Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Question what is the difference in wires?

i know that you can get bbigger guages and better terminal ends but why are brands like monster so much money? is there a good buy to buy wires at a better prices? do better wires change the sound?

when i bought my bose system, the wire were small and nothing special about them.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    a bose system is not capapble of resolving cable differences. a larger gauge wire like 16 or 14 gauge MIGHT make a small difference but generally its when you get into real components that these differences come in to play.
    ...regards...tr

Mutant from table 9
    He's on the upgrade path and not looking to use the Bose.

Wire can be very controversial. Some people swear by esoteric wires, some don't. It is certainly an area rife with snake oil. Use the biggest gauge that you can of a good solid wire. Stay away from Monster unless it is on clearance. Good purveyors of wire without the astronomical expense and without the snake oil include Parts Express and Blue Jeans Cables.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

the best advice at this point is to just get the equipment and use the interconnects that come with it (or get some from monoprice.com) and for speaker wire, go to home depot or Lowe's and get 16 or 14 gauge twinlead wire.

after you are ready to upgrade your equipment to separates of good pedigree (that may take a while), then and only then try some more premium wires in the less than $100 per pair and preferably less to see IF yo hear an improvement.

of speaker wire upgrade, audioquest makes type 4 which is very affordable and sounds very good.
    ...regards...tr

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have to give a nod of approval to the AntiCables. They are a 12 gauge solid core cables. They are $10 a foot for a stereo pair. If you need 7ft cables they will cost you $70 for a stereo pair. I think they are good enough to see you through many system upgrades.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

BJC's speaker wire, Belden 12g at 60 cents a foot. No nonsense and cheap. I beleive the 10g is about 80cents/ft. They will be the last speaker wire you buy. Most people cant hear the diffence in wire. With 10-12g you can have long runs and not worry about signal degredation.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

" Most people cant hear the diffence in wire"

thats because receivers arent very revealing. whenb you graduate to more refined components, its like going from dirty regular window glass to exquisitely clean ground crystal. the clarity difference can be very obvious.

some people are happy with an ipod.
    ...regards...tr

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rightaway View Post
    i know that you can get bbigger guages and better terminal ends but why are brands like monster so much money? is there a good buy to buy wires at a better prices? do better wires change the sound?

when i bought my bose system, the wire were small and nothing special about them.
    the only time I've ever heard a difference in speaker wire was at a Denon training class between ultra high end ($500.00 per meter) and the basic stuff that usually comes with HTIBs
    We spec speaker wire based on the application;4 conductor, UL CL3 rated for in-wall, thicker gage for long runs, plenum for duct work, direct burial, etc..
    For general use 16 gage 2 conductor with a decent jacket is good enough

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I agree with Tommy here, in the early stages of building a system, don't spend too much time or money on cabling. Buy something that's a notch above bottom-of-the-barrel. For example, I used Acoustic Research Pro II Series cabling for sometime, and frankly with nice results. I then began experimenting with solid core and tinkering with DIY (cheap and fun). Once I had built the most synergistic system I could afford, I moved my focus to cabling.

My most prized cable is a 1M WBT 2020 w/ locking 0101 plugs. These cables proved to be amazing. Infact I was almost put off by them initially as the highs were so incredibly forward. After a few days I grew accustomed to them, they are between my amp and pre amp, and are a major part of my system.

I have no illusions about cabling, I think Tommy's analogy is a good one. They can make small changes in a system, good or bad is up to the listener. However I laugh at people who say there is no difference at all. At the end of the day it's all subjective and you must do what you feel is best for the sound.

I would suggest some research at this stage. Frankly, Audioquest are a great brand and can be had used at excellent prices, usually about 50% off. Sites like Audiogon are a great place to look and get a feel for the market. In most cases you will be buying from an obsessive audiophile, so the cables will be as new. As far as character goes, I have found AQ's to be smooth and laid back, so whether that's what you end up looking for could be a deal breaker.

As I mentioned with the WBTs, they really unleashed all the highs my system could offer, which is exacty what I was after, having an all tube back end.

OK have a great day, all praise unto cable debates...

[QUOTE=poppachubby;369406]I agree with Tommy here, in the early stages of building a system, don't spend too much time or money on cabling.

QUOTE]

Which is why I recommended Blue jean cable speaker wire at 60 cents a foot. I have a $500pr speaker wire that sounds no different in my system than the pair of 10g Blue Jeans cables that I bought. Don't knock'em unless you have heard them. A lot of people with higher end systems use them.

At 60 cents/foot he will not be wasting his money. 20ft for $12 is a lot cheaper than dropping $70pr.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

[QUOTE=blackraven;369415]
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby View Post
    I agree with Tommy here, in the early stages of building a system, don't spend too much time or money on cabling.

QUOTE]

Which is why I recommended Blue jean cable speaker wire at 60 cents a foot. I have a $500pr speaker wire that sounds no different in my system than the pair of 10g Blue Jeans cables that I bought. Don't knock'em unless you have heard them. A lot of people with higher end systems use them.

