nightflier

Audioquest BedRock Speaker Cables

I know I'll probably get blasted for these comments, but lately I have been using the less expensive Audioquest (Type2/4) or Monster speaker cables if I wasn't just using zip chord (I also have some home-made ribbon & Cat 5 cables).

A colleague of mine at work is selling a pair of used 12' AudioQuest Bedrock cables. I've never heard these, but they are in very good condition from what I can tell and a pretty beefy cable to boot. So I thought I would given them a shot.

- Are these well regarded cables?
    - How would one characterize their sound?
    - What previous generation line do they compare to (Granite, KE-6, GR8, ...)?

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I've never heard these, but they are in very good condition from what I can tell and a pretty beefy cable to boot.

Choosing cables by how they sound might not be the right approach in selecting cables.

Given that best cable are "soundless" and should be as transparent as possible (draw no attention to themselves), then if cable have a sound that can be characterize, it is not transparent and should be discarded.

So it might be more fruitful in finding the right cable by looking at cables' shield, geometry, materials, connecters and integrity rather than how they sound.

After that long lecture , some of AQ cable use PVC as insulator/dielectric in their cables which is not best material in the world for that application (PE and Teflon are better). So you may want to check that out first before purchasing cables.
    "Say Hello To My Little Friend."

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Montana
    Choosing cables by how they sound might not be the right approach in selecting cables.

Given that best cable are "soundless" and should be as transparent as possible (draw no attention to themselves), then if cable have a sound that can be characterize, it is not transparent and should be discarded.

So it might be more fruitful in finding the right cable by looking at cables' shield, geometry, materials, connecters and integrity rather than how they sound.

After that long lecture , some of AQ cable use PVC as insulator/dielectric in their cables which is not best material in the world for that application (PE and Teflon are better). So you may want to check that out first before purchasing cables.
    I believe that a soundless cable can still effect a system due to it's electrical characteristics. It would be nice if there was a cable that was designed to be universal. The best way is to buy them and try them in your system with a money back return policy.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    The best way is to buy them and try them in your system with a money back return policy.
    That is good suggestion, but how one know which cable is most transparent by listening alone.

Before you answer, I would suggest to read this thread from AA also:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...na&r=&session=
    "Say Hello To My Little Friend."

nightflier

Is bedrock stonecold?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Montana
    Well I was hoping to avoid a whole conversation about how speaker cables affect the sound (there's plenty of these all over this list)...

- Does the Bedrock cable use PVC? It doesn't say so on the AQ website, but then again, PVC could have all sorts of different names.

I was merely trying to get some input from people who have Bedrock cables and who have compared them to other cables in this price range. I also noticed that Bedrock cables seem to be on sale everywhere. Are these bad cables that everyone is trying to get rid of?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Well I was hoping to avoid a whole conversation about how speaker cables affect the sound (there's plenty of these all over this list)...

- Does the Bedrock cable use PVC? It doesn't say so on the AQ website, but then again, PVC could have all sorts of different names.

I was merely trying to get some input from people who have Bedrock cables and who have compared them to other cables in this price range. I also noticed that Bedrock cables seem to be on sale everywhere. Are these bad cables that everyone is trying to get rid of?
    For more info on the Bedrock go to Audioquests site and select the Bedrock page and when you are there click on PDF and a more detailed page of info about the cable will download. It has all the info about geometry and insulation.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

nightflier

Partial PVC?

JM, here's what the cross-section looks like:

It shows that only part of the cable is PVC. Is this good or bad?

By the way, anyone out there have AQ bedrock cables? What do you think of them?

Linear Guy

bedrock comments

[By the way, anyone out there have AQ bedrock cables? What do you think of them?[/QUOTE]
    I know its late fot this response but,

I've had em in my system for about 6 months now. I like them. I was a cable skeptic but I purchased a system that was very revealing and man, I could really start hearing the differences between cables, mainly that some of the cheaper cables were just not sufficiently separating the sound tracks or voice got mixed in with higher instruments or the upper end was too bright which made long term listening a problem. Bedrock was the best thing I tried. It is a quiet cable and noticeably better than type 4 which is not a bad cable either. Way better than all the cheap cables, most of which I tried. My opinon only.
    Cable quality IMO is highly system dependant. I had a system once that sounded just fine with monster.

dk

Linear Guy

bedrock comments

[By the way, anyone out there have AQ bedrock cables? What do you think of them?[/QUOTE]
    I know its late fot this response but,

I've had em in my system for about 6 months now. I like them. I was a cable skeptic but I purchased a system that was very revealing and man, I could really start hearing the differences between cables, mainly that some of the cheaper cables were just not sufficiently separating the sound tracks or voice got mixed in with higher instruments or the upper end was too bright which made long term listening a problem. Bedrock was the best thing I tried. It is a quiet cable and noticeably better than type 4 which is not a bad cable either. Way better than all the cheap cables, most of which I tried. My opinon only.
    Cable quality IMO is highly system dependant. I had a system once that sounded just fine with monster.

dk

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

hooboy

twinlead/monster type speaker cables are easily surpassed. its not that they are bad, just pedestrian. large gauge, good conductor twinlead cabling sounds fine but simply going to type 4 aq will reduce the boom slightly and extend the lows. the rest of the signal seems cleaner too.

i wouldnt mind hearing bedrock but i already have kimber 8tc. of course, the better the electronics (the cleaner the window), the more improvement youll hear with truly better cable.

usually low end receivers wont give you a clean enough window to hear the improvement. bigger gauge is usually enough to yield an improvement over zip cord of lite gauge.

these differences arent enough to slap you in the face but audible.

aq, kimber, and cardas all make affordable wires. see if the dealer can loan them for trial.
    Last edited by hifitommy; 09-03-2005 at 11:16 PM. Reason: glitch in spelchek
    ...regards...tr

Linear Guy

small disagreement I think.

usually low end receivers wont give you a clean enough window to hear the improvement. bigger gauge is usually enough to yield an improvement over zip cord of lite gauge.

[I have a small disagreement on your cable/ receier statement. I had a Denon DRA 685 a couple of years back ( kind of a "Stereo Only" receiver from Denon) and being the habitual tweaker I decided to upgrade the interconnects, speaker wire, and plug. I went with type 4 over classic monster, IXOS interconnects over stock connections ( both of which were being closed-out by the local stereo guy) and put a hospital grade plug on the power chord. The Type 4 and interconnects upgrades individually made a small but noticeable improvement in musical clarity. I listened hard to my usual stuff which is classical choral. The plug didn't so squat. So I considered two out of three tweaks to be successful.

Respectfully, dk

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

some receivers are created more equal than others

to play on an old false platitude. i am absolutely sure that some receivers are capable of good clean reproduction. B&K and rotel come to mind as does my old sherwood s8900a (long gone). denon makes some fine merchandise and marantz (these days). it just the lower end of the spectrum, i DID say 'usually'

the changing of the ac plug/jack is likely not to be heard in a lot of systems, even very high end ones. but in some situations, it could be distinctly evident. broad generalizations dont wash in this biz.

the changes you made that you did discern improvement on would be more easily heard using high end separates. i am not being smug, its what you find out over time when you DO go higher up the ladder. it took me a long time, i am 60 now. i wish i had been at this level of equipment at the age of 40!

http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/588.html
    ...regards...tr

Linear Guy

gotcha

[QUOTE=hifitommy]to play on an old false platitude. i am absolutely sure that some receivers are capable of good clean reproduction. B&K and rotel come to mind as does my old sherwood s8900a (long gone). denon makes some fine merchandise and marantz (these days). it just the lower end of the spectrum, i DID say 'usually'

Understood, the Denon is long gone in favor of Van Alstine gear with upgraded speakers and wire. I was just generalizing about the tweaks becaue I suppose a lot of folks who just plain love music will try and make minor improvements in what they have ( while paying for 2 college bills ) before taking the plunge into serious gear. I'm up there in years too.
    thanks, dk

Forum Regular
    I know I'll probably get blasted for these comments, but lately I have been using the less expensive Audioquest (Type2/4) or Monster speaker cables if I wasn't just using zip chord (I also have some home-made ribbon & Cat 5 cables).

A colleague of mine at work is selling a pair of used 12' AudioQuest Bedrock cables. I've never heard these, but they are in very good condition from what I can tell and a pretty beefy cable to boot. So I thought I would given them a shot.

- Are these well regarded cables?
    - What previous generation line do they compare to (Granite, KE-6, GR8, ...)?
    Hey nightflier, I've had my Bedrock cables for a little while, and I think they're fantastic. They tend to be a little dark at first, but once they've broken in, they sound very neutral and really help to tighten the bass as well. I did a lot of research before buying mine, and every review I read about them said nothing but good things, and I don't regret buying them at all.

Depending on what he's charging you for the pair, I'd say go for it, Bedrock is a great all-around cable and I'm sure you'd be pleased. I tested many cables before settling on these, even some in the $1,000+ range and they couldn't hold a candle to them. A lot of it will depend on your setup too, but assuming you've got a good setup, they'll benefit you nicely.

Compare what he's charging you to the prices online, they can be had on eBay for about $160 or so for a 12' pair, or slightly more through Audio Advisor.

Thread Information