Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Suspended
    I'm glad the power cables are working for every one, I'm sure results vary but I found them an excellent tweak as the improvement for me was well worth the expense. If any one has a phono stage that will allow the upgrade I think you would be totally amazed at what happens.

Aging Smartass
    My AC-14SE has still not arrived, nor have I received any notification from Audio Advisor as to an expected shipping date. My son in law originally ordered it on December 3rd, with the intention of having it shipped to him. He was then going to wrap it in Christmas wrapping, and then send it to me. He has since spoken to someone at AA advising them to ship the cable directly to me. And, so I wait...

Once I get it, I intend to try it out on three different components: my Marantz SA-8001 SACD player; my Parasound PL/D-1100 preamp; and my Parasound PPH-100 phono "stage/preamp." I never thought to use it on the phono preamp, but the previous post intrigued me. I rarely listen to LP's, but it's certainly worth a shot to see what difference the cable may make.

My primary intention is to use it for the SACD player, but after trying it out on both the SACD player and the preamp, I'll see which component best benefits overall. One thing for sure - I intend to buy at least another one, but not likely two more.

My Parasound tuner also could benefit, but as I listen to FM about once every 10 months, it's hardly a priority.

So, I'll post again when (and if!) the cable arrrives!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    If any one has a phono stage that will allow the upgrade I think you would be totally amazed at what happens.
    Since it is all about dropping the noise level, I've found that better cables work on turntables, too. This I discovered years ago when I replaced the lamp quality cord on an Ariston turntable with a shielded cord and Leviton plug. I also use the same JPS Labs power cord with the GamuT CD-1 and VPI Scout.

rw

Suspended
    Unfortunately, Rega doesn't allow for easy upgrades, not even the RCA's.

Aging Smartass
    The AC-14SE arrived yesterday, and I am absolutely delighted with its performance. First, I played the final movement of Osmo Vanska's performance Bruckner's 4th on a BIS SACD and listened carefully. Then, I switched the power cable to the Pangea AC-14SE, and played the same thing again. Wow! It was as if I liffed yet another thick veil from my system, yielding greater detail, better orchestral sectional delineation, improved stereo image, better dynamics, and again, clearer, tighter, deeper and more bass. And all of this from a power cord that costs only $55! I've spent a lot more on other tweaks with lesser results.

Frankly, I can't imagine how Pangea can sell these power cords for so little. Their massive construction belies their costs, and it's hard to imagine that other power cords from high-end manufacturers (costing thousands of dollars) could yield better results. Actually, I suspect they do, but to get such dramatic improvements for so little, it's hard to justify spending that much when these Pangea cords work so well.

Forum Regular

Great, hope I also get the same results...

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    The AC-14SE arrived yesterday, and I am absolutely delighted with its performance. First, I played the final movement of Osmo Vanska's performance Bruckner's 4th on a BIS SACD and listened carefully. Then, I switched the power cable to the Pangea AC-14SE, and played the same thing again. Wow! It was as if I liffed yet another thick veil from my system, yielding greater detail, better orchestral sectional delineation, improved stereo image, better dynamics, and again, clearer, tighter, deeper and more bass. And all of this from a power cord that costs only $55! I've spent a lot more on other tweaks with lesser results.

Frankly, I can't imagine how Pangea can sell these power cords for so little. Their massive construction belies their costs, and it's hard to imagine that other power cords from high-end manufacturers (costing thousands of dollars) could yield better results. Actually, I suspect they do, but to get such dramatic improvements for so little, it's hard to justify spending that much when these Pangea cords work so well.
    My order of AC14SE also arrived yesterday but I have the Belles Soloist in the shop and other gear on an audio audition so I have no opportunity at the moment to test out the new Pangea power cords.

I'm delighted to hear that the PC's are working out great for you.

Forum Regular
    Well, I was able to put 2 of the three AC14's to use a couple of nights ago. I connected one PC to the XRAY power supply and the other PC to a Wyred For Sound DAC.
    Basically, ditto the comments already posted by emaidel

Even though my friend and I were breaking in a new Belles Integrated amp...simply swapping out the stock power cord from the WFS DAC to the AC14... were were able to quickly determine the AC14 is much like the AC9-- quieter background, more bass, more extension in the highs, better separation.

