Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

YOUR Speaker Cables

Hi ev1, please chim in and show us what you've gotten.
    1/ What size is YOUR FRONT speaker cables. Many brands keep this secrete, so in your opinion, is it bigger than 18 awg? (Not counting the shielding)
    2/ What brand?
    3/ What lenght?
    4/ what type? Floor standing or bookshelf type?

Thanks all,

Quote Originally Posted by gjpham
    1/ What size is YOUR FRONT speaker cables. (many brands keep this secrete, so in your opinion, is it bigger than 18 awg? (Not counting the shielding)
    2/ What brand?
    3/ How long?

Thanks all,
    I'm just using basic double insulated 12ga wire. Nothing special.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I am using Alpha Core MI1 speaker cable. The wire is 13 guage and the cable consists of one copper ribbon for negative and one for positive. The cables are 8ft. long. I am using bookshelf speakers.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

When...

...does wire make the transition to cable? More than a pair? Is it speaker wire and interconnect or coax cable?

Anywho...10 ga. jacketed, sound re-inforcement (PA) wire...50ft/ch...and no, my speakers aren't 100 ft apart, but they are remote from my electronics...

jimHJJ(...not the frst time the question's been asked...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    Ew, I suspect mine are way too small then if consider its lenght. One is 14' and other is 20'. Both are premium auto speaker cables with a fine 112 strands on each terminal. Brand Lightings and printed as 18 awg. Too small?

Ew, I suspect mine are way too small then if consider its lenght. One is 14' and other is 20'. Both are premium auto speaker cables with a fine 112 strands on each terminal. Brand Lightings and printed as 18 awg. Too small?
    Debatable. Some will say that anything 18ga or larger is all you need. Others will say that anything less than 10ga solid platinum, oxygen free wire is useless.
    My take is that it depends on the rest of your system. If you have a $300 system, why spend $1000 on wire. But if you have a $50,000 system, why cheap out with $20 wire? Gotta find a balance. The chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
    I feel that 16ga is fine. But the 12ga wasn't too much more, so there you have it.
    Your 18ga may be fine, but think that you may get a fuller sound with 16 or better. My 12ga was only $30 for 100 feet.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I have 12 ga, standard insulated wire, some 14 ga, and some 16 ga in my three systems. I've used Nordost, Kimber and Monster in the past.
    I use 16 gauge in my speaker projects, sometimes 14. Can't hear a difference, on small cheap projects I've even gone as low as 20 awg for short runs of less than a foot.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Resistance of 18 awg wire exceeds 5% of system impedance at around 16 feet, for 4 ohm loads...I like 4 ohms as a guide for ballparking because in most systems, most speakers approach that at at least some frequencies.
    How big an impact is 5% impedance going to make? It will have some impact, enough that I think an upgrade to thicker wire may cause some benefit improvements. Though to be honest, it may not make any audible difference on some speakers.
    16 awg doesn't top 5% until 24 feet, 14 awg at 40 feet by comparison. Not a huge deal in your case, but not completely insignificant. An upgrade in thickness shouldn't be terribly costly at all.

Forum Regular
    I use Belden 5000 series cable 10 gauge 5T00UP purchased from bluejeanscable.com.

My PS Audio Xstream cables for my fronts are the thickest dang cables I've ever seen. They are 6 guage with 9 solid core conductors that are then wrapped making the cable about 1.5. inches in thickness. At times it's almost too much as it takes some serious strength to get these rigid cables attached to your amp if you are working around other things like racks and such.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    My PS Audio Xstream cables for my fronts are the thickest dang cables I've ever seen. They are 6 guage with 9 solid core conductors that are then wrapped making the cable about 1.5. inches in thickness. At times it's almost too much as it takes some serious strength to get these rigid cables attached to your amp if you are working around other things like racks and such.
    A bit like a garden hose huh?

Linear Guy

my 34 Lire

I've had Anti-Cables in my main system for about 6 months. They must be OK because I stopped fretting about cables.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Which system? I have everything from Monster XP in my vintage system to Cardas Neutral ref (which is like a skinny garden hose) in my reference system (which, admittedly, is currently discombobulated).
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Think garden hose...with armor.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Suspended
    For stereo I use Siltech MXT Pro New Yorker,I think 12', it is a coaxial style with 200 strands .of 03mm thickness each. The strands are a combo of PCOFC copper, silver and gold. Very good sounding cable

In HT I use Transparent, same length. Transparent was started by engineers who formerly worked for MIT, so they continue in the network technology. You'll have to read their story. In a thumbnail cables have an antenna effect and the networks are supposed to eliminate any sound effects by the cable. All I know is with solid state the Transparent cables sounded overall better with a dramatic improvement in bass response.

I have floorstanders

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    If they were black and not a bright blue you might think a Python Snake was in your listening space.

Mutant from table 9
    I have a perplexing front pair. 14 guage RCA brand from Home Depot in 8 foot run with pin connectors. The perplexing part? They are bi-wired. Yes, bi-wired with "El Cheapo" Home Depot wire. I did it because, well... why not? That's why. Plus I think it looks kinda cool, which is a big part of the reason many of you have garden hose cable. You can talk about the sound properties all you want, but admit... It looks cool too, doesn't it?

