AR Newbie Registered Member

Using RG4 Shielded Coax Cable instead of RCA for video signal (13 meters)

Hello

Is there a problem using RG6 Shielded Coax Cable to send a video signal from an RCA output (DVD/TV/VCR/PAY-TV) over 12 meters to a PC Capture card?

I am planning to run the Coax under the house and put propper Coax UHF plugs on each and then using a UHF to RCA male plug's to connect the two devices?

I am using cheapo stereo wire with rca plugs on it but was getting diagonal inteference lines in the image.

Can a RCA/Video signal be send over Shielded Coax cable?

Thanks in Advance
    Simon

My Webcam: http://simon.fearby.com/webcam/

Forum Regular
    I can't think of any reason why there would be a problem.

Thanks wiseburro.

I did not now if there was a signal compatibility problem with RGB video signals (12+ meters) over Shielded Coax.

I will give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTec
    Hello

Is there a problem using RG6 Shielded Coax Cable to send a video signal from an RCA output (DVD/TV/VCR/PAY-TV) over 12 meters to a PC Capture card?

I am planning to run the Coax under the house and put propper Coax UHF plugs on each and then using a UHF to RCA male plug's to connect the two devices?

I am using cheapo stereo wire with rca plugs on it but was getting diagonal inteference lines in the image.

Can a RCA/Video signal be send over Shielded Coax cable?

Thanks in Advance
    Simon

My Webcam: http://simon.fearby.com/webcam/
    My composite video cables have yellow RCA connectors and are labelled RG-59. This RG-59 is common coaxial cable and is the one commonly used with F-type connectors for cable TV signals. RG-6 is is the same type of cable but with higher (i.e. better)specifications than RG-59. It can carry higher frequency signals than RG-59 for longer distances due to lower capacitance and it also has better shielding.

So the answer to your question is a resounding yes. In fact, it is an excellent choice for a 12 meter run of composite video.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

I have made the change to RG6 and the video quality is amazing. I still have to clean up a coax/rca plug on one end but I am very impressed.

What type of coax would be good for sending audio signals (i think RG6 would be overkill?)

Forum Regular
    I have made the change to RG6 and the video quality is amazing. I still have to clean up a coax/rca plug on one end but I am very impressed.

What type of coax would be good for sending audio signals (i think RG6 would be overkill?)

Analog audio or digital? For digital, if it is over a long distance, you can use that RG6. Analog, use 12 ga from Home Depot, landscape wire or speaker wire are fine.
    mtrycrafts

For analog audio, I would just buy a basic red/white RCA set of cables from any electronic retailer and for digital audio I would use a basic yellow RCA video cable.

RG-6 would be good for extremely long distances but overkill for short runs.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Thread Information