Thread: banana vs spade

Forum Regular

banana vs spade

is there any difference? if not, then why are there these two choices? further, why would anyone not want to go with the ease of the banana plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by nusiclover
    is there any difference? if not, then why are there these two choices? further, why would anyone not want to go with the ease of the banana plugs?
    My own opinion is that a well crimped or soldered spade would provide the strongest and most durable contact. Unlike a banana, if you try to pull the spade out, either accidentally or otherwise, something other than the spade is going to give. That's why spades are used in cars and other devices which are in motion.

The banana is good for the convenience like having outdoor speakers that you want to put inside when it rains or some other reason for lots of quick disconnections.

For most people, either is a good choice. I personally have all banana plugs because I got the guy to throw me two dozen for free the last time I bought a receiver.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Mike
    My own opinion is that a well crimped or soldered spade would provide the strongest and most durable contact. Unlike a banana, if you try to pull the spade out, either accidentally or otherwise, something other than the spade is going to give. That's why spades are used in cars and other devices which are in motion.

The banana is good for the convenience like having outdoor speakers that you want to put inside when it rains or some other reason for lots of quick disconnections.

For most people, either is a good choice. I personally have all banana plugs because I got the guy to throw me two dozen for free the last time I bought a receiver.

I agree that spades provide the best connection when crimped down but Bananas are so easy to use and provide very good conenctions. Also, a lot of today's feature packed A/V receivers have so many inputs and outputs crammed in on the back panel it makes it almost impossible to use spades. There is simply not enough room around each binding post. I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 and I doubt spades would work very well with it. I use Banana plugs all the way. One thing, sometimes you have to try out different Bananas as some models are a little loose fitting on certain receivers. I use Dayton banana plugs from Partsexpress.com and they seem to work great.

JSE

Forum Regular
    ok, i can understand the need sometimes to use bananas on the amp (with all the inputs/outputs). but, what about the speaker posts? would it then befit to use bananas at the amp and spades at the speakers?

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by nusiclover
    ok, i can understand the need sometimes to use bananas on the amp (with all the inputs/outputs). but, what about the speaker posts? would it then befit to use bananas at the amp and spades at the speakers?
    If you don't change the cables often, then yes, spades would be the "best" connector to have at the speaker end. Myself, I actually unplug my speakers about once every week or two and move them so I can clean around them. I have have hardwoods floors and felt on the bottom of my speakers so they just slide out of the way. This is where Bananas are a blessing. The ones I have are actually attached via a plastic piece between them. Be carefull though, the spacing does not always match up with the binding post spacing on receivers and speakers.

JSE

Forum Regular
    Best connection go with spades. Convenience bananas. Keep in mind they are 3 types of spades. Small, medium and large. Small spades are used mostly for the older type equipment. I stay away from the large spades. I always go with spades and most of the buffs do too.

Thread Information