Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Media players and Vista

Any recs on media players with vista? I'm finding that the standard Real Player doesn't take to kindly to the newer Windows. Before I go an track down whatever byzantine and convoluted solution they may or may not have come up with, has anyone found a decent altenative? Flac?

Hhhhmmmnn...

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Is it just for Real Media? I use something called Real Alternative, but admittedly, it's not on a Vista machine. Or are you talking more generally? Have you tried WinAmp yet?

It was my understanding that Real Media require a different player than most anything else.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I'm speaking more generally Peter. I'm starting over from scratch with a brand new machine and am just looking for a way to store and manipulate music at the highest possible quality (while avoiding the still crappy Windows Media Player) given the Vista constraints.

I owe a few characters some shiny, round presents.

Foobar2000

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I'm speaking more generally Peter. I'm starting over from scratch with a brand new machine and am just looking for a way to store and manipulate music at the highest possible quality (while avoiding the still crappy Windows Media Player) given the Vista constraints.

I owe a few characters some shiny, round presents.
    Recently I've been using Foobar2000 as an alternative to iTunes because it isn't such a resource hog. It will play virtually any format, though some such as Apple Lossless, require a plug-in. Haven't tried on Vista, though.

Foobar is a pain to configure since it requires a few 3rd party plug-ins to reach good level of useability and flexibility. See Foobar's website ...
    http://www.foobar2000.com/
    Also check out the Wikipedia reference ...
    http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....tle=Foobar2000

Bob you may have to wait a bit and see who comes out with a vista friendly player other than Media player. For some reason Vista has really thrown a curve ball on many levels of compatiblity. Could be the dreaded Microsoft way or the highway!
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Which works better with Vista? Real Player or Windows Media Player?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Yeah, I've had a hard time with Real Player, VLC player and Winamp in Vista. Just subscribing to this thread out of curiousity. I use Windows Media Player and Real Player still the few times I use Windows, a giant chunk of my digital library is MP3 and WMA, should really replace those..

Thread Information