AR Newbie Registered Member

Laptop to Receiver Connect

What are the various options that I have to connect my Dell laptop computer to my Onkyo SR602 receiver so that I can play the music that I have on the computer? Which is best?

Thanks!

What's best

Quote Originally Posted by schaudel70
    What are the various options that I have to connect my Dell laptop computer to my Onkyo SR602 receiver so that I can play the music that I have on the computer? Which is best?

Thanks!
    I'd say what would be best would be USB connection to a DAC, (digital to analog converter), that has USB input. A relatively low cost option of that type would be this from Stereo-link ...
    http://www.stereo-link.com/index.html

In this case I am assuming your listening to 2-channel music such as MP3's. If you're speaking of DVD audio, the principle still applies, that is, a USB connection to an external sound card.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I'd go with USB as well just for simplicity, every computer has a USB out. You can buy a USB to Toslink converter if you don't have a DAC that accepts USB.

Forum Regular
    depending on your computer you may have an optical toslink out on your 1/8 in headphone or line out jack. check with your sound settings and your manual. if you do have this just connect the toslink from the computer to the receiver. if not then the usb a to d is the way to go. if you just want a cable to do it you can use a stereo 1/8in to rca and take the signal out of the headphone jack, but this is the lowest quality of the options.
    Rosza Center for the Perfroming Arts
    Amature radio: KD8DYO
    Michigan Tech. University:
    Mechanical Engineering/Technical Theater

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Your computer sound card probly sucks and you are most likely playing crapy mp3's. That being the case just get a headphone jack to rca connectors at radioshack. They wont cost very much and are easy to use.

nightflier

You have a few options

Quote Originally Posted by AudioMakesMe Poor
    Your computer sound card probly sucks and you are most likely playing crapy mp3's.
    Hey, let's lighten up on the poor guy. It's only his second post.

schaudel70, I think herm0016 described it best, but I think what everyone is saying is that you have 3-4 choices:

- Use a D/A adapter that has USB in and RCA out to your receiver (best quality)
    - If your computer has optical output, you should be able to take that straight to your receiver (ok quality)
    - If these two options are not possible to you, then just pick up an iPod to RCA cable at your local BB/CC to go from the headphone output to your receiver (passable quality).

One other option is to buy an external or PCcard audio adapter and connect it to your receiver.

I not up on the USB connection, but from first hand use of the standard patch cord (1/8-RCA) you have to be careful of HD hum. I use a laptop when I do DJing and when the power cord is plugged in I can hear the HD and CD spinning up, its very low and most people would not notice, but I do. When its running on battery the noise is gone.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Thread Information