Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DBT's and proof

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    Ah... I'm trying to. Didn't you say that a higher guage number might make the sound quieter? The cables will be crudely level matched. I'm taking Mystic's suggestion to set the volume at zero to start the test and then I'm going to hold my finger down on the remote volume until it sounds loud enough. I'm not even going to count the clicks.

Length will be the same for both - 1m.

I don't recall what you said about construction.
    What is "higher guage"? The lower the number of the guage, the thicker the wire is. Thicker wire generally has lower impedance (if other factors are equal) so lower guage (thicker) wire might sound "louder" (have higher volume) than thiner wire. There are also impedance effects for long runs of thin wire that could result in a lowering of high frequencies (in relation to the other frequencies). See, naysayers admit audible differences in cables are possible. Such differences are just not evident in typical home audio setups. Moreover, differences offered by "high end" cables are often not based on any scientificly valid reasons.

The bottom line of your effort is to try to make sure that there are no volume differences between the cables. We are supposedly looking for audio quality differences, but volume differences can be interpreted as such. And, I surmise, often are. I don't think this is an issue for 1M lengths, but you should check as best you can that the volume levels you hear are the same.

Forum Regular
    I just want to point MoA to the post of Pat D in the cables forum (in the thread about factors that matter when considering cables). This link might be of particular interest:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Thanks to Pat D for providing it.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RobotCzar
    I just want to point MoA to the post of Pat D in the cables forum (in the thread about factors that matter when considering cables). This link might be of particular interest:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Thanks to Pat D for providing it.
    I've seen it, thanks.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RobotCzar
    The bottom line of your effort is to try to make sure that there are no volume differences between the cables. We are supposedly looking for audio quality differences, but volume differences can be interpreted as such. And, I surmise, often are. I don't think this is an issue for 1M lengths, but you should check as best you can that the volume levels you hear are the same.
    It'll be difficult to level match. I see the point of doing so on quick, 30 second tests but these are over the course of several hours, during which time I may change the volume more than once, as is my custom during relaxed listening. Going to sleep and working a full day before the next trial should certainly wipe away any trace of any volume differences among the cables. Plus all initial volume settings will begin each evening from the zero setting and done on the remote so I will never see the position of my preamps volume dial.

First trial is in two days!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information