Media players and Vista

Printable View

• 04-15-2007, 12:46 PM
    bobsticks
    Media players and Vista
    Any recs on media players with vista? I'm finding that the standard Real Player doesn't take to kindly to the newer Windows. Before I go an track down whatever byzantine and convoluted solution they may or may not have come up with, has anyone found a decent altenative? Flac?

Hhhhmmmnn...
  • 04-16-2007, 10:54 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    Is it just for Real Media? I use something called Real Alternative, but admittedly, it's not on a Vista machine. Or are you talking more generally? Have you tried WinAmp yet?

It was my understanding that Real Media require a different player than most anything else.
  • 04-16-2007, 07:39 PM
    bobsticks
    I'm speaking more generally Peter. I'm starting over from scratch with a brand new machine and am just looking for a way to store and manipulate music at the highest possible quality (while avoiding the still crappy Windows Media Player) given the Vista constraints.

I owe a few characters some shiny, round presents.
  • 04-17-2007, 07:33 AM
    Feanor
    Foobar2000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I'm speaking more generally Peter. I'm starting over from scratch with a brand new machine and am just looking for a way to store and manipulate music at the highest possible quality (while avoiding the still crappy Windows Media Player) given the Vista constraints.

I owe a few characters some shiny, round presents.

Recently I've been using Foobar2000 as an alternative to iTunes because it isn't such a resource hog. It will play virtually any format, though some such as Apple Lossless, require a plug-in. Haven't tried on Vista, though.

Foobar is a pain to configure since it requires a few 3rd party plug-ins to reach good level of useability and flexibility. See Foobar's website ...
    http://www.foobar2000.com/
    Also check out the Wikipedia reference ...
    http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....tle=Foobar2000
  • 04-17-2007, 10:04 AM
    recoveryone
    Bob you may have to wait a bit and see who comes out with a vista friendly player other than Media player. For some reason Vista has really thrown a curve ball on many levels of compatiblity. Could be the dreaded Microsoft way or the highway!
  • 05-28-2007, 05:25 PM
    eugene49
    Which works better with Vista? Real Player or Windows Media Player?

• 05-29-2007, 04:02 AM
    kexodusc
    Yeah, I've had a hard time with Real Player, VLC player and Winamp in Vista. Just subscribing to this thread out of curiousity. I use Windows Media Player and Real Player still the few times I use Windows, a giant chunk of my digital library is MP3 and WMA, should really replace those..