age of 18 and is still going strong in her early 40's.In my mind still one of the most beautiful women on the planet.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Kam
    most of all the great choices have already been taken, so i'll put forward some lesser heralded actresses that have "somethin' special going on..."

Tera Patrick
    Eva Angelina
    Amy Reid

/create

Kam- You've stumped me, and others, I suspect, on these ladies. How about giving us some of their performances that we might get acquainted. Cool?

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    most of all the great choices have already been taken, so i'll put forward some lesser heralded actresses that have "somethin' special going on..."

Tera Patrick
    Eva Angelina
    Amy Reid

Does that "something" also happen to be something that is "transmitted" easily too?

Mutant from table 9
    Vera Farmiga was also had a good role in Iron Jawed Angels.

I would wreck that quirky lookin' little thing if given half a chance (Gee, that sounds really, really crass when I say it out loud ). Iron Jawed Angels was disconcerting for me to watch. Yeah I know its all about sufferage and feminism, but between Farmiga, Frances O'Connor, and Hillary Swank, I found myself thinking some very unprogressive things while watching.

One of my favorite guilty pleasures is the 2000 remake of Bedazzled. Frances O'Connor is just too cute. Plus, her high brow stuff ain't half bad.

But, if I can garner my selections from all of movie history, the answer is... nay, the answer must be....

1. Kate Winslet - Because she's Kate Winslet... un-fcukin'-deniable. If you haven't fallen maddly in love with her by the end of Eternal Sunshine, then you are a soulless robot.

2. Sandra Dee - Because I can't watch Gidget without feeling all pervy and dirty old manny.

3. Debbie Reynolds - Because I can't watch Singin' in the Rain without thinking "Hey, I'm not so sure Debbie Reynolds is acting as much as just being herself." She is also single handedly responsible for the best "meet cute" in movie history. Yes, Gene Kelly was there too, but it was Debbie doing the heavy lifting.

Last edited by SlumpBuster; 10-10-2007 at 06:17 PM.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Finally, some pictures

Yo Slump. Great post. Kate Winslet is strong. I still don't know those actresses I was trying to get more info on. I'm wondering if you ever saw the original Bedazzled? Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. It's classic stuff. Another great one from them is The Wrong Box with a priceless cameo by Peter Sellers. He plays an eccentric old fart forging a death certificate for said clowns. There are about 50 cats roaming around his tiny attic apartment and so he just picks one up as casual as can be and uses it for a blotter. Ya had to be there. I've never forgotten it. Bedazzled is something we all should own.

If I may...

...a quick word on SHOPGIRL starring Claire Danes and Steve Martin...

Yeah, who would have thought about seeing those two kissing on film? I don't think anyone in their right minds. This is the film that Martin wrote the screenplay for, yeah lucky him...he obviously had to star in the film and of course...kiss and do more than that with Claire Danes. Anyway, this film is really good and I love it as much as I hate it...

What do I mean by that? Well, I love the 'feel' of the film and it plays out similarly with the sweeping musical score like another one of my all time favorite films CONTEMPT. I don't know if anyone else will get this reference or not. It's a film that is both sad and happy at times, it's honest in it's portrayal of life, life, and relationships, yet the characters do things that make little sense at times, which is just like life. However, the message that this film sends is both confusing, misguided, and fake, but again this is true of how most people perceive life, love, and relationships. They "love" each other, yet know that their "love" cannot exist because of the circumstances, which begs the question of whether it's love or just lust, maybe just infatuation. Do people throw real love away? Yep all the time, but this film pretends that we can be ok with that scenario and I don't know too many people who are like that. Again, I love the chemistry of the film, but I also have mixed feelings towards it's overall statement on things. I suppose it's in many ways a modern day ANNIE HALL scenario. Still a highly recommended film!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information