Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cheap DAC working well

Forum Regular
    I tried a Filo D07. It works, but I found the sound quality awful. I do not expect real high fidelity from TV sound, just reasonable. In that sense, the Filo is very different from a quality DAC such as the SMSL SD-1955.

I have been spoiled by the SMSL SD-1955 and am looking for something comparable in sound quality. It is hard to believe that there is no reasonably priced DAC with good sound that can handle DTS.

But it is NOT easy to find. I have a Tianyun Zero DAC that sounds really good, but is PCM only too. I use it with my computer setup.

Forum Regular Registered Member

Which one to buy...?

Quote Originally Posted by roclite View Post
    Feanor, you are probably correct and you have SD-1955+ electronics in an SD-1955 labelled case. From experience, Chinese Quality Assurance leaves a lot to be desired and lots of different versions of the "SD-1955" probably exist with different op-amp configurations and other key components, depending on the actual manufacturer, not necessarily SMSL :-) i.e. the manufacture may be sub-contracted out to other Chinese electronics manufacturers. This probably explains much of the variability in other SD-1955 users listening experiences.

For the benefit of others who might be reading this thread, it would appear that the original SMSL SD-1955 with 24V PSU may still be available direct from some Chinese suppliers as opposed to the newer revisions currently being sold on UK/USA eBay and Amazon:

Smsl Sd-1955 Dir9001 Ad1955 Dac Optical Coaxial Decoder & Power Adapter - Buy Optical Coaxial Decoder & Power Adapter,Digital Audio Decoder,Digital Amplifier Product on Alibaba.com

If nothing else, the internal pictures serve to show that there are considerable differences in the design, layout and components on the circuit boards. Therefore, you might expect them to sound different, because they are.
    Hi all,

I've been reading this very interesting post for a couple of days now and thank you all for the very valuable information

I have found the above early version recommended by roclite here:

Freeshipping SD 1955 DIR9001 AD1955 DAC Audio Decoder EG5032-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

but it only supports up to 24/96 sample rate as opposed to the upgraded(?) Sanskrit version available both on aliexpress and ebay for about the same price which supports 24/192.

Which one do you think I should I go for?

Also, how would this DAC compare to the Schiit Modi?

Thanks

Which one to buy...?

Feanor, you are probably correct and you have SD-1955+ electronics in an SD-1955 labelled case. From experience, Chinese Quality Assurance leaves a lot to be desired and lots of different versions of the "SD-1955" probably exist with different op-amp configurations and other key components, depending on the actual manufacturer, not necessarily SMSL :-) i.e. the manufacture may be sub-contracted out to other Chinese electronics manufacturers. This probably explains much of the variability in other SD-1955 users listening experiences.

For the benefit of others who might be reading this thread, it would appear that the original SMSL SD-1955 with 24V PSU may still be available direct from some Chinese suppliers as opposed to the newer revisions currently being sold on UK/USA eBay and Amazon:

Smsl Sd-1955 Dir9001 Ad1955 Dac Optical Coaxial Decoder & Power Adapter - Buy Optical Coaxial Decoder & Power Adapter,Digital Audio Decoder,Digital Amplifier Product on Alibaba.com

If nothing else, the internal pictures serve to show that there are considerable differences in the design, layout and components on the circuit boards. Therefore, you might expect them to sound different, because they are.
    Hi all,

I've been reading this very interesting post for a couple of days now and thank you all for the very valuable information

Freeshipping SD 1955 DIR9001 AD1955 DAC Audio Decoder EG5032-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

but it only supports up to 24/96 sample rate as opposed to the upgraded(?) Sanskrit version available both on aliexpress and ebay for about the same price which supports 24/192.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gidihubbert View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks
    I have heard neither the early version SMSL SD1955 nor the Sanskrit, only the later version 1955 with the wall-wart power supply. I have owned the Schitt Modi subsequently.

The current version of the Modi is available EITHER in USB-only OR optical Toslink-only forms: you have to choose up front. My Modi certainly sounded different from the SMSL 1955 I owned. The sound was "fuller", a bit more forward, and maybe a bit warmer in the mid-range; it was smoother in the top highs but offered no better, if as good, resolution; the bass was similar as I recall. The Modi is made in the USA. Assuming the other SMSL's mentioned above are a similar sound to the later-version 1955 I owned, the choice between them and the Modi is a matter of associated equipment and personal taste. However I suspect a majority of people will prefer the Modi's fuller, slightly warmer sound.

Hi all,

Also, how does this (these?) DAC compare to the Schiit Modi?

Thanks

Hi all,

Also, how does this DAC compare to the Schiit Modi?

Thanks

Hi all,

Also, how does this DAC compare to the Schiit Modi?

Thanks

I've been trying to look at page 6 of this thread and it won't allow it!!!!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by keilau View Post
    I tried a Filo D07. It works but I found the sound quality awful. I do not expect real high fidelity from TV sound, just reasonable. In that sense, the Filo is very different from a quality DAC such as the SMSL SD-1955.

I have been spoiled by the SMSL SD-1955 and am looking for something comparable in sound quality. It is hard to believe that there is no reasonably priced DAC with good sound that can handle DTS.

But it is NOT easy to find. I have a Tianyun Zero DAC that sounds really good, but is PCM only too. I use it with my computer setup.
    The Schiit Audio Loki has DSD64 for $150, however it does ONLY DSD.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread Information