Forum Regular

5 -W's on CD Players

I am curious toknow whatthe dofferencein a cheap DC DVD player to a highpriced units.
    Iwas told years back when Cd's first am Sony\Phillips were seling therebrnd out as whole units to other factorys they werepulling te laserout or building aourn it in a new box and name onit.
    I was Also told mosto f your Cd player\burners come out of one factory the bulid them for every one . The factory all ready has the tooling setup for this type of pro- dution and it's cheaper to have an OEM company built the CDpalyer and put a brand name on it to having a private compny set up there own Cd plant.
    Also the laszer used is the same throughout all players .
    My bet is your just buying a better motor and some other better guts but the 50 buck CD to the 500 doallar player still use the same laszer in it !!
    It's also the same for tweeters as well , com e out of one plant in Europe they make them for every body and there brother just come with the specs and bread and they will make it any way you want. it;s cheaper to have things made this way for the speaker builders .
    Intersting stuff behind yuor brand names
    James

What???

I heard that every automobile made comes out of the same factory...

No,seriously, it's the DAC that makes the most difference in a CDP.

I really don't know what else to say, except to ask "who" told you this stuff??

BTW, my speakers don't have tweeters or midranges.

Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar
    Umm........yes.
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    -----------------------------
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T
    Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD
    Denon DBP-1611 bluray
    -----------------------------
    KEF K120- Jolida JD202a- Cambridge Audio D300 cdp- T500 tuner

Photo gallery

Next time, sober up before you post. Good lord.

Forum Regular

5W's

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Next time, sober up before you post. Good lord.
    Sory I'm just a real bad typest on these light weight KB's still can' use to the feel of them . Plus I think faster than I type
    No I don't drink tummy dont let me any more .
    I don't mind no hang overs !!
    No to worry my other siteis aways teasing me on my new english as well
    I f someoe in vades my box it's in code you see !!
    Now after al m letter writing skills areknown now here's what I am after.
    What's in a 500 buck player to a 50 buck player ?
    thanks
    James

j

What info do you have on high to low DV\CD Players ?

Forum Regular
    To answer your question. Night and Day. Go listen to the 60.00 cd player and then listen to a good one. You will know in an instant there is a big difference. I just went from a 100.00 DVD/CD player and purchased an Arcam CD73 player. I am listening to my CDs for the first time again.

I have not had the TV on for more than 3 minutes total since I got the new player, that was 2 weeks ago today.

Best upgrade I ever did. Remember that the most important component in your system is the source. Get a good source and enjoy your stereo/hi fi.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lindhorst
    To answer your question. Night and Day. Go listen to the 60.00 cd player and then listen to a good one. You will know in an instant there is a big difference. I just went from a 100.00 DVD/CD player and purchased an Arcam CD73 player. I am listening to my CDs for the first time again.

I have not had the TV on for more than 3 minutes total since I got the new player, that was 2 weeks ago today.

Best upgrade I ever did. Remember that the most important component in your system is the source. Get a good source and enjoy your stereo/hi fi.
    Whereas I still think that the speakers are more important than the CD player as far as a system's sound, the improvement I got from adding a DAC to my one box player was perhaps more significant in a way. It definitely increased my enjoyment of the CD medium and no speaker could have done that! I tried for several years to improve the sound of CD's by auditioning higher and higher priced players but the DAC finally turned the trick.

The bottom line is that you need to maximize ALL areas of your system, sources, amps and cables included along with source material, speakers and room acoustics. Skimping in any area will leave your system deficient.

Forum Regular
    Nobody will ever say speakers are not an important part of the HI FI system. But they are the end component and the best speaker in the world will only produce really acurate garbage if thats what it receives.

Source is the most important component. If you read any audio magazines or books on HI FI they all agree on this. Any real audiophile will tell you the same thing. I think what you meant to say is most people believe that speakers are the most important part of the Audio system. Wrong Wrong and Wrong.

In TV the source is the most important part also. The better the other equipment the more source garbage you will enjoy.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lindhorst
    I think what you meant to say is most people believe that speakers are the most important part of the Audio system. Wrong Wrong and Wrong.

Leaving out the source material and the room acoustics, I meant to say that I personally believe that the speakers are the most important part of an audio system. Unless one is using a defective CD player, the differences among them are nowhere near as broad as the differences in speakers. Poor speakers will have more influence on the poor sound one gets than a cheap CD player. Hence, the best advice for a newbie is to put most of their starting funds into speakers. A $1000 pair of speakers partnered with a $100 CDP will easily outperform a $1000 CDP playing through $100 speakers. Granted, the $1000 speakers would benefit from a better CDP but not nearly as much as the $1000 CDP would benefit from better speakers. What the audio books and magazine writers fail to write is that perfection, while still elusive, is much nearer in CDP's than in speakers. The best CDP in the world will produce inaccurately reproduced garbage through lousy speakers.

Of course, the goal is to spend a proportionate amount on each component to achieve symmetry where no component is being shortchanged because of another. But if I ever purchase a CD spinner that retails for anything close to what my speakers retailed for, it better clean my house as well as spin CD's!

I firmly believe that a system is only as strong as it's weakest link.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Holy moly, i can't even read what he wrote, it's so full of mistakes.

Thread Information