Forum Regular

PC to Receiver: Digital Interface Question

How do I connect my PC with a standard analog output soundcard to a receiver with coaxial or optical inputs in order to send Digital MP3 music to my receiver. PC also has standard USB Port. Will my MP3 music sound better if transferred digitally? Will I need special software for the PC?

Quality of sound depends on your soundcard

you can use the stock soundcard built into your computer (likely a 1/8" inch headphone or line outpt) using an mini to rca cord to your receiver and get music off your 'puter and into your stereo. There is a chance your stock sound card has a digital output of some kind, you'll have to check. That will likely give you better sound.

If you have a little money to spend and want better sound, look at buying a better sound card. This will make all the difference in the world. I have an external sound card, an M-Audio Audiophile USB and it sounds amazing, better than any cd player I have had. The only software you will need are drivers to support your sound card and an mp3 player for your computer like itunes or winamp.

Another factor that will affect at sound quality is bit rate used in creating your mp3 files. the higher bit rate the better the sound, but at the expense hard drive space. High bit rate files take up some space!

-Eric

Forum Regular

Squeezebox or Airport

Quote Originally Posted by rokybird
    How do I connect my PC with a standard analog output soundcard to a receiver with coaxial or optical inputs in order to send Digital MP3 music to my receiver. PC also has standard USB Port. Will my MP3 music sound better if transferred digitally? Will I need special software for the PC?
    There's also another option. Assuming you have a home network (wireless or wired) you can use one of the following:
    1. Slim Devices Squeezebox
    2. Apple Airport Express with Airtunes

The Squeezebox has a remote, a nice text display, digital and optical outputs, and you can also control it via any web browser on your network. It supports Linux, Windows, and Mac, and multiple mp3 player programs including iTunes. Definitely the cream of the crop. It goes for about $300.

The Airport serves as a repeater for a wireless network, and can also connect to your home stereo. It works with iTunes, but can only be controlled via a computer on your network. It supports Mac and Windows. It's biggest advantage is it's only about $120.

If you have the cash, squeezebox hands down.
    Last edited by kaltfuzion; 12-30-2004 at 07:33 PM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rokybird
    I would grab THIS it has a digital optical out on it. Plus it's cheap. I've heard good things about chaintech cards.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I have a quick question. I'm building a new computer and have been reading suggestions on hooking up my computer to my receiver and some people are suggesting internal and some external sounds cards. Are there benefits in going with an external USB vs an internal sound card?

Thread Information