Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    etl
    etl is offline
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4

    can i convert stereo rca to Cal Audio DAC?

    Hi, I have a cd transport that has passed on and probably won't replace it as i've digitized all my music in lossless and it's easier to access. However it leaves me with a perfectly good Cal Audio Alpha DAC that created beautiful sound. Is there a sane way for me to convert stereo rca input into any of the DAC's: Coax 75; Balanced 110; Optic; and At&t digital inputs?

    I'd love to feed my Mac or my iphone to it if possible. Google hasn't helped. I'd love some learned feedback on this. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Forum Regular harley .guy07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Posts
    1,451
    there are converters that will take a usb output to a coax digital output that would work with your dac. Several companies make them and I have heard that they work well for your type of setup. To bad that your dac does not have usb input because then it would be very easy but there are converters out there that will work fine. Blue Circle makes a unit that will take a usb signal and convert it to coax for a dac. There are others as well but they do not come to mind right now but if they come to mind I will post.

    yamaha htr5560 receiver (HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Dynaudio audience 60 mains
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center



  3. #3
    etl
    etl is offline
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4
    harley .guy07,

    thanks for the feedback. i'll keep that as a plan B.

    primarily, i'd like to be able to convert a L/R stereo rca cable into those DAC feeds. because, i can get to L/R rca from Mini output [airport wireless and iphone] and wireless to the audio system isn't stable enough for me to rely on it for enjoyable playback. Hard wiring usb would be over 50 feet, which i don't think is advisable?.

  4. #4
    Retro Modernist 02audionoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,944
    It seems like a Creative SoundBlaster USB or E-Mu 0404 would convert USB to TOSLink and SPDIF.

    http://us.store.creative.com/0404-US...B000IXNE3E.htm

    http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-B...B0044DEDCA.htm

  5. #5
    Suspended markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Noo Joisey. Youse got a problem wit dat?
    Posts
    4,676

    Think about what you're asking.

    Quote Originally Posted by etl
    ...i'd like to be able to convert a L/R stereo rca cable into those DAC feeds. because, i can get to L/R rca from Mini output [airport wireless and iphone] and wireless to the audio system isn't stable enough for me to rely on it for enjoyable playback.
    That "L/R stereo RCA cable" is an analog signalthat already has beed converted, via another DAC (Digital to (Analog (Converter).

    To do what you want, you would have to RE-convert it into the digital domain via an Analog to Digital Converter. And then you could use your other DAC to RE-RE-convert it into analog. Is that what you really want?

    To make any sense of your scheme you would need to send a digital signal directly from the source to your beloved DAC, ergo the USB or digital coax suggestions.

  6. #6
    etl
    etl is offline
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    To do what you want, you would have to RE-convert it into the digital domain via an Analog to Digital Converter. And then you could use your other DAC to RE-RE-convert it into analog. Is that what you really want?
    I guess that's the crux of the problem.

    the aforementioned apple airport has a usb out, but it's not very reliable in my home. Running usb 2.0 from the Mac would require a long lead of wire.

    the Soundblaster link above seems to act like a quick pre-amp as a way to convert the signal into a Digital out?

    Can i get a digital signal out from my iphone? And is there a way to convert usb to any of: Coax 75; Balanced 110; Optic; and At&t digital inputs, with a simple cable that isn't some sort of pre-amp type of box?

  7. #7
    Suspended markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Noo Joisey. Youse got a problem wit dat?
    Posts
    4,676

    Gonna take more than a simple cable...

    Quote Originally Posted by etl
    And is there a way to convert usb to any of: Coax 75; Balanced 110; Optic; and At&t digital inputs, with a simple cable that isn't some sort of pre-amp type of box?
    As was previously stated:

    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    Blue Circle makes a unit that will take a usb signal and convert it to coax for a dac. There are others as well but they do not come to mind right now but if they come to mind I will post.

  8. #8
    Retro Modernist 02audionoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,944
    Quote Originally Posted by etl
    I guess that's the crux of the problem.

    the aforementioned apple airport has a usb out, but it's not very reliable in my home. Running usb 2.0 from the Mac would require a long lead of wire.

    the Soundblaster link above seems to act like a quick pre-amp as a way to convert the signal into a Digital out?

    Can i get a digital signal out from my iphone? And is there a way to convert usb to any of: Coax 75; Balanced 110; Optic; and At&t digital inputs, with a simple cable that isn't some sort of pre-amp type of box?
    The SoundBlaster is more of a sound card than a preamp. It converts digital to analog and it converts analog to digital.

  9. #9
    etl
    etl is offline
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4
    Presumably, the Blue Circle Thingee and/or USB Tunnel is what i'm looking for there. It's not clear to me why the Tunnel is almost twice the price but both units look like they point me in the right direction.

    Thanks for the help and quick feedback!

  10. #10
    music whore Happy Camper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Greater Cincinnati area
    Posts
    157
    I'm using the M2Tech HiFace with a Sigma II with very good results.
    d HC b

  11. #11
    Administrator Site Administrator atomicAdam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Oaktown!
    Posts
    1,935
    It would seem this is what you are looking for -

    I've got one here - waiting for the right wall socket adapter to test it out.

    http://reviews.audioreview.com/blog/...dif-converter/

    I can let you know what I think...
    This is a test to edit sig.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook