Forum Regular

are monster cables any good

hi i was wondering if monster cables are any good and how much power until they get hot.

thanks jeff

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffBrecklin
    hi i was wondering if monster cables are any good and how much power until they get hot. thanks jeff

Yes, Monster cables are good; however, they are expensive for no good reason but to make more money.
    What gauge of wire are you inquiring about? 14ga, depending on insulation, is rated for 15A continuous and not even feel it. You need a lot of amps before they get hot. Your speakers will melt first
    mtrycrafts

I think Monster is a good as any other brand making cables of the same type. I do not consider it to be a good buy but I have some that is from the early days of Monster and think it does a fine job of getting the signal to the subwoofers.
    If you are worried about your cables getting hot, then I doubt the quality of the cables or the way that they might help or hinder the acoustics is something you should even bother with.
    Go to Wallmart and buy some heavy duty copper jumper cables and cut the big clamps off the ends. Use a propane torch to solder the ends so that they won't oxidize.
    David Thatcher

Hi Thatch...do you have any favorite connectors that you use?

Some of the connectors I've bought or used have been down right cheap (quality)...but trying to decipher someone's description of a connector can leave several questions about construction that are unanswered. Also...I just don't want to pay big bucks for a connector either.

Do you have any recommendations for a good quality connector that's dirt cheap?

take care>>>>>

enjoy the music!

JSE
    Just to add to what others have said, Monster makes good cables but they are way over priced. They are benefiting from their superior marketing skills.

JSE

Hi GF!
    Actually I do buy some tinned copper spades that go for about $7/500 at one of the electronic closeout places. I haven't looked for them in larger sizes, pull the plastic sheath off the base and though they are crimp on do solder them to the cables and use them on vintage gear with screw down BPs.
    I think Grumpy bought some large ones from Cardas that could be used with larger cables and gear with large BPs.
    Actually I think a pair of jumpers would make great cables and I would probably tin the ends while at the same time soldering some heavy copper wire onto the ends that will fit on the holes of 5 way BPs and clamp down on them so I could avoid banana plugs. If you have to use bananas it would probably be better to get the real cheapies that have to be soldered on the the ends of the cables and at least get the best connection as possible and save money over the cheap clamp down dual plugs like you get at RS.
    When I made new cables and was able to get rid of the RS banana plugs I had been using for their quick release ability and went to being able to clamp down in the amps copper 5 ways I did notice an improvement in sound. I think it was due more to losing the large pieces of brass than to the new cables.
    Not so cheap but I do love the quality is Vampire and Cardas. Having a friend with the best prices going on the Vampire line is helpful. He still charges me the same as everyone else but I pay cash and don't have to pay for shipping.
    David Thatcher

Cool thatch...thanks.

I've been playing with a few things here and there...but once I get things stable and the way i want it...I'm going to just go without the connectors on one side of my interconnects. They'll be hard-wired right where they should be...inside!

I know...I know...but then I won't be able to try different interconnects in my system. You know what? Good!

(thatch)
    I've been playing around with a few crossover parts/points...and guess what? I think I'm about done. I keep going back to what Bruce had recommended at first. I also tried an active and pllxo's...but neither performed as well. Next will be an experiment with *gasp* an SS amp I've tried a few in my system...and the little gainclone is intriguing. But it won't be replacing my tube amps. However...I'm hoping the next SS amp kit does. (do you know any transformer manufacturers well? Not sure exactly what I'll end up with...but I may be looking for a Double C-Core)
    oh...my brother and I are going to be starting another set of speakers...this time using Altec drivers. should be a fun summer!
    Stay cool>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(/endthatch)

enjoy the music!

Forum Regular

41 amps

hi i was wondering if monster cables are any good and how much power until they get hot. thanks jeff
    Please see:
    http://www.epanorama.net/documents/w...esistance.html

12 AWG copper can handle 41 Amps in free air. That is with 41 amps going through them they will not overheat as long as air can pass over them(although the insulation might melt).

12 AWG lamp cord will work just as good as 12 AWG monster cable.
    Extreme case:
    P=i^2*R
    if R=4ohms
    P=1000Watts
    i=15.8 amps, for 12 AWG copper can handle 41 amps.

So even if you were driving 1000 Watts continuously to a 4 ohm speaker, the cable isn't going to melt.

More realistic case:
    R=8ohms
    Pavg=20 Watts
    i=1.6 amps

For practicle use (if your not setting up speakers for a Dead concert), 12 AWG(lamp cord/monster cable) will be more than adequate.

Forum Regular
    Does it affect the sound when you use the monster cables or the normal sized ones??

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Lover
    Does it affect the sound when you use the monster cables or the normal sized ones??

First, there is no normal size speaker wire. You can get any size you want. General rule is the longer the run, the larger the wire and this only comes into play with really long runs. 12 ga. is about as big as you would want to go. 14 ga, 16ga, 18ga will all work fine and you will hear no difference in sound.

JSE

Forum Regular

Sure, why not?

I've always been a little unsure of the importance of cables myself, but decided why not and purchased a few sets of the Ultra 1000 THX speaker cables for bi-amping and found them to be noticably cleaner and provide more power to the speakers (i.e. I can't turn up the receiver as loud as I used to without being uncomfortable). I got the same series subwoofer cable and lost the faint hum I used to hear in my subwoofer. As they compare to anything else, I don't know, but the composition seemed similar to the Better Cables stuff and I walked in Circuit City and bought it without waiting on an order.

Forum Regular

How do you know what you are buying?

