Hometheaterhifi's new AC cable test: Nordost Valhalla vs. generic power cord

The Hometheaterhifi website recently posted an AC cable comparison. Some generic AC cables were tested along with some Nordost Valhalla power cords. Unlike other product reviews, this one actually used a blind panel and DBT to test for any observable differences in sound quality. And the conclusion of this review was what one would expect -- nonconclusive!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-12-2004.html

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    The Hometheaterhifi website recently posted an AC cable comparison. Some generic AC cables were tested along with some Nordost Valhalla power cords. Unlike other product reviews, this one actually used a blind panel and DBT to test for any observable differences in sound quality. And the conclusion of this review was what one would expect -- nonconclusive!

LOL, excellent read. The one thing that would bias me against the findings would be the extended period of time between switches, but that was covered in the article. I've been able to do the ABX testing with ICs (switching time virtually instantaneous with the wife at the input controls) and I personally found no difference between well made cables. I find it difficult to understand why many audiophiles are unwilling to subject themselves to a very easy test such as this. I can see speaker wire and power cords being a lot more difficult to test, but if IC testing is inconclusive, my logical conclusion is that the differences between the other wires in your system would be about the same.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Interesting read, but of all the pieces of the chain to pick, these guys wussed out and picked ac cable. I'd love to see Stereophile or someone do a monthly DBT on some real gear...CD players, amps, receivers, interconnects, etc.
    Then there'd be something in there worth the price of subscription.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Interesting read, but of all the pieces of the chain to pick, these guys wussed out and picked ac cable. I'd love to see Stereophile or someone do a monthly DBT on some real gear...CD players, amps, receivers, interconnects, etc.
    Then there'd be something in there worth the price of subscription.
    At the bottom of that article was the following link where they ABXed some of the above.
    http://www.pcavtech.com/abx/abx_data.htm

That's the ticket...

Whatever happened to mtrycraft anyway? He was always good for serving up some humble-pie...
    Did he go the way of Skeptic and crew when the new AR.com occupiers came into power?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    That's the ticket...

Whatever happened to mtrycraft anyway? He was always good for serving up some humble-pie...
    Did he go the way of Skeptic and crew when the new AR.com occupiers came into power?
    I am not a occupier, I am a liberator. And as soon as you hold elections, I am leaving your land!!!
    You can find Mtrycrafts on AA, along with Chris and probably Skeptic

I am not surprised by this at all. I sat for 4 hours with Ray Kimber listening to his cables, and I could hear no difference between his designs, and the reference cable that I was already using. Audiophiles will never believe this news, because it would erase the justification of purchasing cables that cost as much as my entire system. It would also bring their snobbery down a notch or two.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

AA....uuggghhhh...no thanks.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    AA....uuggghhhh...no thanks.
    Come on Kex, you know you wanna hang out with the audio drunks! lol You are seriously right though, uggggg........
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Nothing like bashing the competition...actually, as I recall they were all worried this place would turn into "AA light" - funny if that's where they headed.

Uh... guys.

I think Sir Terrance meant AH, for AudioHolics. I don't think Mtry would be too well received at AA, or AudioAsylum ...and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

This test was flawed from the beginning

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer

But not from lack of trying. The problem arises when you cycle the equipment many times. From my own experiance I've found that amplifiers need to be left on to sound their best. When you cycle them they don't sound nearly as good as when they are left on. When you loose this last 5% of performance it would be very hard to pick out any difference between things as subtle as power cords.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    But not from lack of trying. The problem arises when you cycle the equipment many times. From my own experiance I've found that amplifiers need to be left on to sound their best. When you cycle them they don't sound nearly as good as when they are left on. When you loose this last 5% of performance it would be very hard to pick out any difference between things as subtle as power cords.
    Sorry sir, but with all due respect - in my experience of more than 60 years of involvement with audio and with video, I've found out that just about all audiophiles and videophiles operate under a set of ABEs that lead them inexorably down a whole bunch of primrose paths and right off the edge of the cliff into a very deep abyss. An abyss that involves the expenditure of vast sums of money that produce absolutely nothing of any real value whatsoever! The purchase of aftermarket power cords is at the very pinnacle of that list, since anyone who actually knows anything at all about electronic product design knows that a power cord - in and of itself - cannot have any meaningful effect on the performance of device or component in question. Provided of course that the power supply of said product is properly designed (as most are) and is not a "bare-bones" - "how cheap can we make it" design.

As to the 5% improvement in performance after a given period of run-in time ... that is but another far-fetched audiophile myth - just as far-fetched as the idea that a power cord (if it's even marginally expensive) can provide a genuine performance improvement, to which I say ... "bah, humbug, notsofast, and fuggitaboudit". I also have a problem with your somewhat contradictory statements regarding turning the amplifier on and off (to change power cords) will result in the amp sounding - "not nearly as good" as it will when left on for an extended period and that last 5% performance gain is realized. Seems like you're saying that 95% performance is not nearly as good as the 100% performance - when that last 5% kicks in! Not quite as good ... maybe. But not nearly as good? That's quite a stretch, IMO.

I expect that you'll respond to these statements of mine by saying that you've most definitely heard this phenomenon "with your own ears". Well, contrary to popular belief - I wouldn't for the world contradict that. Of course you have heard it. However, what you evidently have not learned yet in your young life, is that it is YOU that creates the sensory experiences for yourself ... quite subconsciously, of course. All of our sensory perceptions are under the direct supervision and control of our personal ABEs (our Attitudes, Beliefs, and therefore Expectations). The sensory experiences are no less REAL by any means ... it's just that everyone will benefit (greatly IMO) when they come to understand one of the basic "facts of life" ... that it is US that are ultimately in control of our reality. In truth, we create it!
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    The purchase of aftermarket power cords is at the very pinnacle of that list, since anyone who actually knows anything at all about electronic product design knows that a power cord - in and of itself - cannot have any meaningful effect on the performance of device or component in question.
    Just curious, what is your frame of reference for musical reproduction?

rw

Thread Information