Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gjpham
    Ok, you guys go bang your head in the wall if you have to, but base on your answer, it still quite unclear.
    Space: means keep the left and right spks cables apart from each other. Ok, I got this one, but...
    Twist: mean twist the negative and positive together like KimberKable? I assume you are not telling me to twist left and righ spk cable together, please verify Dusty.
    Ok, now go bang your head if you have to, hehehe. Hey I got your point but just want to be more specific.

When we are speaking of spaced or twisted we are only talking about the + and - of one channel. So for example when you are running wires to the right speaker you can decide if you want to allow space between the positive and negative wire or to twist them together. If you want to double up the runs you would have two wires for the + and two wires for the -going to the right speaker. Which ever you decide to do you would do the same thing for the left speaker.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Cleared, that's a 10-4. Thanks.

Forum Regular
    1/ What size is YOUR FRONT speaker cables. Many brands keep this secrete, so in your opinion, is it bigger than 18 awg? (Not counting the shielding)
    Yes, larger than 18 awg.

2/ What brand?
    Purist Audio Design and Gabriel Gold

3/ What lenght?
    33 inches and 1 meter respectively.

4/ what type? Floor standing or bookshelf type?
    Floorstanding

Forum Regular
    I can get this roll brand new 500-ft for $100 from a local shop but affraid I will spend endless time again try to hear differences.
    It is Jamo Orange 14 gauge with 105-strand, 500ft. = Good deal?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Bi-wired and all home made:

Tweeter/Mids are 16 strands (eight each direction) of Cardas 24 gauge solid 5 nines silver (drawn through diamond dies and anealed in an oxygen free atmosphere). Teflon sleeving. 8 number 24 gauge is equal to one 15 AWG in resistance. I'd go bigger, but I can't afford it. (Oh yeah, 15 gauge in silver is probably about 14 gauge in copper)

Woofer; 1 pair Cardas ultra pure 6 nines copper litz 9.5 AWG

All ends terminated with Cardas lugs Rhodium over silver over copper, Total cost for two 8 foot runs about $700
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanv
    Bi-wired and all home made:

..."8 number 24 gauge is equal to one 15 AWG in resistance." and "(Oh yeah, 15 gauge in silver is probably about 14 gauge in copper)"...
    Hi, where do you get these info, any links or a formula for me?
    Thanks,

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Canare 4S11 Star-Quad

so whatever that is, I believe they say it's equivalent to 11 gauge but I don't recall or care.

It's connecting my Totem Rainmakers to my C320 BEE.

Hi, where do you get these info, any links or a formula for me?
    Thanks,
    There are wire tables on the internet, they provide mechanical size and ohms per thousand feet.

If you parallel two wires of the same gauge you get a gauge that is three sizes smaller. i.e two number 18 wires result in one number 15 wire. Works for all gauges because the gauges are proportional.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Forum Regular
    using 8' lengths signal cable.Had originally ordered canares and they are enroute.Friend gave me the signal cable.When the canares arrive i may go ahead and switch them out and see if there is a difference.

My fronts are wire w/ Audioquest Type 8 straight w/ bananas. I had some left over Audioquest 14/4, so I ran them in parallel (doubled them up if you will) and they rock! If Hermanv's formula is correct, then I guess my awg for them is 11?

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    Canare 4S11 Star-Quad

so whatever that is, I believe they say it's equivalent to 11 gauge but I don't recall or care.

It's connecting my Totem Rainmakers to my C320 BEE.
    adding on:

yep it is 4 14 gauge twisted conductors, so effectively two 11 gauge since I'm not biwiring or bi-amping.

Suspended
    I have 14' runs of 12 gauge H.D. speaker wire to the fronts, and 25' runs of 14 gauge (to better fit under my base molding) to the rear. I've swapped out the fronts with more expensive wire on a few occasions and have never heard anything that I can point to as an improvement. Different, yes. Better, no.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanv
    ..If you parallel two wires of the same gauge you get a gauge that is three sizes smaller. i.e two number 18 wires result in one number 15 wire. Works for all gauges because the gauges are proportional.
    Thanks all, so, I purchased that Jamo 14awg but it turned out that my original speaker cables are 16awg, not 18awg as I expected. Therefore, going from 16 to 14 is not alot so I returned it and wanted something bigger. They have a bundle of Jamo 16awg of 4 wires... according to your math, if I double it up, I should have 13awg which is good enough for me. An interesting project for this weekend. I can get this 500ft roll for $120 if someone interested.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_In_Wall.html

GTF
    Forum Regular
    Single strand cat5.
    The cat5 replaced Radio Shack Mega Cable.