Thanks to Monster's marketing it is next to impossible to compare apples to apples. Marketing is happy to tell you about Magnetic Flux Tube® construction and special cable windings, and Special LPE insulation in their XP line and the additional Time Correct® windings for their XPHP line. Once you get past the fluff, they leave out 2 critical pieces of information - wire guage and UL/CL2 listed. Is that too much to ask?

What guage is the XP/XPHP? Are we working with the same guage wire if comparing 12 ga Carol or Sound King (or even 14 ga RCA or Philips/Magnavox bulk). The XP appears thin when physically compared against 12 guage. Also, all the other brands are UL/CL2 listed for in the wall application, but bulk reels and per/foot reels of the Monster product failt to indicate the rating. I did note on their web site where they do have a UL/CL2 version of their xp/xphp line - but that is not wht is in the stores. Why the dual manufacturing?

Forum Regular

jumper cables? ....really?

I'm intrigued by this suggestion that jumper cables making good audio cables. isn't there some point on the graph where signal purity and wire gauge meet and no improvement could be had beyond that? I can't imagine anything heavier than lamp cord making any difference, but I'm just guessing. I do think solid versus stranded is a real issue. Check out short lengths of solid core wire before ruling it out, I gave it a try and liked the results. I can't afford to go all solid core just yet though.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Monster's interconnects/speakercables

I've tried some monster speaker cable and found it to be satisfactory, but nothing special for the price you pay for it. I am using a monster digital interconnect however, and that's actually quite good. I've tried some others but found the monster to be better. Bit more expensive, but well worth the difference...
    I agree with the others their speakercable is not that hot actually...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by aurobot
    . I can't afford to go all solid core just yet though.
    Why does it have to cost much? Buy house wire at Home Depot.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    I have 12awg from HD and works great better I find thanthe monster sp the dealer gave me for free and if you have to buy it HD is dirt cheap !!
    The Furry White Poochundefined

Cool To Monster or Not?

When I purchase cable, I consider construction, convenience, cost, and (gulp! dare I say) appearance. Brand name really isn't a factor, though some folks swear by a specific manufacturer, and I'm happy if they're happy. Matters not to me.

Well of course, I'm looking at quality wire, oxygen-free copper, 12 ga. properly insulated and terminated.

In my old house, I ran solid 12ga copper, which worked fine but was a royal pain to work with and it looked butt ugly when it had to be visible. Since the houe was built in 1850, I found it easy to pull the wires through the walls and ceilings, but it was so frickin' stiff that making turns was tough. I put covers on the exposed cable. It was a super pain to make an attractive connection at the amp and speaker. The stiff wire was difficult to "train" too. It kept wanting to go where it wanted to go.

Now I mostly use braided wire from a local electronics store, not BB, CC, GG, etc., but from an honest to goodness electronics store. It's about 49 cents a foot in 100 ft. spools, it's oxygen-free, 12ga, and I have to terminate it myself with gold plated spades I buy at the same place. It has a clear, thick insulation with polarity clearly marked, and it's very, very supple--not stiff at all. It remains supple over time, and the copper doesn't oxidize or discolor.

I started using this when I dumped the speaker wire I was getting from Home Depot. That 12ga HD wire looks okay when new, but it's a bit stiff, and over time it gets stiffer. It also changes color, from clean to oxidized copper, and it gets quite ugly. Either there's a lot of oxygen in it, or the insulation is not very effective.

I do have a few Monster interconnects that I bought used from the Good Guys. They're a mishmash of different cables, but they work fine and the connectors themselves are very, very good. I believe they're significantly better that the cheap, thin interconnects that came with some of my gear, but they're not much better performance wise than some of the AR, RS, and GE cables that I purchased new for less money.

Forum Regular
    and (gulp! dare I say) appearance.

No nee to gulp
    If appearance is imprtant, that is an importan factor to you for purchasing one cable over another. Legitimate preference issue.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    Hi Jeff,
    Yes Monster cable is good but, as some of the other guys have pointed out, it usually costs more than generic wire available at stores like Radio Shack, Lowes, Home Depot or even Wal Mart. As long as you have good, pure copper wire in 16, 14, or 12 gauge thickness you should be fine and you are very unlikely to experience overheating or other problems.

Don't waste your money with Monster Cable. I have spent money with them in the past, and still have some of their wires in service, but they honestly don't outperform anything else for the same money or less.

I recently purchased some trick looking RCA interconnects off ebay from a new company called Zu. I got their Disco interconnects. They actually cost less than what I should have paid for the Monster Cable's I had been using between my preamp and amp(I got the MC's for wholesale, because I worked for a audio company). The funny thing was they sounded "to my ears" better. I felt it was more midrange presence. Obviously the difference was small, but I kept switching back and forth and I was convinced this difference was there. I ended up keeping the Zu's between my amp and preamp, and moved the MC's downstairs between my DVD player and receiver(lower quality system).

I was happy for a few reasons. I bought someone new for my audio system! They cost less than a competitors equivalent product. They sounded better(or at least equal) to them. AND....they looked very cool!

Honestly all I can say is buy what you want. If it makes you happy, then you probably should get them. Just don't go crazy believing some wire is gonna totally change your system. I guess it might, but the only way to know is to buy and compare. If you believe that it does, and can justify the purchase. Have at it!

hi i was wondering if monster cables are any good and how much power until they get hot.

thanks jeff
    Monster is overpriced regular wire. They have that castle and all those sports cars to pay for so they can also pay for a free trip there for the top performing salesmen each year.

-Bruce

Forum Regular

Of course, Monster Cable is great. And I've got proof positive.

See: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AG158NOS41.DTL

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by pctower

What's next Bose Field? Would there be a gap in the stadium as well.

JSE

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by pctower

Says a little something about their profit margin, doesn't it.....

-Bruce

Thread Information