meteo man

Are factory refurbished CD players good deals?

I was thinking of purchasing a Marantz CC-4300 CD player for $250 when I stumbled upon a web sit called acessories4less.com. In that web site they sell the came CD player except that it is factory refurbished for only $130. Are factory refurbished units mechanically, electrically and cosmetically perfect? They only have a one year warratny instead of the usual three years from Marantz.

Good Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by edlchiang62
    I was thinking of purchasing a Marantz CC-4300 CD player for $250 when I stumbled upon a web sit called acessories4less.com. In that web site they sell the came CD player except that it is factory refurbished for only $130. Are factory refurbished units mechanically, electrically and cosmetically perfect? They only have a one year warratny instead of the usual three years from Marantz.
    Refurbs are typically units that were DOA when purchased or died soon after. They may or may not be cosmetically perfect. They will be mechanically and electrically perfect and repreesent a substantial savings.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Well maybe, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by risabet
    Refurbs are typically units that were DOA when purchased or died soon after. They may or may not be cosmetically perfect. They will be mechanically and electrically perfect and repreesent a substantial savings.
    Personally I've had fairly bad luck purchasing refurb stuff. Make sure they have the full warranty of a standard product.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Check with Marantz and see if the dealer is an Authorized reseller. The shorter warranty could suggest that they are not. If you have a problem, you want Marantz behind the warranty not yournamehere.com.

meteo man

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Check with Marantz and see if the dealer is an Authorized reseller. The shorter warranty could suggest that they are not. If you have a problem, you want Marantz behind the warranty not yournamehere.com.

Thanks for your e-mail...I did check with the Marantz website and they are an authorized dealer for refurbished Marantz hifi products. Yet they still only come with a one year warranty.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

For a piece of equipment like this

Quote Originally Posted by edlchiang62
    Thanks for your e-mail...I did check with the Marantz website and they are an authorized dealer for refurbished Marantz hifi products. Yet they still only come with a one year warranty.
    A one year warrenttee is all you really need. If it's going to break it will most likely do it in the first few weeks of use. Also, most refurbed gear gets benched tested. This alone makes it a BETTER deal than an untried component. In audio, only the higher end gear ever gets bench tested before shipping, consumer level stuff goes out right off the line.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information