Forum Regular

monster vs monster

Hi.
    Could you guys tell me which is better: Interlink Datalink 100 or Interlink Lightspeed 100.
    I know they are coaxial and optical and I can have a very good deal with them. Currently using a no-name video cable for digital audio connection.
    Thanks

I

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Digital coaxial has something like 5 or 10 times the bandwidth of Digital optical. However Optical has next to no chance of picking up interference from a RF or magnetic source, while Digital coaxial has...well, some chance if it were not properly shielded or next to a powerful RF transmitter. Now if you can hear any difference between the two is questionable. As we know some swear by one or the other or even analog RCA's, you really gotta decide for yourself if you like one better than the other.

By the way digital coaxial and video cables have near identical physical designs. The datalink 100 might have more shielding than the "no name" video cable you are currently using, but that's about it.

Forum Regular
    I have what naysayers would call overly expensive interconnects and speaker wire and they improve the quality of my system's sound, no question in my mind. However, except when a shielded digital cable was needed, I have yet to hear even the most subtle of differences between digital cables, be they optical or RCA. I do prefer the RCA cables because those toslink connectors seem a little flimsy to me. But I can't comment on any sound differences, should there be any. Admittedly, I've never tried XLR connections.

nightflier

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    I do prefer the RCA cables because those toslink connectors seem a little flimsy to me. But I can't comment on any sound differences, should there be any. Admittedly, I've never tried XLR connections.
    I think the physical quality of a cable is all too often ignored. I have killed several optical cables already, but have yet to damage an RCA cable (and I've been using these much longer. One should consider the construction and cable thickness carefully, 'cause if you like to tinker around back there, like I do, then you'll want solid cables.
    Last edited by nightflier; 12-02-2004 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typos

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    Digital coaxial has something like 5 or 10 times the bandwidth of Digital optical. However Optical has next to no chance of picking up interference from a RF or magnetic source, while Digital coaxial has...well, some chance if it were not properly shielded or next to a powerful RF transmitter. Now if you can hear any difference between the two is questionable. As we know some swear by one or the other or even analog RCA's, you really gotta decide for yourself if you like one better than the other.

By the way digital coaxial and video cables have near identical physical designs. The datalink 100 might have more shielding than the "no name" video cable you are currently using, but that's about it.
    For a 3 ft length of digital connection, is interference still of great concern? Because if not, then the Datalink 100 might be better since it has 5 to 10 times the bandwidth of Lightspeed 100. Otherwise, the reverse is true. That is , disregarding connection troubles.

One more thing.
    Whats the effect of a wider bandwidth(5 to 10 times) on the sound. Does it mean more information, more dynamics, or what?

Another thing.
    Whats the characteristic of a dedicated subwoofer cable as compared with regular(analog) audio cable. Can I use regular audio cable for a subwoofer without missing some information?
    What about using RG 6 cable for subwoofer.

Thanks

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dongrod
    For a 3 ft length of digital connection, is interference still of great concern? Because if not, then the Datalink 100 might be better since it has 5 to 10 times the bandwidth of Lightspeed 100. Otherwise, the reverse is true. That is , disregarding connection troubles.

One more thing.
    Whats the effect of a wider bandwidth(5 to 10 times) on the sound. Does it mean more information, more dynamics, or what?

Another thing.
    Whats the characteristic of a dedicated subwoofer cable as compared with regular(analog) audio cable. Can I use regular audio cable for a subwoofer without missing some information?
    What about using RG 6 cable for subwoofer.

Thanks
    Honestly it is unlikely you will hear much if any difference between the lightspeed and datalink cables.

In very general terms, yes, wider bandwidth means more information can be transmitted in x amount of time. However given your current application, the added bandwidth would not be of much benefit.

I have heard a dedicated subwoofer cable make a difference, mainly in volume. However I wouldn't know if this were due to build quality or if the original cable were in some way compromised.

Thread Information