These Pangea products are great products and not just because they are so affordable--they deliver the promise as advertised.

LeRoy

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy
    ........... were were able to quickly determine the AC14 is much like the AC9-- quieter background, more bass, more extension in the highs, better separation.

These Pangea products are great products and not just because they are so affordable--they deliver the promise as advertised.

LeRoy
    I agree fully, tho I admit I was very suspect of what a PC could accomplish.

If anyone is thinking of trying a after market cord, it doesn't get much more affordable than these.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Aging Smartass
    Initially, I had stated that I had three choices on which to connect the AC-14SE: the SACD player, preamp or phono "stage/preamp." I connected it to the SACD player, and I'm thoroughly satisfied with the results.

I then put the original power cord back onto the SACD player, and put the AC-14SE on my preamp. While it sounded very good, the overall sound - at least while listening to SACD's - was better with it connected to the SACD player, and so I put it back there. I also connected it to my Parasound PPH-100 phono preamp, and noticed a decided improvement in sound, but as my primary listening source is SACD, or CD's, it went back onto the SACD player again. The differences when connected to the phono preamp were similar, but not as extensive, as when the cord was connected to the SACD player.

I've ordered another to use for my preamp, which is actually a birthday present from my wife, and it should arrived on or around my birthday (January 19th). I look forward to using two of these on two key components of my system, and reporting back to all what I hear. Eventually, I'll probably order yet another one for the phono preamp, but that's not a priority at this time.

I've made many improvements to my system with various tweaks of all different sorts, but none have made the amount of difference - for the price - as have these Pangea power cords. They're an absolute steal!

Forum Regular
    Update on the effect of Pangea on my system. It now appears that too many Pangea PC's had too much of a flat effect on my system. I had connected the AC-9 connected to the Belles Amp, and a AC14-SE connected to the Belles Pre-Amp, Stello Dac, and Stello transport. The effect was one of muted highs, lack of decay, recessed mids and highs, and simply sounded disengaging overall.

I then swapped out the AC14SE that was on the pre-amp with a Wire World Aurora 5 and what a difference that made. The snap was back in the snares, highs and mids were now clear and pushed out further into the room and soundstage got wider. The Pangea still provided the bass and quite background that the WW does not provide but together they make the music presentation more complete.

To confirm the above, I reconnected the Pangea to the pre-amp and swapped out the AC14SE on the Stello Transport with the WW Aurora 5 and I got the same excellent result. So, that's the way I am going to leave it.

I do have 4 of the WW Aurora 5's and had been using them all before I got the Pangea. Now in practice, using all of one or all of the other does not get the musical presentation to my liking but finding a blend of both power cords did seem to do the trick for me.

Anyone else mix and match power cords with great results?

LeRoy

Suspended
    That's an interesting phenomenon, LeRoy. I've never tried mixing cords. I should preface, Intentionally, I did use a MIT on my Linn amp where the rest are Transparent. The MIT did a great job on the Linn. Even if I did switch the MIT out, it would be hard to tell what to attribute any difference to, the new cord itself or some overall effect.

So you are saying no matter what the WW is hooked into it improves the system opposed to all 9's? One on one do you find the 9 better than the WW?

Forum Regular

Hello Mr. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    That's an interesting phenomenon, LeRoy. I've never tried mixing cords. I should preface, Intentionally, I did use a MIT on my Linn amp where the rest are Transparent. The MIT did a great job on the Linn. Even if I did switch the MIT out, it would be hard to tell what to attribute any difference to, the new cord itself or some overall effect.

So you are saying no matter what the WW is hooked into it improves the system opposed to all 9's? One on one do you find the 9 better than the WW?
    Probably the MIT and Transparent were closer in their attributes so harder to tell. Not so with with the Pangea and WW. The Pangea are definitely warm, dark background, and take an edge off the highs a little bit. Putting 4 of the Pangea in my system was overkill and I guess there's a limit to how much copper my system can take in the stream.

However, the WW Aurora 5's are SilverClad copper, and it only took one in the system to resurrect it from the dead/flatness. The WW do not have the dark background nor do they bring the bass that the Pangea allows for but the WW allow for a more sparkled top end and both the WW and Pangea are excellent in the mids.

