Thread: almost finished

almost finished

Well, Kexo, maybe you were right. I'm not sure if I like the silver. I decided to go with the new silver vinyl from partsexpress. It's a little too much if you have it beside the silver t.v. and t.v stand. I'm going to have the front black...waiting for the vinyl to come in. The vinyl went on smoothly but textured would have been easier. The vinyl had some dirt specks stuck between it and the adhesive so there are a couple of bumps but it probably is better than most paint jobs. I accidently cut a small section on the top (of course) of the speaker and had to patch it. I was so ticked off. My wife said nobody would ever see it but I'm a perfectionist. I was going to pull it off and redo it but when I pulled off a piece earlier, it actually pulled some of the MDF off and I didn't want to have to patch etc....

My wife and neighbor think that there is no way this speaker will sound better than the ones I have. I hope to prove them wrong...Hopefully by tomorrow night.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I haven't heard your current speakers so I can't comment there...but given the price you gave me I will be shocked if you don't see at least some improvement. I replaced a complete Paradigm Studio system with mine.

Don't worry about the finish...you get better with practice. I'm refinishing mine right now too. Room changed color so the old rosewood ain't cutting it anymore.

MDF is pretty forgiving...take th stuff off and sand down. I use car body-fill if necessary to patch gouges, etc...bondo, whatever...that stuff works great, but you have to apply it quick.
    Drywall compound would work too.

Keep us updated...and don't get discouraged if at first they don't sound quite like you'd like...I had to fine tune mine...often too much polyfill is the culprit.

O.K. I'm finished except for a few touchups and I forgot to seal one tweeter. I've only had about an hour to listen to them but so far they sound great. A little week in the midrange compared to what I'm used too but I think they need a little break in time. The center channel sounds great also but I still need to run it through the setup.
    Now, I tried to flush mount these and the woofer is great but the tweeter still sticks out about 1/16 to 1/8" I wish I would have routed deeper. I measured and everthing looked right. Will this really make a difference?
    My old speakers weren't flush mounted and according to Consumer's report, they were one of the most accurate speakers they've tested (I know that doesn't say much
    Anyway, I'll post pictures later.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hard to say how much it will matter. Edge diffraction generally creates a bit of a mess with the high end, but 1/8 inch isn't that much. I would try to sand down the cutout as best you could...maybe using a dremel or something. Sounds like being picky, but high frequency issues can be annoying.
    Might have to live with it though.

Could the seal/tape be giving you the trouble here, that might give a bit more over time, and compress down a bit.

Thread Information