Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Titanic Mkiii 15"

OH MY G.D! IT IS A MONSTER!

I just unboxed this baby. It is HUGE! More later.
    Back to the assembly.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    OH MY G.D! IT IS A MONSTER!

I just unboxed this baby. It is HUGE! More later.
    Back to the assembly.
    What........your still not done yet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    What........your still not done yet!!!

Total time for assembly (including running to Lowes for spray adhesive) 70 minutes. If you know what you're doing, this could be put together in 10 minutes. I saw a lot of reviews where people had trouble with the internal nuts digging into the MDF during installation. I was worried about this until I saw that they now pre-install these nuts for you. The kit still comes with extras with the rest of the hardware. The instructions say to toss them out. This thing is built like a tank! Can you say big? No, bigger than that. Yeah, BIG!

So now it's together. Spikes in, and placed on top of the little nickel sized supports that are included. First thing in was Chicago's greatest hits. And hit it does. Had to turn it down. Played the first few songs and then threw in some Genesis. It sounds great! I missed last Friday's Battle Star so I figured that this would be a good time to let the DVR do it's job too. Oh my! My chest was shaking as a ship coasted by. (never mind that space is a vacuume. the sound was incredible) Only one problem. I hear dishes rattling in the kitchen. As luck would have it, it was just a couple in the sink. Put them in the washer and everything was good again.

This thing really rocks. It hits you like a ton of bricks. But it is under control with the parametric EQ. I haven't had a chance to calibrate it yet so I just dialed it to 18htz and turn it up 3db at a narrow band. It's not boomy at all and is tight as h.ll. I can't wait to get home tonight and put in Jurassic Park III and Polar Express.

The infinity PS-12 moved into the bedroom to replace the 6.5 inch semi-sub that was in there. This was another huge plus. Well worth the reduced price for the holidays. If it's been on your wish list, it's time to take a good hard look. And maybe even pull that trigger?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I called PE and the kits will be on sale until 1/04. That gives me a couple of months. The return policy is 45 days. They'll honor it even if the sub has been put together.

I called PE and the kits will be on sale until 1/04.
    While supplies last.

The return policy is 45 days. They'll honor it even if the sub has been put together.
    Return? Not me. The only way this is leaving my house is if someone breaks in and steals it.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I hear dishes rattling in the kitchen. As luck would have it, it was just a couple in the sink. Put them in the washer and everything was good again.
    I want a sub that does that!
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

The only way this is leaving my house is if someone breaks in and steals it.
    Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    I want a sub that does that!
    My kitchen, living and dining rooms are all one room. (about 700sqft) But, yeah, I like it!

LJ,

It would cost you as much to drive here, stay in hotels along the way, and drive back as it would to just buy one. How about you just fly out and we'll let you stay on the couch (same room as the sub) for a few days?

Darn you GM and your "while supplies last" comments. You pushed me over the edge. Mine will be here early next week.

Darn you GM and your "while supplies last" comments. You pushed me over the edge. Mine will be here early next week.
    BANG!

Was that the sound of someone pulling the trigger? Congrats. I know you'll be glad you did. And you could always return it. (or send it to me after you assemble it.

Still free freight? That's a biggie with something that's 100 pounds and takes up two boxes.

BANG!

Was that the sound of someone pulling the trigger? Congrats. I know you'll be glad you did. And you could always return it. (or send it to me after you assemble it.

Still free freight? That's a biggie with something that's 100 pounds and takes up two boxes.
    Yep, $578 total. I jump in a little early but couldn't pass the sale up. I'm gonna have some extra $$$ soon so no biggie.

I'm gonna be makin' some changes to my other system as well. I'm pulling the C-3's out of my bedroom and S12.3 sub (which is getting replaced by the titanic) and starting a 2.1 in a separate room. Probably be picking up an intergr. for that and pulling the Denon DCM 380 for that system as well.

My C-1's will go from surrounds to mains on my bedroom system and I already have Energy R1's to use as surrounds. My Vega's are gonna be moved into my garage.

Yep, $578 total. I jump in a little early but couldn't pass the sale up. I'm gonna have some extra $$$ soon so no biggie.

I'm gonna be makin' some changes to my other system as well. I'm pulling the C-3's out of my bedroom and S12.3 sub (which is getting replaced by the titanic) and starting a 2.1 in a separate room. Probably be picking up an intergr. for that and pulling the Denon DCM 380 for that system as well.

My C-1's will go from surrounds to mains on my bedroom system and I already have Energy R1's to use as surrounds. My Vega's are gonna be moved into my garage.
    Extra cash is always a good thing. Does this mean that wifey is all for it?
    Upgrades are the next best thing to extra cash. Next thing you'll be telling me that you have some extra tang on the way. Oops, can I say that here?

Gremlins! That's it, I must have gremlins. Someone keeps turning up my sub. I've turned it down 3 times already only to have it get too loud again an hour or so later. Is this a break in thing?
    Half way through last night the sub seemed to be over powering my system again. But this time, instead of turning it down, I started playing with the parametric EQ. Haven't stopped by Rat Shack to pick up a meter yet, but never let it be said that anything will stop me. Equipment, knowledge, who needs it? Here's what I did. With the gain turned up to +4db I started turning the dial up from 18htz. When I got to about 60htz the boominess more than doubled. So I left the dial at 60htz and turned the gain/defeat down to -3db. Now it sounds great again. Doesn't overpower the system, but still hits like a ton of bricks when it is supposed to. Maybe some day I'll get off my lazy ars and ride the 5 miles down the road to the Shack. But till then, I'm a very happy man.

