Forum Regular

wire gauge and short distances

I've read a bunch of stuff about using lower gauge for longer distances. I was wondering what gauge is best for short distances. I know that a higher gauge will suffice for short distances. But will switching to a lower gauge improve performance even in that case?

I will be connecting a 80W stereo amp to Martin Logan Clarity speakers. The distance between the amp and speakers wont be more than 4-5 ft. Just trying to decide what gauge wires to buy. Any suggestions on brand welcome too.

cheers,
    kz

It is possible to use wire that is too small.

It is nearly impossible to use wire that's too big.

Electrostatic speakers usually have a very low impedance at high frequencies (My M-L ReQuests drop to 1 Ohm at 20KHz)

Your speakers are quite revealing, use a decent wire, I'd recommend 14 gauge minimum, 12 would be better.

In my opinion however, a smaller gauge quality speaker cable would be better than 10 gauge hardware store zip cord.

usedcable.com has a good selection and will let you audition various cables for a small fee.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Quote Originally Posted by kingzorghh
    I will be connecting a 80W stereo amp to Martin Logan Clarity speakers. The distance between the amp and speakers wont be more than 4-5 ft. Just trying to decide what gauge wires to buy. Any suggestions on brand welcome too.
    As Hermanv noted, electrostatic speakers present a reactive load that is different from conventional speakers. Low inductance is more critical than just large gauge.

In the less-than-astronomical-budget category, I would recommend something like Kimber 4TC which has less than half the inductance of basic 12 or 14 gauge zip.

rw

I used Kimber 4TC for a few years it was fine. At the length kingzorghh is planning, even 8TC is financially reasonable. Michael Percy sells just the Kimber 8TC raw cable for $16 per mono foot. Buy and install your favorite terminations and save a few bucks.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Quote Originally Posted by kingzorghh
    I've read a bunch of stuff about using lower gauge for longer distances. I was wondering what gauge is best for short distances. I know that a higher gauge will suffice for short distances. But will switching to a lower gauge improve performance even in that case?

cheers,
    kz
    Considering that these speakers present a really low impedance at 20kHz, you're best bet would be to use 12 AWG wire, even for that short of a run.

Damn, it must be true then, the world is ending or Armageddon is here. FLZapped and I agreed on something.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hermanv
    Damn, it must be true then, the world is ending or Armageddon is here. FLZapped and I agreed on something.

And they say there is no such thing as miracles!

-Bruce

Thread Information