• 04-06-2007, 10:42 AM
    kingzorghh
    wire gauge and short distances
    I've read a bunch of stuff about using lower gauge for longer distances. I was wondering what gauge is best for short distances. I know that a higher gauge will suffice for short distances. But will switching to a lower gauge improve performance even in that case?

I will be connecting a 80W stereo amp to Martin Logan Clarity speakers. The distance between the amp and speakers wont be more than 4-5 ft. Just trying to decide what gauge wires to buy. Any suggestions on brand welcome too.

cheers,
    kz
  • 04-20-2007, 08:45 AM
    hermanv
    It is possible to use wire that is too small.

It is nearly impossible to use wire that's too big.

Electrostatic speakers usually have a very low impedance at high frequencies (My M-L ReQuests drop to 1 Ohm at 20KHz)

Your speakers are quite revealing, use a decent wire, I'd recommend 14 gauge minimum, 12 would be better.

In my opinion however, a smaller gauge quality speaker cable would be better than 10 gauge hardware store zip cord.

usedcable.com has a good selection and will let you audition various cables for a small fee.
  • 04-21-2007, 07:48 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kingzorghh
    I will be connecting a 80W stereo amp to Martin Logan Clarity speakers. The distance between the amp and speakers wont be more than 4-5 ft. Just trying to decide what gauge wires to buy. Any suggestions on brand welcome too.

As Hermanv noted, electrostatic speakers present a reactive load that is different from conventional speakers. Low inductance is more critical than just large gauge.

In the less-than-astronomical-budget category, I would recommend something like Kimber 4TC which has less than half the inductance of basic 12 or 14 gauge zip.

rw
  • 04-21-2007, 08:34 AM
    hermanv
    I used Kimber 4TC for a few years it was fine. At the length kingzorghh is planning, even 8TC is financially reasonable. Michael Percy sells just the Kimber 8TC raw cable for $16 per mono foot. Buy and install your favorite terminations and save a few bucks.
  • 04-23-2007, 07:31 AM
    FLZapped
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kingzorghh
    I've read a bunch of stuff about using lower gauge for longer distances. I was wondering what gauge is best for short distances. I know that a higher gauge will suffice for short distances. But will switching to a lower gauge improve performance even in that case?

cheers,
    kz

Considering that these speakers present a really low impedance at 20kHz, you're best bet would be to use 12 AWG wire, even for that short of a run.
  • 04-23-2007, 10:02 AM
    hermanv
    Damn, it must be true then, the world is ending or Armageddon is here. FLZapped and I agreed on something. :) :) :)
  • 04-24-2007, 09:57 AM
    FLZapped
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hermanv
    Damn, it must be true then, the world is ending or Armageddon is here. FLZapped and I agreed on something. :) :) :)

And they say there is no such thing as miracles!

-Bruce

:16: