Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dac help

AR Newbie Registered Member
    In addition I Recommend Professional Multipage PDF to Image Convert for Mac Convert Multipage PDF to Image, JPG, TIFF, BMP or PNG.

Quote Originally Posted by DisoKda View Post
    In addition I Recommend Professional Multipage PDF to Image Convert for Mac Convert Multipage PDF to Image, JPG, TIFF, BMP or PNG.
    Is this spam? Or does this person not understand what we are talking about?

Moderator?!

Picked up a Beresford tc-7520SE for $165, shipping included, from Audiogon. The dac will be delivered tomorrow. I was about to pull the trigger on the DAC-11 but then this came up and was $200 cheaper. I'll miss out on the tube aspect and the extra line out, so it was a tough call. Other than those it has all the same functions, especially the headphone option. I have heard mostly positive reviews about this dac. Some say it is a giant killer, I'll be happy if it plays music and puts a smile on my face.

Enjoy the Beresford. As I gather there are lot of people quite pleased with them.

I've taken no action on replacing my "cheap" DAC; I'm still using my old, 20 bit ladder-DAC Assemblage 1.5. Despite good reports I'm still not ready to spring for the DAC-11. In any case it won't happen this month -- I just got a big car repair bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome View Post
    Picked up a Beresford tc-7520SE for $165, shipping included, from Audiogon. The dac will be delivered tomorrow. I was about to pull the trigger on the DAC-11 but then this came up and was $200 cheaper. I'll miss out on the tube aspect and the extra line out, so it was a tough call. Other than those it has all the same functions, especially the headphone option. I have heard mostly positive reviews about this dac. Some say it is a giant killer, I'll be happy if it plays music and puts a smile on my face.
    Enjoy the Beresford, it is supposed to be a very good budget DAC.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Thanks guys. I'm starting to enjoy it. At first it was not too my liking; it was too bright and the mid-range was recessed a little. Now it has started to smooth out, but the mid-range is still lacking a little. Going to perform some of the cheaper mods that is suggested with the caps and resistors and that should fix it. Some people like this dac because it is so easy to mod and the creator posts actively on different mods he suggests.

What I have noticed about the Beresford TC-7520 so far:

- can be a little thin and bright
    - cheap
    - it has an enormous sound stage that is staggering (really that best thing about the dac)
    - the detail retrieval is phenomenal especially for the older parts it uses, I hear more of the recording than I ever have.

- it does not mate well with my Jolida 502a (will try with the SET amp that I will make this year)
    - it sounds great with my Acurus DIA 100 but a can be unforgiving of badly compressed mp3 files

Here's the biggest surprise:

Through my Macbook using the demo version of Channel D's Pure Music putting out only 16bit/44.1 though usb to the Beresford tc-7520 (that rate is max for the Beresfords usb) connected to my Acurus.....sounds amazing. The detail is all there, the sound stage is even bigger; and more lateral and vertical, and it is buttery smooth. I could live with 16/44 this way. * The added benefit is that I can use my Ipod as a remote even with Pure Music embedded. Not just play and track select, you can use the Ipod to visually search through your whole library and even control the volume.

I will tell you how the mods go in the near future and post pics.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information