Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: optical cable

cam

optical cable

Can I make an actual difference in my system by upgrading this cable. If so what do you recommend with still being reasonally priced. Currently I am using an entry level monster cable, can't remember the model number but it was about $35 dollars CAN. and the next one up I think was about $80. My current cable is 3 years old and 6 feet long.

Forum Regular
    not really a whole lot, my personal experience is that you should stick with mid ranged price cables. there better then the lowest and just as good as the high end ones.

in my first home theatre set up i bought a $199 4 foot canadian dollar one. it was a high end monster. i just recently built a surround set in my room, and i used a 39 dollar monster and it sounds just as good IMO.

but usually say there is a 30 dollar, a 60 dollar, and a 100, get the 60 and you wont go wrong.

try to keep the length of the cable as short as you can, thats the way to increase the performance.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cam
    Can I make an actual difference in my system by upgrading this cable. If so what do you recommend with still being reasonally priced. Currently I am using an entry level monster cable, can't remember the model number but it was about $35 dollars CAN. and the next one up I think was about $80. My current cable is 3 years old and 6 feet long.
    Well, it is well broken in Just a joke.

No, you will not benefit by any more expensive optical cable. Stick with what you have.
    mtrycrafts

DMK
    Forum Regular

There is one area where cables make a difference

At least, to me. I prefer coaxial digital cables as opposed to optical. No, it has nothing to do with sound but the connectors are more stable. I, being composed of 10 thumbs, managed to break an optical cable whereas even I couldn't do so with a coax. I don't know if you can use coax or not with your component but if you can and have 10 thumbs, follow my lead.

cam
    Well I have not broken my optical cable yet but I will keep that in mind about the coaxial digital. Are you guys sure that if I went from a 6 foot to a 3 foot and beefier optical I won't notice even a noticable improvement. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Forum Regular
    well if you went from a 6 foot to a 3 foot, then yes.... you might.

if i were you i would go out and buy a new one just for the fact that technology has changed over 3 years. i bet the new standards on optical are better then they were. so i would go for it. "also i have tried both optical and coax, and to me they sound completely the same" so it is up to you what one you get. if you have 2 optical ins and 1 coax in then it would be smart to go with a optical keeping 1 free of each, for future upgrades. but if you have 2 coax and 1 optical then go with the coax. you probably have more digital ins but you get my point.

go out and pick up a nice mid "ish" price cable

Quote Originally Posted by uncooked
    well if you went from a 6 foot to a 3 foot, then yes.... you might.

if i were you i would go out and buy a new one just for the fact that technology has changed over 3 years. i bet the new standards on optical are better then they were. so i would go for it. "also i have tried both optical and coax, and to me they sound completely the same" so it is up to you what one you get. if you have 2 optical ins and 1 coax in then it would be smart to go with a optical keeping 1 free of each, for future upgrades. but if you have 2 coax and 1 optical then go with the coax. you probably have more digital ins but you get my point.

go out and pick up a nice mid "ish" price cable
    If you don't know, then don't speculate. You are recommending to this guy that he spend money based on what?
    "You two are a regular ol' Three Musketeers."

Forum Regular
    i explained why i thought it might be smart to get a new one......... its just my suggestion he doesnt have to do it if he doesnt want to.

Forum Regular
    No, you didn't force him to buy new, you just planted a seed.
    From your previous post:

if i were you i would go out and buy a new one just for the fact that technology has changed over 3 years. i bet the new standards on optical are better then they were..
    In home optical cables? How do you know this? Any references for this or just guessing that it must be so after 3 years.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    yes i have looked it up before. they have better connectors and keep the signal as pure as possible. less loss per foot now compared to back then.

do a search on google for fibre optic advancments

Why bother?

Coax works just as well as toslink, doesn't have connector problems, is cheaper and more flexible.

So, tell me again how, given a choice, toslink warrants consideration?

AFICT, toslink is the answer to a question that never needed to be asked.

Forum Regular
    the only difference i can see in the two. is that coax cable is usually 1/4 inch thicker then a fibre optic. i dont think that changes anyones mind though. but if you have a tight space it might play a little role. or if your amp is pushed up tight to a wall. you get more room with optics because they dont need to stick out as far.

heres a quick question, what do you think would last longer a fibre optic cable or a coax cable?

Forum Regular
    yes i have looked it up before. they have better connectors and keep the signal as pure as possible. less loss per foot now compared to back then.

do a search on google for fibre optic advancments

IT doesn't matter in digital!! And, especially the distances you are concerned about. This isn't a cross country fiber optic usage.
    If you hear the audio with no clicks or mutes, the signal is just fine. There is no fractional degradation issues here. It works, or it doesn't. No inbetween. Simple.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    the only difference i can see in the two. is that coax cable is usually 1/4 inch thicker then a fibre optic. i dont think that changes anyones mind though. but if you have a tight space it might play a little role. or if your amp is pushed up tight to a wall. you get more room with optics because they dont need to stick out as far.

heres a quick question, what do you think would last longer a fibre optic cable or a coax cable?

If an 1/8" matters to you, or is a significant distance, you have other problems, not cable thickness issues. Besides, you will also have ventillation problems as well, a greater concern than cable thickness.
    mtrycrafts

Thicker? Grasping at straws here, aren't we? Ever look at some of those botique interconnects? Do so and then get back to me about thinness being important.

