Thread: In-wall cables

Forum Regular

Question In-wall cables

I will be moving into a new house and before the drywall is installed I would like to put in speaker cable. I know the gauage I will be going with, but is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

eqm
    Quote Originally Posted by garmonjo
    I will be moving into a new house and before the drywall is installed I would like to put in speaker cable. I know the gauage I will be going with, but is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

You'll probably need to get some that is has a UL/CL listed jacketing to pass most inspections. usually it consists of two wires twisted inside an outer sheathing with a cotton pull thread inside. Here's a link to an example:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=100-722

You might also want to run a pvc conduit though the walls to serve as a "future-proofing". the pvc pipe allows you to use the existing wires run through it as pull wires for new types of connections. so you don't end up like the people that ran coax to every room of the house and are surprised they can't transmit HDTV signals from a box two rooms over.

KEEP IT EASILY REWORKABLE!!

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the help!

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the help!
    I have another question. Has anyone had in experience with the Dayton Wallplate Double Banana / Binding Post? Are they good? Also, I am not very familiar with installing something like this, so are there connections on the back of the plate that I put the wire running from the wall? Link to the part below.

Parts Express - Wall Plates

Thanks again.

eqm
    I have another question. Has anyone had in experience with the Dayton Wallplate Double Banana / Binding Post? Are they good? Also, I am not very familiar with installing something like this, so are there connections on the back of the plate that I put the wire running from the wall? Link to the part below.

Parts Express - Wall Plates

Thanks again.
    1 binding post on each side. will work fine, except you won't be able to connect bananna plugs to both sides; i would probably do the bare or "tinned" wire on the inside of the wall and banannas on the outside for quick disconnect. do the separated bananna plugs rather than the dual style; it will save headaches if the holes don't line up 100%!!!

Forum Regular
    Thanks again!

Thread Information