Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Administrator Site Administrator

I'm a audioholic

The forums are made of a group of unique folks from various backgrounds how have come together to talk about all things audio and video.
    Last edited by atomicAdam; 03-04-2009 at 07:05 AM.

Hi, I'm LDB and I'm a audioholic, I haven't listen to music for 2 days.

This thread is just what we needed, Thanks
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Suspended
    "Gatherings"? Good luck with that Adam.

I would've titled it New Member Introductions.. something more generic and mainstream.

Hello,

My name is Michael. I am also an adioholic. Music is playing on my PC now. When I leave, music will be playing in my car. When I get home, music will be playing there. When I sleep, music keeps playing. My morning alarm is the music going off. I get up and turn it back on. I leave it on as I leave the house. It's programed to shut off a few minutes after I'm gone. I start my car with a remote, and the music starts before I get in. There is a brief time walking from the car to my PC before I get to hear music again. Most of my coworkes know not to get in my way up the stairs.
    Rinse, and repeat.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    And why in the world would you even lump Intro's and gatherings into the same category anyway?

Hello, everyone. My name is Auric A and I am an audioholic....I am a six-album-a-day addict....It's been three days since I have listened to an album....Um, where do you get the chips? Anyway (ahem)....

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Hello, everyone. My name is Auric A and I am an audioholic....I am a six-album-a-day addict....It's been three days since I have listened to an album....Um, where do you get the chips? Anyway (ahem)....

SIX!!! That's it. Come back bo' whens ya has a real problem.

I hope your other vises are worse than this one.

Oh ya, dis is a support group, Sorry Aa

You brute!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    "Gatherings"? Good luck with that Adam.

I would've titled it New Member Introductions.. something more generic and mainstream.

You know rich you don't run this site - if you'd like to apply for the job though i believe you saw the post about the position. until such time, take it or leave it. but either way you've worn out your welcome with me.

and to answer your question about why they are together, it is because they are both community oriented issues.

Charm Thai™
    Hello my name is Steve. I like fast music and even faster women.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    You know rich you don't run this site -
    It was determined well before you joined that ConsumerReview is owned by a marketing firm, which is why there are so many unrelated ads here, with many of them taking forever to load.
    if you'd like to apply for the job though i believe you saw the post about the position. until such time, take it or leave it.
    If I had the necessary qualifications to fill the position, do you think I'd waste those talents on such an outmoded site like this one?
    but either way you've worn out your welcome with me.
    Let's review:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich in June of '08
    I've had a couple of conversations now with atomicAdam, who is here temporarily to update the site. He wants suggestions on how best to improve the experience here and according to what he tells me, a new permanent admin is being sought. I'm going to post the two e-mail conversations I've had with him and I included JM & E-stat with my second reply:
    Can you tell me atomicAdam if you are an active administrator here? IF you've read my or a lot of other people's posts in the Site Feedback forum, you'd notice there has been quite a bit of frustration exhibited because of the lack of leadership. Your thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam in response
    Hey Rich,

The answer to the question is yes and no. I am working on updating the site but I am not the new admin admin. Though, if you have ideas, request, even just links to things you've already said I would like to read them. In fact you can spread the word too for others to comment.

Thanks,
    -adam
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Thanks for the quick response Adam. The biggest issue we have here is with spammers. JohnMichael and E-stat spend most of their time tracking down spammers and deleting their posts and memberships. In many discussion forums I've posted in, you have to make your e-mail address visible to admins during registration. If you don't do that, a pop-up window appears and if you answer no to the question, you can go no further. This I think would go a long way towards cutting down the crap from spammers we have to deal with on a daily basis.

I'm glad you say you're here to update the site because there are days when posts by members take very long to appear, and I've read where some people don't have the "Quick Reply" box at times.

Here are some links to threads that contain some of the complaints we've had over time:

This one was about e-mail (PM messages I believe)

AR email problem

This one was about PM's from spammers and the only way to stop them was by sending them to a mod, but my contention is that the site's software should be able to catch this.
    PM's from Spammers?????

Here's a thread about suggestions for reoganizing the forum topic breakdown:
    Time to Reorganize?

And there are people who've tried to add products to the AR database with no luck. Post #4 includes an error message:
    http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...179#post221179

The biggest question I've had during my time here is why there was no admin assigned to replace ericl?

I've included our two active mods in this message, and in my opinion, some of the others who show up as mods should be decommisioned as they no longer post here. (Geoffcin and ericl come to mind).

My hope is that we'll see a more modernized forum Adam, because as you can see we've become a tight knit community, and a lot of our posts show up on the Google Search website.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help us out. -Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicAdam
    Hey Rich,

Thanks for the PM.

I will go over the forum issues w/ our engineer and see what can best be done. I agree - spammers are lame - and they are a problem on all forums that consumerreview.com runs. MTBR, RBR, Photo...etc..

I know a replacement for Eric is being sought, but no match yet.

Give me some time to take on these issues. I will be spending a lot of effort getting audioreview.com back into better shape but my time is also split among other things.

