Thread: Hi Guys

Forum Regular

Hi Guys

It certainly is a relief to find that absolutely nothing has changed here notwithstanding the recent regime change. The ability of the members of this forum to persevere for year after year, pepetuating the same exact argument using the same exact points and counterpoints without permitting even a hint of any change, variation, or new thought (I'm not sure what a new thought would actually look like when it comes to cables) to even get close to this board is clearly one of the great wonders of the modern world.

I was prompted to stop by this evening by a trip I made to BB and CC earlier today (I'm desperately trying to find anything I can do to forget the nightmare that is the current Suns-Spurs series). I'm between homes (old one sold - new one being built), so I'm living with a bunch of mass-market sound and video crap that most of you think is so wonderful.

In any event, my very special, very expensive cables are in storage for the next few months (along with my very special, very expensive two channel system - the ownership of which qualifies me as a true adiophile in comparison to most of you audiophile wanabees).

But I digress. Back to the story. So I assumed that going to the nearby CC or BB would allow me to buy a cheap, piece of c__p pair of cables for a few bucks. But alas, the Jon Risches of the world have even taken over the mass market and couldn't find anything for less than $30 or $40 dollars.

I really don't know what to do, because I refuse to pay that kind of money for the mundane electronics I'm saddled with for the next few months (you know - Sony receiver and junk like that). On the other hand, I refuse to sink so low as to go to Home Depot and risk running in to Pat or RobotCzar. Maybe I'll just have to give Jon a call and see if he's got any throw-aways just waiting for garbage pickup that he could toss my way.

Cheers

PS: Hey Jim - its great to see that you continue to stick around to ensure that sanity and a sense of humor doesn't completely vanish from our beloved AR cable forum.

Forum Regular
    [QUOTE=pctower]It certainly is a relief to find that absolutely nothing has changed here notwithstanding the recent regime change. The ability of the members of this forum to persevere for year after year, pepetuating the same exact argument using the same exact points and counterpoints without permitting even a hint of any change, variation, or new thought (I'm not sure what a new thought would actually look like when it comes to cables) to even get close to this board is clearly one of the great wonders of the modern world.QUOTE]

The great cable debate takes place mostly on the Audio Labs Forum rather than on the Cables Forum. The former is supposed to be for advanced audio geeks who want to share their lab results with others, but few seem to be doing any lab work they want to share, so this forum has turned to the cable debate. Yes, the arguments continue to be the same.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pctower
    It certainly is a relief to find that absolutely nothing has changed here notwithstanding the recent regime change. The ability of the members of this forum to persevere for year after year, pepetuating the same exact argument using the same exact points and counterpoints without permitting even a hint of any change, variation, or new thought (I'm not sure what a new thought would actually look like when it comes to cables) to even get close to this board is clearly one of the great wonders of the modern world.

Actually, we may be on the cusp of a new development. Jneutron is working on a new theory regarding cable sonics and what might cause them. Check out the Audio Lab forum and snoop around - sorry I don't have a link. Perhaps LCR parameters alone aren't the whole explanantion - duh!

Didn't some cheapo interconnects come with your cheapo gear? Lastly, feel free to stay. We could use a few more yeasayers.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Hey counselor...

... how hangst thine hammer?

First, try Wal-Mart(Philips) or Target(RCA or GE)...BB & CC have fallen victim to the Monster...can't beat that mark-up/profit margin...Maybe Lowes(if you have them in the land of dry heat) they also carry Philips I think...

Maybe you could put on the old trench-coat, fedora and sunglasses and quietly steal into HD...or perhaps slip some unsuspecting innocent a few bux to do the dirty deed for ya'...

And hey pal, you better watch that "audiophile wannabe" stuff...this is a kinder, gentler AR...where everything and everyone is of equal merit...where never is heard a discouraging word...where the blue ribbons are handed out by the basketful...just watch out where you step.

You could have gotten some decent Denon, HK, Marantz or Onkyo stereo-only electronics...the first three actually have a certain amount of growth potential; adding a power amp is not a problem...good for use in a remote location after you get your real toys back.

Anywho...without the regulars(yourself included BTW) the place...well it sorta' su...leaves a lot to be desired...some of the exspurts can't even get their BS straight...Skep paid us a brief visit recently...still all "sweetness-and-light" it seems...most everyone took a hike, I pretty much gave the place up for Lent and found, as you did, it could be 40 days or 40 years, it's still the SOS...

jimHJJ(... but without the fun...)

This place is no different than many others in that regard. You'll never convince me that I don't hear what I hear with my system. You'll never convince others that the measurements are incomplete. As for new, I made the mistake of asking my friend to leave his Kimber Palladians with me for a few days of listening.

But I digress. Back to the story. So I assumed that going to the nearby CC or BB would allow me to buy a cheap, piece of c__p pair of cables for a few bucks.
    You can find inexpensive cables almost anywhere these days. Next time you are at the drug store or grocery, take a look.

rw

Oh and don't forget that those cheapo cables....

require a burn-in period too. I personally like to burn-in for a minimum of three years but if your hardup your hard-up. Hehe, and you thought it was only electronics that needed burn-in Muhahahahahhaha.

Forum Regular
    Hi Phil..long time no hear. Hope all is well with you and your family.

My main squeeze and I are doing quite well..

Musicoverall is correct, I have started attacking the science of human sound localization...how we can tell where a sound is coming from..
    I have posted the gory details as they arrive, over on DIY, however.

The numbers I am getting are so small, that I will be re-checking my math...if the numbers stand up, I will be discussing the ramifications with some very high level researchers in human audibility, as these numbers will have to be verified by testing.

If my information is consistent and accurate, it will affect quite a few things...and that would be good.

Good luck with the house. I assume you will have dedicated outlets installed??? (duh)..

If so, ask me for some pointers as far as what the electrician should do...as well as others on the forums...nice place to get some information..

Cheers, John

Thread Information