GTF

Quote Originally Posted by GTF
    Single strand cat5.
    The cat5 replaced Radio Shack Mega Cable.

GTF
    It only matters how it sounds to you. CAT 5 is usually 4 pairs of 24 AWG of solid wire with no metallurgy specifications. 4 Pairs of 24AWG has the same DC resistance as 1 pair of 18AWG, probably fine for shorter runs. Like I said, if it sounds good to you then it is good by any definition that matters.

CAT 5 cable is a quasi controlled impedance cable (i.e. velocity of propagation is similar for all frequecies) of around 110-130 Ohms. Usually insulated with irradiated PVC (poly vinyl chloride) a Teflon insulated version can be found. Many articles on using this as a speaker cable recommend multiple cables terminated so as to maintain the advantages of twisted pair (in other words you can't run one CAT 5 for the positive and another for the negative). Two CAT 5 cables would be 15 AWG and four would be 12 AWG which is getting quite respectable. Here is one reference http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html

In my personal experience larger wires or lower gauges generally sound better than higher gauges. True for a single large conductor with a small advantage for a number of small conductors paralleled, especially noticable on tweeters.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

I read some comments and see folks using lamp cord and such. I wish I were still blissfully unaware of what good cables can do, I'd have a lot more money in my pocket to buy more components. Sadly, I was exposed to what good cables can do, and so began the long journey to get all my cables to a certain standard. I do think that people using highly sensitive speakers more than 96db -e.g. horns and compression drivers - don't have to worry about high performance speaker cables quite so much.

I use two types of cable for my front channel needs. My center channel speaker, the massively brilliant Polk CS/1000p is hooked up with transparent MusicLink Ultra (15ft length) as are my front speakers (Monitor Audio GR60s) but the ultra is only 10ft for the front. When I bi-amp/tri-amp, I also have QED Genesis Silver Spiral Bi-wire.

*cough*

I use a Magnan Signature speaker cable. 2x 2.4m in length. They are ribbon cables. There is a lot of technical information on the magnan website.

Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    I use a Magnan Signature speaker cable. 2x 2.4m in length. They are ribbon cables. There is a lot of technical information on the magnan website.

Will they bite you if you get too close to their mouth?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Well, once you pull out your wallet to buy a pair it already bites. Its agressive, even before you get close to it
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Well, once you pull out your wallet to buy a pair it already bites. Its agressive, even before you get close to it
    Hahaha, I can't get myself to pay more for cables than I've spent on the speakers. These will have to wait. And wait, and wait, and wait.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Flo I also like ribbons. I use the AlphaCore MI1 which are 13 guage single conductor ribbons for each polarity. They are not as big as yours but neither are my speakers.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Speaking of ribbon cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Flo I also like ribbons. I use the AlphaCore MI1 which are 13 guage single conductor ribbons for each polarity. They are not as big as yours but neither are my speakers.
    I have a pair of Nordost Flatline Gold II's currently in use in my HT system. I did use them in my stereo system before going to the short length, bi-wire Monster (probably actually Canare) 14ga. pair I described above.

I really haven't noticed any difference on account of these cable changes. I know, I know, I should listen harder: after all, I'm no audiophile if I'm not convinced that every change makes a difference, and any difference is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I have a pair of Nordost Flatline Gold II's currently in use in my HT system. I did use them in my stereo system before going to the short length, bi-wire Monster (probably actually Canare) 14ga. pair I described above.

I really haven't noticed any difference on account of these cable changes. I know, I know, I should listen harder: after all, I'm no audiophile if I'm not convinced that every change makes a difference, and any difference is significant.

Feanor I do not agree that you should listen harder. I have always said that I think we are sensitive to different aspects of reproduced sound. I am sensitive to changes in cables and can not listen to stranded cables long term. Keeping in mind I have never paid more than $200 a pair for speaker cables. In the range I can afford the AlphaCores are the best for me.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

LMB
    Forum Regular
    I have Acoustic Zen Hologram 8awg
    Make sure your left & right wires are the same lengths so info reaches at same time

LMB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information