At 60 cents/foot he will not be wasting his money. 20ft for $12 is a lot cheaper than dropping $70pr.

I see you have listed your IC's but not your speaker cables. May I ask which $500 speaker cables you own?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

[QUOTE=blackraven;369415]
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby View Post
    I agree with Tommy here, in the early stages of building a system, don't spend too much time or money on cabling.

QUOTE]

If you went from stranded to stranded you might not notice a difference. If you are curious about solid core try your advice and try magnet wire in 12 gauge. You might be surprised.

Magnet Wire

Seriously I think you might have fun and be surprised with the results. I might have tried the magnet wire if I knew about it before the AntiCables. Of course I am happy so I will not bother with the magnet wire but I would be interested with your results.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 09-25-2011 at 06:40 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

i would really be interested in trying some blue jean wire and if the need comes up, i just might.

i WAS lucky to be in the right place at the right time for my speaker wire-20' pair of kimber 8tc for $50!
    ...regards...tr

[QUOTE=JohnMichael;369427]
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post

I see you have listed your IC's but not your speaker cables. May I ask which $500 speaker cables you own?
    A few yrs back I bought a pair of Z4 reference cables from Monster (i know, I can hear the laughs) on Ebay for $120, they were selling locally here for $499. They are very well made and at least as thick as a garden hose. They sounded no different than a pair of expensive MIT cables that a friend of mine has.
    In addition, we compared BJC IC's to $300pr MIT Shot gun IC's and could tell no difference in a system or PSB Synchronies, Nuforce Model 9se monoblocks and an Acoustic Research preamp. Now I'm not saying that there can't be differences just because I can't hear any because there are too many people that say they can!

Monster Cable Z4ML1010 124740 Z4 Precision Audiophile Speaker Cable with Network Terminators Featuring Time Correct windings at Vanns.com
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Cables can make a huge difference - especially silver vs. copper wire. It is really the final step in fine tuning your system to your liking. Silver tends to be very precise if you may - almost harsh in some systems. Copper is more laid back. However, it is very system dependant. Say you have a speaker that is on the laid back side and you want clearer, tighter bas. You could add a silver interconnect from say your DAC to youe pre-amp and so forth until you find the optimal combination. Signal Cable makes excellent silver and copper cables for a decent price so you can experiment.

Cables are interesting to me. I can hear differences in cables when I compare them. On the other hand it takes a week or more in my system to know if the differences are an improvement or something that will begin to grate on the nerves. I once purchased some IC's that were silver plated copper. Initially the detail in female vocals seemed incredible. About two weeks later I could no longer stand to hear most female vocalists through my system. Not all differences are improvements. Differences are easy to hear improvements take a little longer to decide. The cables were sent back during the thirty day trial period.

[QUOTE=blackraven;369444]
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post

A few yrs back I bought a pair of Z4 reference cables from Monster (i know, I can hear the laughs) on Ebay for $120, they were selling locally here for $499. They are very well made and at least as thick as a garden hose. They sounded no different than a pair of expensive MIT cables that a friend of mine has.
    In addition, we compared BJC IC's to $300pr MIT Shot gun IC's and could tell no difference in a system or PSB Synchronies, Nuforce Model 9se monoblocks and an Acoustic Research preamp. Now I'm not saying that there can't be differences just because I can't hear any because there are too many people that say they can!

Monster Cable Z4ML1010 124740 Z4 Precision Audiophile Speaker Cable with Network Terminators Featuring Time Correct windings at Vanns.com
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    do you think the gauge of the cable makes a difference in sound? right now i have monster xp. not sure the gauge, it think 12-16 gauge??? powering my Dynaudio's off of a adcom amp. now i have some radioshack 10 gauge wire. do you think i should chance to the radioshack wire?

You will have to try them both to see which sounds best. You might be surprised. I am still surprised at the improvement to my system for my ears that the AntiCables have made. I am liking my Monitor Audio RS6's more than I would have thought. One day we may know why little changes can make a big differences.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Monster XP sounds good and is 16g. For longer runs over 10' higher gauge can be better especially with demanding speakers and a less robust amp. You can never go wrong with heavier gauge speaker wire. If there is no difference in sound then go with the heavier gauge. I tried some 16g wires with my MMG's and they got hot when I played the music loud. So I only use 10-12g. in my systems.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Bigger gauges=better sound

i dont know what gauge my kimber 8tc is but it works well with MY magnepan MMGs driven by an adcom 555II.
    ...regards...tr

Forum Regular
    I fully agree...Bigger gauges=better sound

Forum Regular
    when connecting banana clips into the reciever's input, do you screw the input on the reciever all the way in and than put the banana clip speaker wire in

Forum Regular
    is it a noticeable difference though?

Forum Regular
    Go one step able bell wire and the bog standard usually included interconnects and you'll be fine. Some people get far into expensive cables whereas if they were blind tested they wouldn't have a clue!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information