And, as far as that wall clearance goes, don't you know that you can't bend coax into that tight a turn? It needs quite a wide turning radiis or it will snap. IOW, no 90% bends unlike coax which has no problems with bending.

As far as lasting longer, well, unless you kerfutz around with that fragile optical stuff and break it (it IS fragile y'know) it will probably last as long as coaxial, assuming the plastic doesn't discolor over time. I can't recall a coax ever wearing out as to need replacment and I have some that are probably older than you.

And connectors needing to be upgraded? RCA's have been around for about 80 years and are pretty well prefected and don't really need enhancments in their initial simple design.

cam
    Thanks for everyone's input. I am going to stick with my 6 foot entry level monster optical cable until it breaks or I have 100 bucks that I just don't know what to do with it. Thanks again.

Forum Regular
    or I have 100 bucks that I just don't know what to do with it. Thanks again.
    If you are still young, just think how much that will compound to retirement
    mtrycrafts

Thanks for everyone's input. I am going to stick with my 6 foot entry level monster optical cable until it breaks or I have 100 bucks that I just don't know what to do with it. Thanks again.
    If you are really keen on getting better sound out of your system, then I suggest you find out everything you can about speaker placement and room acoustics. Look at your room. Where is the furniture? Carpet or hardwood? Curtains on windows? Doors or other openings? Room dimensions? What's on the walls? Where do you sit to listen?

All of these things are not ideal in anybody's room so there is always an area to improve the sound of your system, if you are willing to put in the time.

There is a lot you can do for free.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Quote Originally Posted by mtrycraft
    If you are still young, just think how much that will compound to retirement
    Right, and then when he is old he can get really expensive cables.

Forum Regular

Cool Coax vs. optical

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Mike
    Right, and then when he is old he can get really expensive cables.

I was told that cox is a better choice because you can system match better to achieve the sound you want by switching cables. While I have not ever switched mine, I am not sure how much a change would make. Moreover, in some product lines, coax is cheaper. I use audioquest and the coax was cheaper than the optical. My 2 cents.

But, yeah- I would agree with the fellow that said to run as short of cable as possible. Just common signal loss when talking about lengths. I run .5m on my amp to preamp and try to do the same with my cd player and dvd player. Shorter the better. Plus, it saves you money!!!! I would rather get a better cable then to get a lesser quality, but longer. I have toyed with various cables and found that you can make a big difference, but unless your system warrants it, do not spend too much money. SPend according to your gear. If you have an entire Krell setup- you probably would notice a difference with the most expensive cables. For me, the middle of the road is about where I fall.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie_the_dude
    I was told that cox is a better choice because you can system match better to achieve the sound you want by switching cables...

...SPend according to your gear. If you have an entire Krell setup- you probably would notice a difference with the most expensive cables. For me, the middle of the road is about where I fall.
    So, you're saying that coaxial and digital cables sound different passing a digital stream?

I was told that cox is a better choice because you can system match better to achieve the sound you want by switching cables.
    This is exactly how rumours and urbans legends spread. Can you imagine what society would be like if, for example, news reporters simply reported what they were told?

And the worst part is, people to believe something if they like what they are being told and disbelieve if they don't like it. I call this "The mother of the murdurer syndrome."

No actually the worst part is believing something you are told when you are told it by a person who has vested interest in you believing it to be true, even if that vested interest is hidden.

For example, you might not want to believe a word I have said if you found out I was fired by Nordost and had a chip on my shoulder and was telling people that all cables sound the same for revenge against Nordost and other cable companies. The main thing is to objectively assess the situation before concluding anything and passing it on to others or at least state your reservations. A man without any reservations is man to avoid.

Forum Regular

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Mike
    This is exactly how rumours and urbans legends spread. Can you imagine what society would be like if, for example, news reporters simply reported what they were told?
    Well- problems occur when people skew what they are told. I posted exactly what a sales guy told me. Never said it was fact. So, take it or leave it. Further, I stated that I did not switch my cables to test his theory and see if I necessarily can support it. So, I do not think I am spreading untruths- just spreading what was told to me. Be smart and test the theory yourself. WHat I do know, is cables matter in the rest of my sytem and I notice changes.

Well- problems occur when people skew what they are told. I posted exactly what a sales guy told me. Never said it was fact.
    By posting it here in the manner you did implies an endorsement of it as a truth. Many salesmen swear by Bose as the end all and be all of audio. Does that make it true? You wanna tout that on any speaker forum? ... or your "truths" selective and based on what you want to believe?

So, I do not think I am spreading untruths- just spreading what was told to me.
    Isn't that another way of saying one is spreading gossip?

So, by spreading unverified gossip is not spreading untruths? Lots of reputations are unjustly ruined this way every day.

Some are justly ruined as well. When rumors are found out to be either based on unfounded speculation, unverified rumors or even blatent lies, the reputation of the one spreading it is questioned forever more.
    Last edited by markw; 03-04-2004 at 06:17 AM.

Forum Regular

Thumbs up

Tell you what- one of two things is happening, either you are trying to attack the wrong person (I will be glad to give the shops phone number to you and take it up with them).

Or- you should live by your motto- I think this is one of the times you got it wrong. You obviously do not see that I was making conversation- this is a discussion board. You are not the teacher and everyone else is students. Therefore, not all has to necessarily be fact when spoken. If that was the case- everyone should stamp their credentials when leaving posts to build up their credibility. But, what do I know- I am just guy with 2 credits left towards a masters degree. Maybe I need to refine my communication skills........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information