Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    Here's a real life reference. In 1984 to 1986, I installed backbones for two large lans in a software development center. One was a Micom asynchronous network tied into a local Unix data center and the other was a sychronous IBM network which linked at one end to a remote IBM data center through a fiber optic about 2 miles long. The runs were 25 twisted pairs of telephone wire for the micom network and RG 62 coax for the IBM network. There were about 300 runs of coax and about 50 runs of synchronous. They were from 1100 to 1300 feet long from the PDF (primary data facility) to the modems in the data closets in an 11 story high rise. They served about 1000 users or more at a time with a theoretical maximum capacity of about 100,000 users. They sat in open aluminum ladder type cable trays. The voltage was about 1v peak to peak and there was no error correction. Shortly after it was completed, someone else against my instructions dumped about 50 BX cables (used for a fire alarm system) and 25 to 50 unshielded 70 volt PA speaker lines in the tray along almost its entire length. The cable tray also ran past a 13,800/480 volt substation with two 1500 KVA transformers and a 480/208 volt substation with two 1000 kva transformers. Because of concerns about the interference this might cause, the system with its problems was mathematically modeled and the results showed that there should be no problem. And eperience bore it out as no complaint was ever traced to a problem with this cable installation. Now what were you saying about your audio system?

Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    Here's a real life reference... And eperience bore it out as no complaint was ever traced to a problem with this cable installation.
    I guess this is where I should be impressed. Congratulations, I hereby award you this gold star:

Now what were you saying about your audio system?
    That which is relevant to audible differences in high performance audio systems backed by engineers who actually work in this field

rw
    Last edited by E-Stat; 07-08-2004 at 01:58 PM.

Forum Regular
    Congratulations E-stat, who do you work for and when did they hire you?

Congratulations E-stat, who do you work for and when did they hire you?
    Aperum - March 31, 1992

rw

Forum Regular
    What kind of audio equipment do they make? Which ones did you design?

What kind of audio equipment do they make? Which ones did you design?
    Absolutely none. Aperum is the leading developer of midrange distribution software and I remain a software engineer. Evidently, I need to jog your memory as I have already provided this information to you before:

One
    Two

rw

Forum Regular
    Amazing as it may seem, I do not read all of your gems. And I may occasionally forget those that I do. My loss. Maybe it's Alzheimers or a senior moment.

Sorry, I must have gotten carried away. You made your point so authoritatively, I got you mixed up with John Curl. I thought you designed audio equipment for a living.

You made your point so authoritatively...
    Why thank you.

Other than having a life-long love of music, I have simply enjoyed the dumb luck of befriending three audio reviewers over a thirty year span and the experience over time that has unfolded. Through those contacts, I have been introduced to a number of prominent engineers of very high performance audio components (not to mention classical music when I was 18). You might find having a discussion with Luke Manley of VTL quite instructive. Although a soft spoken and quite modest man, his Siegfried amps are sonic jewels. Harry Pearson, founder of The Absolute Sound, has always had access to a wide range of incredible components. Visiting HP with his veritable playground of several systems worth half a million or so is always a treat. His spectacular primary review system (circa May '04) is a wonderful tool for evaluating the quality of musical recordings. He gets test pressings from many sources, including Telarc, Reference Recordings, Classic Records etc and has had most of their producers to his house to sample their wares in a rare environment. You will appreciate the fact that he listens largely to classical music and makes it a point to regularly attend Carnegie Hall. On that system, questions of "does zip cord sound as good as Valhalla" or "can you hear differences among CD players" are rendered comical.

rw

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

You can be a...

...sneaky sumnab!tch, can't you...

jimHJJ(...LOL...)

Forum Regular
    Yup!
    Ain't I a stinker?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information