Thanks for the feed back and PM or email me anytime.
    adam@consumerreview.com

-adam
    I could go on and on (which I did here: Yes, New (Temp) Admin )
    with all the positive interactions I had with you regarding your indications that the site would improve, but I think the real members here get the gist of what I'm trying to say. Fact is Adam, NOTHING has changed for the better, page load times are still dog slow, spammers still rule here (BTW, in so many other discussion forums I visit, spammers don't get a second chance because the mods BAN the IP address the first time around), and non-A/V ads still appear here. We had an occasion where the "Report Bad Post" link was broken, and members were unable to add photo's to their picture library (I still haven't gotten an answer to my question re: Where are my pictures: Where are my pictures!!! There have been MANY suggestions by members here about the problems with this site, but they're fallen on completely deaf ears.

So now you tell me I've worn out my welcome with you? Like I said in my e-mail, IMO all you've given us here is lip service, which was all probably passed along by you from your management. Marketing IS all about deceiving the consumer, right? I asked you to prove that there have been improvements; if so I'd apologize, and all I got was "No Rich. And I'm not looking for an apology."
    and to answer your question about why they are together, it is because they are both community oriented issues.
    I can probably count on one hand all the gatherings that have taken place in the five years I've been a member here. Do you see the trend Adam?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I've been a member here. Do you see the trend Adam?
    No one holding a gun to your head to stay here rich.

I agree with many of the thing you say above about site improvements, but, unfortunately I can only get some much into the engineering queue.

Unfortunately things take longer than either you or I had hoped.

But I have to draw the line in listening to you about your 5min load times (hello browser time out), your sneaky behavior in getting information from other mods, your anti homosexual rants, and your down right dirty accusations against why I am managing the site.

So, Rich, Try and I am to get things done, like a vBulliten upgrade, database improvements/cleanup, product updates, better integration of parts of the site. They can't be done over night, especially when audioREVIEW doesn't have a full time, dedicated engineer.

So Rich, you can take it of leave it. Your choice.

Suspended
    No one holding a gun to your head to stay here rich.
    Trimming my statements to suit your arguments I see.

No, no one's holding a gun to my head. No one held a gun to the heads of much better members than me who left for the exact reasons I and many others here have already stated either. ResidentLoser comes to mind. Know him? E-stat does.
    I agree with many of the thing you say above about site improvements, but, unfortunately I can only get some much into the engineering queue.

Unfortunately things take longer than either you or I had hoped.
    So you're telling me now that things are taking longer than expected, as opposed to keeping myself, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, the membership here up-to-date regarding the difficulties in getting the site updated/upgraded. Interesting.

But I have to draw the line in listening to you about your 5min load times (hello browser time out), your sneaky behavior in getting information from other mods, your anti homosexual rants, and your down right dirty accusations against why I am managing the site.
    1. "hello browser timeout"? My browser times out waiting for a response from audioreview.com. I watch the status line in the bottom left corner of the window Adam, so I don't get your point.
    2. "sneaky behavior... info from other mods". Yeah okay Adam. I think in my five years here, E-stat has responded to maybe five of my posts, has NEVER responded to any PM's I sent him, including the one where I openly stated that I included him and JohnMichael re: "I've included our two active mods in this message, and in my opinion, some of the others who show up as mods should be decommisioned as they no longer post here. (Geoffcin and ericl come to mind)", which would make about two PM's total. BTW, E-stat shows himself as a "Retired mod" FYI. JohnMichael still has a bug up his arse because I and many others here consider SpankingVanillaIce a troll. That's troll, nothing to do with sexual preferences.
    3. "anti-homosexual rants". You're walking a slippery slope there son. Again, prove it. Your attempt to tarnish my image here is typical of someone who feels the need to introduce his own ego and biases into the discussion. Are you hearing me JohnMichael?
    4. "dirty accusations..." Again, trying to tarnish my image. They aren't lies though are they Adam?
    So, Rich, Try and I am to get things done, like a vBulliten upgrade, database improvements/cleanup, product updates, better integration of parts of the site. They can't be done over night, especially when audioREVIEW doesn't have a full time, dedicated engineer.
    "Overnight". No kidding. Over the year you've been here... not so easy to overlook Adam. Again, better people than me have left for many of the already stated complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    So Rich, you can take it of leave it. Your choice.
    "Is that your final answer?"

Hi, I'm AA. I listen to music 24/7 (when possible).

It'd be nice for the site moderators/administrators/engineers to introduce themselves aswell.
    I don't know much of the situation, apart from the read I've had on this thread.

Welcome, aa....The coffee pot's over there. Need a sponsor?

Only if the sponsor has hf gear that will blow my mind.

nightflier
    Whoa, what did I walk into? I better grab some popcorn.

Could help. Ok, maybe more like 8/7.

Administrator Site Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Whoa, what did I walk into? I better grab some popcorn.
    you'd better eat that popcorn fast - cause the conversation is already stale.

"8/7"?
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

yeah, 8 hours a day, 7 days a week

Ohhhh...(Duh). Whatever, whenever, however, you know? We can be pencil you in, now, if you like....

nightflier
    Well, I know everyone's tossing about the "______ Anomimous" phrase, but if ya'll start yapping about religion, then I'm outa here. There's another thread for that kinda talk.

I'm a bachelor with my own house so I can get my fix anytime I want. I don't have any headphones either. Na Na Na Na Na! So there!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information