My back surrounds are wired with solid conductor Romex wire left over from my basement remodelling. Its concealed in the walls, of course. If you don't know what Romex is, it is the same type of wire carrying the electricity to your light bulb. I'm not going to throw out perfectly good left over wire, not when I could use it to hook up some speakers.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Forum Regular
    THanks all, I'm reading and analyzing each every comments of yours, including one with home electric Romex wire.
    Q: On my Apr 2007 Stereophile mag, page 117, they commented on a RadioShack 18-gauge speaker wire:" You have to choose for yourself wheather space or twist a pair for best sound (or even wheather to double up the runs for less series impedance)."
    Please explain what these terms mean, because high posibility that I may give it a try.
    - Space:
    - Twist a pair:
    - Double up the runs: (I think I kinda get this one but wanna hear it from you guys.)
    If your thought is diff from others, feel free to express it in your own way. I am open minded, and ev1 here too.
    Last edited by gjpham; 03-29-2007 at 09:26 AM.

Monster !~!!!!~!

1/ What size is YOUR FRONT speaker cables. Many brands keep this secrete, so in your opinion, is it bigger than 18 awg? (Not counting the shielding)
    2/ What brand?
    3/ What lenght?

Thanks all,
    What I use is Monster 14 ga. 4 conductor cable to bi-wire my MG 1.6's. I got the wire and the Dayton banana plugs I use from Parts Express. My cables are only 3 foot in length because I use monoblocks with longer, balanced interconnects (from Blue Jeans Cable). See the wire and bananas here ...

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Space means to keep them apart; twist means to twist them together. Double up the runs means to use two cables in parallel where normally one would suffice.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular Mwalsdor_cscc_edu's Avatar
    1/ What size is YOUR FRONT speaker cables?

24awg (5n) 99.999% pure solid silver wire with 20awg teflon bared-wired to the binding posts.

2/ What brand?

DIY

3/ What lenght?

10' runs

Floor standers: SILVERLINE AUDIO SONATINA ('Avalon' version)-dynamic three-way / soft dome tweeter&mid-range / (2) 6' bass drivers / rosewood finish (93db/simple x-over/flat 8ohm phase angle).

THanks all, I'm reading and analyzing each every comments of yours, including one with home electric Romex wire.
    Q: On my Apr 2007 Stereophile mag, page 117, they commented on a RadioShack 18-gauge speaker wire:" You have to choose for yourself wheather space or twist a pair for best sound (or even wheather to double up the runs for less series impedance)."
    Please explain what these terms mean, because high posibility that I may give it a try.
    - Space:
    - Twist a pair:
    - Double up the runs: (I think I kinda get this one but wanna hear it from you guys.)
    If your thought is diff from others, feel free to express it in your own way. I am open minded, and ev1 here too.

The wire they are talking about is their 18 guage solid core hook up wire. You can buy a spool for very little money. It will not look like your average speaker wire. When last I purchased a spool the covering was a thin black plastic. I played around with it for awhile. Decide what length you want, for example 10 ft, and unroll 4 10 ft. lengths of wire. If you are going to twist the wire you will need to color the ends of the wire you will be using for the positive so after it is twisted together you will be able to hook your speakers up in phase. When I ran them spaced I just let them hang and from the back of the speakers and they stayed apart except for the occasional wire crossing. Then twist them and listen for any changes. If you liked them spaced it would be easier to buy a new spool then untwist the wires. At about $10 a spool it is cheap enough to try it many ways. As far as doubling up the runs instead of cutting four wires you cut eight. If you really want to get crazy you can buy the hookup wire in different guages. You could combine 2 18 guage wires a 20 guage and a 22 guage wire for an interesting cable.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by daviethek
    I've had Anti-Cables in my main system for about 6 months. They must be OK because I stopped fretting about cables.

That is when I know I have the right cables, when I can sit and listen to the music without wondering if another cable might sound better.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    I;m not sure of the brand of cable I have. I used several cables scavanged from old lamps to patch together a run 'bout 75'. For some reason my sound is a bit muted, but I saved a TON of money. Well, of course some of the savings were used up to buy the lead solder I used to connect each length. And the radio shack shrink wrap to make sure it was firesafe to run through the walls near my main breaker.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Space means to keep them apart; twist means to twist them together. Double up the runs means to use two cables in parallel where normally one would suffice.
    Ok, you guys go bang your head in the wall if you have to, but base on your answer, it still quite unclear.
    Space: means keep the left and right spks cables apart from each other. Ok, I got this one, but...
    Twist: mean twist the negative and positive together like KimberKable? I assume you are not telling me to twist left and righ spk cable together, please verify Dusty.
    Ok, now go bang your head if you have to, hehehe. Hey I got your point but just want to be more specific.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Hey...

Quote Originally Posted by Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
    1/ What size is YOUR FRONT speaker cables?

24awg (5n) 99.999% pure solid silver wire with 20awg teflon bared-wired to the binding posts.

2/ What brand?

DIY

3/ What lenght?

10' runs

Floor standers: SILVERLINE AUDIO SONATINA ('Avalon' version)-dynamic three-way / soft dome tweeter&mid-range / (2) 6' bass drivers / rosewood finish (93db/simple x-over/flat 8ohm phase angle).
    ...MikE...what's up? Still running the SET amp? Still running? How's the family?

jimHJJ(...hope all is well...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information