So, I prefer the Pangea AC-9 over the WW and I think I probably could live happily with the AC9 for the amp alone and the WW for everything else. So, yes, the WW does improve upon the Pangea and the WW does make the overall system sound better.

Want me to ship you the set for your own in house demo?

LeRoy

Suspended
    I appreciate the offer but it's difficult getting to my outlets and cords so I'd probably just procrastinate playing with it.

Forum Regular
    Okay

Suspended
    Do the new power cable provide as much improvement as the cryogenic-treated tuning fuses which were all the rage a few months ago? Which provides the most "bang for the buck"?

Forum Regular

Hello bfalls

Quote Originally Posted by bfalls
    Do the new power cable provide as much improvement as the cryogenic-treated tuning fuses which were all the rage a few months ago? Which provides the most "bang for the buck"?
    I've never heard of tuning fuses. Have you got a link for that product?

Probably the MIT and Transparent were closer in their attributes so harder to tell. Not so with with the Pangea and WW. The Pangea are definitely warm, dark background, and take an edge off the highs a little bit. Putting 4 of the Pangea in my system was overkill and I guess there's a limit to how much copper my system can take in the stream.

However, the WW Aurora 5's are SilverClad copper, and it only took one in the system to resurrect it from the dead/flatness. The WW do not have the dark background nor do they bring the bass that the Pangea allows for but the WW allow for a more sparkled top end and both the WW and Pangea are excellent in the mids.

So, I prefer the Pangea AC-9 over the WW and I think I probably could live happily with the AC9 for the amp alone and the WW for everything else. So, yes, the WW does improve upon the Pangea and the WW does make the overall system sound better.

Want me to ship you the set for your own in house demo?

LeRoy
    Is that offer open to anyone else?

Forum Regular

Hello AA

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Is that offer open to anyone else?
    Sure AA, if you're interested in giving them a try just send me a private email with your contact info and the best time to reach you by phone. I work Sunday's so I won't be able to contact you till Monday.

LeRoy
    Last edited by LeRoy; 03-19-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Sure AA, if you're interested in giving them a try just send me a private email with your contact info and the best time to reach you by phone. I work Sunday's so I won't be able to contact you till Monday.

LeRoy
    Perhaps Adam will do a formal review for the site. I'd be interested. I'm wondering whether similar benefits to those described could be achieved with a tube amp. I'm planning to give at least the AC-9 a try over the summer when things slow down a bit at work. I also have an older gen PS Audio cable for my cdp so I may compare an AC14 as well.

From the descriptions at audioadvisor's website it appears that the AC14 and 14SE are recommended for a phono preamp. Are you guys saying you're using the AC9
    with your phono stage?

LeRoy
    Will do - Thanks,
    -adam

You know what is funny - I actually emailed these guys a long time ago about doing a review. So I guess this is a round about way of doing it - since they never emailed back...

BTW - isn't the cable named AC-9 - not PC-9? Can I change the thread name to reflect that so we get the Google searches better?

Forum Regular

Hello dean_martin

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Are you guys saying you're using the AC9
    with your phono stage?
    Nope, I am using the AC9 only on the Belles Soloist 5 amp.

Forum Regular

Hello AA

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    You know what is funny - I actually emailed these guys a long time ago about doing a review. So I guess this is a round about way of doing it - since they never emailed back...

BTW - isn't the cable named AC-9 - not PC-9? Can I change the thread name to reflect that so we get the Google searches better?
    Well, you'll get to do your review after all. Yes, the big Pangea is the AC-9 but when emaidel started the thread he used PC-9 instead. I think changing the thread name to reflect the correct product name would be wise.

TTYL

LeRoy

Suspended
    I've never heard of tuning fuses. Have you got a link for that product?

emaidel was right about the Hi-Fi Tuning fuses

Forum Regular

Hello bfalls

Thanks for the link to the tuning fuses thread. I've never heard any system that has been tweaked with tuning fuses so there is no way I can compare a tuning fused system against the power cords I am currently using.

If I recall correctly, emaidel, has such a system. Maybe he will be kind enough to elaborate on the differences.

LeRoy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information