Extra cash is always a good thing. Does this mean that wifey is all for it?
    Yep. You gotta run a $500+ purchase by the wife first.

Gremlins! That's it, I must have gremlins. Someone keeps turning up my sub. I've turned it down 3 times already only to have it get too loud again an hour or so later. Is this a break in thing?
    Half way through last night the sub seemed to be over powering my system again. But this time, instead of turning it down, I started playing with the parametric EQ. Haven't stopped by Rat Shack to pick up a meter yet, but never let it be said that anything will stop me. Equipment, knowledge, who needs it? Here's what I did. With the gain turned up to +4db I started turning the dial up from 18htz. When I got to about 60htz the boominess more than doubled. So I left the dial at 60htz and turned the gain/defeat down to -3db. Now it sounds great again. Doesn't overpower the system, but still hits like a ton of bricks when it is supposed to. Maybe some day I'll get off my lazy ars and ride the 5 miles down the road to the Shack. But till then, I'm a very happy man.
    Order it online

http://www.rivesaudio.com/software/softframes.html

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Oh no...what have I done....

Congrats on the Titanic, boys...Lemme know when you're ready for some tweaking...

Not a bad sub for the buck, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Oh no...what have I done....

Congrats on the Titanic, boys...Lemme know when you're ready for some tweaking...

Not a bad sub for the buck, eh?
    Dude! Did you notice that you cracked 5000 posts? Way to go! 3 cheers for Kexy.

HIP HIP HORAY...
    HIP HIP HORAY...
    HIP HIP YEHAAAAAAAAAA...........

Yeah, so far I'm loving it.
    What kind of tweaks have you got in mind?

Sub came yesterday. This thing is freakin' HUGE!!!!!!

Damn, you guys make it sound like they are novelty items. Seriously Ballzy Items.

-JRA

Sub came yesterday. This thing is freakin' HUGE!!!!!!
    This must be together for a couple of days now. So. what do you think? What have you played and how did it sound?

This must be together for a couple of days now. So. what do you think? What have you played and how did it sound?
    Haven't had a chance to really play with it yet. I put in a DTS demo disc I have to make sure it worked. It has clips from I-Robot, Hero, Kill Bill, LOTR. I really can't do a proper demo because I have no place to put it right now. Anyways, yeah this thing can hit hard. Very clean bass. My gain was set to about 4 and the EQ level at 0. I'm not even gonna bother toying with that until I find a proper resting place for this beast. So I really didn't do any calibration. Just plugged it in and made sure it worked.

By the way, did I say that this thing is freakin' HUGE!!!

By the way, did I say that this thing is freakin' HUGE!!!
    You may have mentioned it.
    It's a monster isn't it.

I've been home sick for over a week now. So I've seen about 1/4 of my DVD's as well as every movie available on cable this month. This includes all 6 of the Star Wars episodes. So far, everything sounds better than I had dreamed. Although, the begining of Polar Express seemed to reseat the star nuts a little deaper and I needed to tighten things up a bit. Reminded me of working on the Harley. Anything that shakes that much is bound to need tightening now and then. So far this has been the only maintenence. It's most likely because I was fearfull of making them too tight the first time. I'm loving the sound, and really loving the thump.

I really need a dedicated room for HT. The huge speakers are taking over. This sub will definately earn negative WAF points big time. Thankfully mine is not too concerned about my HT addiction or the size of the speakers. I guess it helps that the entire family enjoys the system. Maybe I should sell all my gear and invest in a slick new Bose system.

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. Aw man! Good thing I wasn't drinking any coffee when I read that.

With building the new house it was understood that the living room was mine to turn into an HT room. I even have the go ahead on big pannels once the cash flow gets back to normal.

But the bedroom came out much better than expected with just a few E10's and cieling mounts. I'm sure with a little research you could make a much nicer system that is still "nice for the wife." No need to compromise yourself into a Bose cube system.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Dude! Did you notice that you cracked 5000 posts? Way to go! 3 cheers for Kexy.

HIP HIP HORAY...
    HIP HIP HORAY...
    HIP HIP YEHAAAAAAAAAA...........

Yeah, so far I'm loving it.
    What kind of tweaks have you got in mind?
    Tweaking depends on your willingness to go back in there. Different damping material can really "customize" the overall punchiness, transient response, fr extension and resonances to your liking. I like pink fiberglass, or even better, rigid fiberglass or mineral wool. Poly fill might be better than the foam. You could port it and adjust port sizes for some added dB, FR, and make for a very cool way to build a variable parameter subwoofer. I have a sub that I bought plugs for and adjust the ports manually now and then. Kind of fun. I prefer the sealed sound though, but sometimes it's nice to have the +4 to +5 dB below 30 Hz for free at the expense of some musical sound quality.

Maybe even internal bracing and sealing, it's been awhile since I saw the inside of the cabinets, can't remember if their caulked or not along the seams internally (that helps prevent air leaks).

Anyhoo, for the cash, those are just about the best subs I've found still, in a pre-assembled, or kit form. Adire use to have a pretty affordable model that was impressive too but I think it wasn't worth while to them. Those should keep you satisfied for awhile.

What subs do you guys have to compare to the 15" Titanic? I get a lot of PM's from newbies and the like here (probably resulting from me shilling the Titanics so shamelessly at times) asking me about the 15" and what commercial models it compares to. My best commercial sub was the Paradigm PW-2200, but the 12" Titanic whooped that. I don't own the 15" Titanic and have only spent a few hours a few times with one - enough to know it's awesome but not make a good comparative guess..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information