Thread: Dynaco ST-120

The Collector

Dynaco ST-120

I have a couple of Dynaco's in my collection, and today my ST-120 caught fire. I never even got a chance to listen to the amp and I have had it for 6 months now. It bugs me a lot. If anyone has any good mods for it let me know. I also have an ST-400 I am looking to mod.

Forum Regular

Dynaco mods

Possibly a blessing in disguise regarding the ST-120. Not one of Dynaco's best efforts. The 400 on the other hand is a pretty good amp. I'd leave it stock but if you really want to mod that bad boy, check out the Dynaco Doctor forum at, (dare I say it?, Audio Asylum).

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/dynaco/bbs.html

The Collector
    I really want my ST-120 working again there is something I really like about it. I have it as a high amp on JBL 4430's, and it sounds great running a pair of horns. For now I have my Urei to run the horns. I will check out the website and see what I can find though. Thanks for the info.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

audio by van alstine

does a nice mod to the st120. even though it wasnt one of dynas best efforts, frank does a nice mod that completely changes the amp.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    ...frank does a nice mod that completely changes the amp.
    Quite literally. The only thing he keeps is the chassis! I once was the happy owner of a FET-5 rebuild back in the 70s.

OmegaStar 170

rw

The Collector
    i'm sure that is a great way to go, but i buy my dynaco's for the dynaco sound. i have started the tear down on it right now and i'm searching for parts right now. thanks for the help

AR Newbie Registered Member

ST120 Parts

I like the look of the ST120, and am trading my luxman LV-105 for one(absolute mint ST120) for this reason alone, I am taking quite a hit here but hey it is what I want. I don't really care for the Luxman and it sees no use at all, besides it is not in the era of my choice pre 1976. I know a company years ago bought all of dynaco's stock up, parts ect. I just don't know wich one. Where can a person find old dynaco parts for such. I don't really want to have to replace one of those big beautifull caps with some modern tiny ugly looking cap. Any luck finding parts that keep the nice old look?.

panor corp

may be the company youre thinking of. but the 120 is nearly prehistoric comparitively. its still possible that some of those parts are rolling around their warehouse.

another place to bring up your concerns about the dynaco situation and your needs is:

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t...e&forum=dynaco

well, good luck in your quest.
    ...regards...tr

Wink

Ok thanks gonna go check it out now. If you can think of anything else at all for this amp, upgades and such drop a line I will check back everyday.

Hard to imagine any commercial mod being worthwhile

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    does a nice mod to the st120. even though it wasnt one of dynas best efforts, frank does a nice mod that completely changes the amp.
    I owned an ST80 back in early '70's -- reputed at the time to sound better than the ST120 anyway -- and it was no killer even back then.

These relics are only fit for hobbyists with time on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    IThese relics are only fit for hobbyists with time on their hands.
    You may be right and you can count me in. I have a PAT-4, 2 ST-80s, a pair of A-25s and a Quadaptor all with original manuals and in perfect operating as well as cosmetic condition. It's a dandy office/bedroom system with a sat. reciever, cd and a turntable. These are keepers for me since some of the pieces were built in the late 60s/early 70s by my dad who passed away on Boxing Day. Long live the poor mans Mac.

quadaptor

i have been using one since the 70s and have one that is from panor corp with 5 channels but i dont use the center. i am surrounded by all my sources including sacd and radio. i run the fronts off the adcom directly and the rears from the quadaptor.

very satisfying.
    ...regards...tr

Cool Van Alstine Mod

I own a Dynaco ST-120 that I had upgraded by Van Alstine here in Minnesota. It is called a Mos-Fet Series D and he uses the case, connectors, power cord, switch and transformer. Everything else he guts. I used it for about 6 months in 1990 until I bought Adcom 555 that I traded up to VTL 100 Mono Blocks. Well I stored the ST-120 until 5 years later I wanted to set up a HT system. Well I crossed up some wires going to the sub fried the ST-120- - so I thought. Stored it another 10 years thinking I would return it to Van Alstine to fix. Well I had a EE open it up and found a blown fuse! Changed the fuse checked the outputs on the bench, rock solid. (Remember It was in a dead short, as hot as a toaster!) I just set it up 2 months ago in the living room. Wow, It sounds great. Dead quiet and fast, detailed sound. The Synthesis LM120's float the sound stage. (Made by Conrad Johnson) Well now I need a good Pre-Amp. I use the adjustable line stage of the Onkyo Integra DX-200. And this stuff is over 18 years old! By the way. the ST-120 stock did not sound that great as I recall.

Kudos to Frank Van Alstine

Quote Originally Posted by paulrymn
    I own a Dynaco ST-120 that I had upgraded by Van Alstine here in Minnesota. ... And this stuff is over 18 years old! By the way. the ST-120 stock did not sound that great as I recall.
    But, you'll agree, after his mod the amp is no longer a Dynaco!

Frank is still around and making FET and tube/FET amps that are great by all accounts.

The Collector
    i gave up on the ST-120 project recently in order to persue a creation using Altec A7 cabs

Thread Information