• 03-12-2005, 11:32 AM
    edlchiang62
    Are factory refurbished CD players good deals?
    I was thinking of purchasing a Marantz CC-4300 CD player for $250 when I stumbled upon a web sit called acessories4less.com. In that web site they sell the came CD player except that it is factory refurbished for only $130. Are factory refurbished units mechanically, electrically and cosmetically perfect? They only have a one year warratny instead of the usual three years from Marantz.
  • 03-12-2005, 01:13 PM
    risabet
    Good Deal?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by edlchiang62
    I was thinking of purchasing a Marantz CC-4300 CD player for $250 when I stumbled upon a web sit called acessories4less.com. In that web site they sell the came CD player except that it is factory refurbished for only $130. Are factory refurbished units mechanically, electrically and cosmetically perfect? They only have a one year warratny instead of the usual three years from Marantz.

Refurbs are typically units that were DOA when purchased or died soon after. They may or may not be cosmetically perfect. They will be mechanically and electrically perfect and repreesent a substantial savings.
  • 03-12-2005, 01:44 PM
    Feanor
    Well maybe, but ...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by risabet
    Refurbs are typically units that were DOA when purchased or died soon after. They may or may not be cosmetically perfect. They will be mechanically and electrically perfect and repreesent a substantial savings.

Personally I've had fairly bad luck purchasing refurb stuff. Make sure they have the full warranty of a standard product.
  • 03-14-2005, 07:22 AM
    noddin0ff
    Check with Marantz and see if the dealer is an Authorized reseller. The shorter warranty could suggest that they are not. If you have a problem, you want Marantz behind the warranty not yournamehere.com.
  • 03-14-2005, 12:15 PM
    edlchiang62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Check with Marantz and see if the dealer is an Authorized reseller. The shorter warranty could suggest that they are not. If you have a problem, you want Marantz behind the warranty not yournamehere.com.

Thanks for your e-mail...I did check with the Marantz website and they are an authorized dealer for refurbished Marantz hifi products. Yet they still only come with a one year warranty.
  • 03-17-2005, 07:18 PM
    Geoffcin
    For a piece of equipment like this
    Quote:

Originally Posted by edlchiang62
    Thanks for your e-mail...I did check with the Marantz website and they are an authorized dealer for refurbished Marantz hifi products. Yet they still only come with a one year warranty.

A one year warrenttee is all you really need. If it's going to break it will most likely do it in the first few weeks of use. Also, most refurbed gear gets benched tested. This alone makes it a BETTER deal than an untried component. In audio, only the higher end gear ever gets bench tested before shipping, consumer level stuff goes out right off the line.