Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    For about $500 you may be able to find an original Benz Ace (it comes in low, med, and high output) which is supposed to be a good match for the carbon fibre tonearm on the Pro-Ject. Benz just came out with an updated Ace line called the Ace S at about $200 more than the original Ace. You should be able to get a deal on the original Ace if you can find one.

I heard it with a Denon DL-103 too, and it still sounded like a good match for the tonearm...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    I heard it with a Denon DL-103 too, and it still sounded like a good match for the tonearm...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Very good. I'm about to get the Denon DL-103 for my Technics table, but I'm going to have to either get a step-up transformer or a new phono stage that will handle its low output.

With my older Pro-ject (aluminum arm tube rather than carbon fiber), I run an Ortofon MC-3 Turbo which I can also recommend. Its treble region is light and airy, midrange is smooth and detailed, but its bass extension and slam don't come through on my Pro-Ject. When switched over to the Technics, the MC3 really rocks. Bass comes through deep, tight and clean. I'm thinking it would do very well on a higher end Pro-Ject table/arm like the RM-5. In Europe, I think the Pro-Ject table/cart packages come with Ortofon carts which I generally prefer over the Sumiko carts supplied with Pro-Jects in the US.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    This thread is a little old, but I would like to hear about BR's trip to needle doctor.

Here's my take on the Pro-Ject RM-5 vs. the RM-5 SE: go with the regular RM-5 and add the Pro-Ject Speed Box. Then you won't have to pay for that Sumiko BPS that comes with the SE and you'll come out about $100 cheaper w/RM-5 and Speed Box. The SE with cart may seem like a better value, but from what I've read most people don't stay with a BPS for very long. For about $500 you may be able to find an original Benz Ace (it comes in low, med, and high output) which is supposed to be a good match for the carbon fibre tonearm on the Pro-Ject. Benz just came out with an updated Ace line called the Ace S at about $200 more than the original Ace. You should be able to get a deal on the original Ace if you can find one.

I purchased my Benz from NeedleDoctor and I saved money through the Benz trade in program. I traded in an old Grado for the Benz. After some wear on the Gold it will be traded in on the ACE for a good savings. I also have a Bluepoint that I will be trading in for a new one at a greatly reduced price. I will be in Minneapolis during the first week of August and I hope to make it to the NeedleDoctor.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I purchased my Benz from NeedleDoctor and I saved money through the Benz trade in program. I traded in an old Grado for the Benz. After some wear on the Gold it will be traded in on the ACE for a good savings. I also have a Bluepoint that I will be trading in for a new one at a greatly reduced price. I will be in Minneapolis during the first week of August and I hope to make it to the NeedleDoctor.
    Hey, JM. Are you saying you will be trading in the Bluepoint for another Bluepoint, or for a Benz? Just curious. Most of what I've read suggests that the BP can become a little fatiguing due to the way it handles highs. What's your experience? My only experience with Sumiko carts is with the Oyster which came with my Pro-Ject table. I may have used it 2 weeks. I think I'll see if it qualifies for the Benz trade in program. (I wouldn't mind hearing Sumiko's Blackbird or Celebration though.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information