Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    18

    Coxial, optical or component connection

    Which is best and in what order. Hooking up a DVD to TV
    S video, component, coaxial, optical and the other which I guess is call regular rca jacks
    thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,720
    Quote Originally Posted by rayh78
    Which is best and in what order. Hooking up a DVD to TV
    S video, component, coaxial, optical and the other which I guess is call regular rca jacks
    thanks

    S-Video or component, take your pick.
    Video cables are coax cables and is also used for digital audio; it uses RCA connectors. Optical is strictly for digital audio signals in home electronics.
    mtrycrafts

  3. #3
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    197
    typically speaking:
    component is better than s-video and coaxial is better than optical.
    However, if you are using a TV screen less than 32 inches you probably wont benefit from component over s-video. in this regard go with a better s-video (cheaper)
    And as far as coax vs. optical, if you are hooking your dvd directly to your tv you will not look into this option. go with analog rca. just get better than stock ones. if you are connecting your dvd to a receiver/amp then you need to consider coax or optical (depending what your dvd and receiver have as far as outputs will dictate here and depending on which you get cheaper). optical sends pulses of light as digital information, while coax, like mtrycraft says, is really a 75ohm video cable that is repackaged in a digitial audio box. it is a direct feed and if of good quality will generally provide better resolution than optical (and i think is cheaper in some instances). but, this is subjective as it really depends on what interconnects you buy. also, some dvd players only have optical outs as some receivers only have optical ins (this of course limiting your options to optical).
    hope this helps.

  4. #4
    Forum Regular Demetrio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    C.Grande, PB - Brazil
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by nusiclover
    typically speaking:
    (...) coaxial is better than optical
    Is your assertion really correct, and why?

    I ask you that because I have the option of using both the conections in my system (coaxial and optical) and was just wondering which one is better to connect my dvd player to my pre/pro.

    Demetrio.

  5. #5
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetrio
    Is your assertion really correct, and why?

    I ask you that because I have the option of using both the conections in my system (coaxial and optical) and was just wondering which one is better to connect my dvd player to my pre/pro.

    Demetrio.

    Don't forget, optical is only for the digital audio connection. You were asking about video signals, no? But, for digital audio, they are the same.
    mtrycrafts

  6. #6
    Forum Regular Demetrio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    C.Grande, PB - Brazil
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrycraft
    Don't forget, optical is only for the digital audio connection. You were asking about video signals, no? But, for digital audio, they are the same.
    Yes, my question now was about AUDIO connection indeed (that is, coaxial vs. optical connection from dvd player to my pre/pro).

  7. #7
    Forum Regular paul_pci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetrio
    Yes, my question now was about AUDIO connection indeed (that is, coaxial vs. optical connection from dvd player to my pre/pro).

    As I grudgingly agree with mtrycraft, the difference between coaxial and optical is more than likely going to be negligible. All I'd say is that, if you go with optical, make sure the cable has a well made termination, aka, not Monster optical cables.

  8. #8
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,720
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    As I grudgingly agree with mtrycraft, .

    Grudgingly? I cannot be right and agree on some things?
    mtrycrafts

  9. #9
    Forum Regular paul_pci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,246
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrycraft
    Grudgingly? I cannot be right and agree on some things?
    Agreed.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Onkyo DS575x no optical 2
    By apeiron59 in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 01:21 PM
  2. Advantage of running component video thru receiver?
    By booniewillow in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 08:25 AM
  3. Component Connection
    By Dean123 in forum Cables
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 09:55 PM
  4. Component Cables
    By joel2762 in forum Cables
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •