Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Now let me get this straight...

Quote Originally Posted by jneutron
    1. Pull a 1Khz sine out of the output terminal... Then, fix the line cord.

Once these steps are done, the difficult tests can be done.

Cheers, John
    ...you put de lime in de co-co-nut and drink 'em boat up...

Part one:

I think I get the nub of your gist, but I'm not sure of the crux of your biscuit...let me run it through my geek-to-idiot translator...

Okay, some basics (cuz I'ze dumm):

HAVERSINE A waveform that is sinusoidal in nature, but consists of a portion of a sine wave superimposed on another waveform. The input current waveform to a typical off-line power supply has the form of a haversine.

OFF LINE A power supply which receives its input power from the AC line, without using a 50/60 Hz power transformer prior to rectification and filtering, hence the term "off line" power supply.

(SOURCE: http://www.systemconnection.com/down.../glossary.html)

OK, I get all that but, am I mistaken in thinking that audio power supplies reduce the voltage to required level(s) and then rectify? Or do they rectify the line voltage and then reduce it to required levels?

If the former, the haversine "problem" would seem to be minimal or non-existent...if the latter, my only question is: when did this come about and what were they thinking?

Part two:

Re: the other bits...are we basically talking about the difference in ground potential? That a ground isn't a ground, isn't a ground even though it's at zero potential vis-a-vis it's accompanying reference voltage? That the "ground" reference to the DC supplies isn't necessarily at the same potential as your garden-variety cold water pipe or 6ft. metal stake in the ground? That fact notwithstanding, it's considered a ground all the same?

jimHJJ(...or am I all wet...in which case I should avoid all electrical sources...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Okay...okay...

...just got around to acquainting myself with the original topic of this thread...(insert Woody Woodpecker noise here)...

DBS...Di-electric Biasing System (Pat. Pend.)...

Now this is the way my mind runs...in order for work to be done, energy must be expended...yet, as per their site, AQ says the 36VDC derived from common hardware store batteries, themselves subject to a no-load situation, should last for years...much as they would sitting on a shelf or safely ensconced in a blister-pak...No load, no loss, no work?

They are part of an open circuit...their job: charging a di-electric (which by it's definition is a non conductor of electric current)...S-o-o what do dey do?

jimHJJ(...IMHO it's DBS alright...D BS...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...you put de lime in de co-co-nut and drink 'em boat up...

Part one:

I think I get the nub of your gist, but I'm not sure of the crux of your biscuit...let me run it through my geek-to-idiot translator...

Okay, some basics (cuz I'ze dumm):

HAVERSINE A waveform that is sinusoidal in nature, but consists of a portion of a sine wave superimposed on another waveform. The input current waveform to a typical off-line power supply has the form of a haversine.

OFF LINE A power supply which receives its input power from the AC line, without using a 50/60 Hz power transformer prior to rectification and filtering, hence the term "off line" power supply.

(SOURCE: http://www.systemconnection.com/down.../glossary.html)

OK, I get all that but, am I mistaken in thinking that audio power supplies reduce the voltage to required level(s) and then rectify? Or do they rectify the line voltage and then reduce it to required levels?

If the former, the haversine "problem" would seem to be minimal or non-existent...if the latter, my only question is: when did this come about and what were they thinking?

Part two:

Re: the other bits...are we basically talking about the difference in ground potential? That a ground isn't a ground, isn't a ground even though it's at zero potential vis-a-vis it's accompanying reference voltage? That the "ground" reference to the DC supplies isn't necessarily at the same potential as your garden-variety cold water pipe or 6ft. metal stake in the ground? That fact notwithstanding, it's considered a ground all the same?

jimHJJ(...or am I all wet...in which case I should avoid all electrical sources...)
    All amplifiers I have seen to date will amplify a signal that is injected into the ground input of the amplifier. Ground loop hum is detected by this. Most amplifiers cause current to flow into their ground input because they create large haversine currents on the ground loop made by their connection to other line powered units.

Most, if not all, amplifiers, will create magnetic fields within the chassis, that are a result of the current that is being delivered to the load. Some amplifiers will pick this up and amplify it.

All big electrolytic capacitors lose about half their capacity at 20Khz, many are inductive by virtue of their construction.

When e/m field theory is considered with respect to amplifier design and construction, it is easy to see that nobody is paying attention to the details..you might as well design it to look like a bowl of spaghetti.

Cheers, John

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...just got around to acquainting myself with the original topic of this thread...(insert Woody Woodpecker noise here)...

DBS...Di-electric Biasing System (Pat. Pend.)...

Now this is the way my mind runs...in order for work to be done, energy must be expended...yet, as per their site, AQ says the 36VDC derived from common hardware store batteries, themselves subject to a no-load situation, should last for years...much as they would sitting on a shelf or safely ensconced in a blister-pak...No load, no loss, no work?

They are part of an open circuit...their job: charging a di-electric (which by it's definition is a non conductor of electric current)...S-o-o what do dey do?

jimHJJ(...IMHO it's DBS alright...D BS...)
    Non linearity of dielectrics is an easily testable entity. Some are quite so.

Deviation from linearity is measureable..

Nothing to date has ever shown that this is of concern at speaker levels. Nothing.

At line levels, if it is an issue, fix the problem, don't use a band aid.

Cheers, John

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information