Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    And after all that...I jumped on a lightly used RPM-4 that I happened across for a couple hundred and change.

I figure this one is close enough that I can at least get a taste of these other tables, yet cheap enough that I'm not gonna stress on the decision for now. I figure this will do me for a decent amount of time and if I do decide I need something more I will wait and save up for more of a "final" table kinda rig down the line a bit.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. At the very least you all got me to slow down and really look around and do a bit of research and be patient until I just happened on what looked like a great deal to me. I'll let y'all know how I like it once it arrives and I am all set up.

Seems like a good decision. An RPM-4 is the sort of step up from the entry level that I think makes a nice difference.

Good choice....and you still got money for a few tweaks like a platform. Does it come with a cart? I forgot to tell you there is a placeon your side of town that sells all kind of used gear including carts. I think its call Alfa tech.
    O
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Yeah, this thing is cheap enough that basically I'm cleaning out my spare cart drawer and that will more than cover it. So if I want some extras I can pick up some...or buy more records. It comes with a cart, low end Ortofon. I'll slap my Denon 103 on there though. Looking forward to a new toy for sure.

I ran across Alpha Tech when I was looking for someone to do some repairs, but I didn't realize they kept a used stock of gear. I'll have to keep that in mind.
    Last edited by nobody; 08-07-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Yeah...no one knows about it untill you go upstairs and then you be like a kid in a candy store. It mostly stuff people dropped Off to get fixed and never came back over the years.
    Last edited by frenchmon; 08-07-2011 at 06:32 PM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

The Pro-Ject would be better suited to cartridges with more of a medium compliance than the lower compliance the DL-103 has. It might track better with the Ortofon.

I'll give both a shot as long as I have 'em both on hand. I've just grown fond of the Denon over previous Ortofons I've tried higher up the scale than the one coming on the table. Compatibility could change that though I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    I'll give both a shot as long as I have 'em both on hand. I've just grown fond of the Denon over previous Ortofons I've tried higher up the scale than the one coming on the table. Compatibility could change that though I guess.
    Nobody....just remember if you want to get a new ortofon, Grado, Goldring or Dynavector cart...Wylie is a dealer and get them at cheaper than normal.

Nice....

Do you have phono cables?
    Last edited by frenchmon; 08-07-2011 at 06:46 PM.

I'm not a big fancy cable guy, but I do have a set I plan on using as soon as this thing arrives.

I did some looking around about carts with the Pro-Ject arm and it seems that if you are using a cart that weighs over five grams you need a special heavier counterweight. The counterweights come in three sizes, depending on the weight of the cart you are using. I ordered the heaviest of the three and also have a couple weights to put on at the cartridge end of things if necessary. This should get the mass of the arm up to work with the Denon just fine from what I understand. If not, I'll maybe start thinking about another cart. I have heard good things about Dynavector carts.

I'm not a big fancy cable guy, but I do have a set I plan on using as soon as this thing arrives.

I did some looking around about carts with the Pro-Ject arm and it seems that if you are using a cart that weighs over five grams you need a special heavier counterweight. The counterweights come in three sizes, depending on the weight of the cart you are using. I ordered the heaviest of the three and also have a couple weights to put on at the cartridge end of things if necessary. This should get the mass of the arm up to work with the Denon just fine from what I understand. If not, I'll maybe start thinking about another cart. I have heard good things about Dynavector carts.
    Oh...not a cable guy huh! Well seeing that you are in the same town (this place is hotter as all get out) we may have to drag you out over to Peabodys and have a cable shoot out.That way you will notice the difference. What cable are you using by the way?

Man I cant wait for your table to come.....that looks like a very nice table...its a looker from what I can tell. You gotta get some pictures up when it comes.

Oh yeah, I'll get some pics once it's all set up. I'm also picking up my changer for 78s tonight., so I'm gonna be spinning stacks of King Cole Trio, Fats Waller and Louis Armstrong 78s this evening. I also just drug up my Fried A/6 speakers out of the basement to take over for a while from my Ohm Walsh 2s and plan on drilling some holes in my flooring so I can get the speakers in a better position without having wires laying all over the floor. So yes, big changes underway.

(generic cables from Radio Shack is all I got except one set from Better Cables that I'll probably stick on the new table)

Oh yeah, I'll get some pics once it's all set up. I'm also picking up my changer for 78s tonight., so I'm gonna be spinning stacks of King Cole Trio, Fats Waller and Louis Armstrong 78s this evening. I also just drug up my Fried A/6 speakers out of the basement to take over for a while from my Ohm Walsh 2s and plan on drilling some holes in my flooring so I can get the speakers in a better position without having wires laying all over the floor. So yes, big changes underway.

(generic cables from Radio Shack is all I got except one set from Better Cables that I'll probably stick on the new table)
    Well if you get interested in good prices for other cables...you know who to call....Sounds like you are having fun....

This mini splurge should keep me for a while. My next upgrade would probably be a new pre-amp before I'd get worried about cables. I may have to check the used section at Alpha Tech.

[QUOTE=nobody;366770]This mini splurge should keep me for a while. My next upgrade would probably be a new pre-amp before I'd get worried about cables. I may have to check the used section at Alpha Tech.[/QUOTE

Yeah...let me know when you go...I may try and meet you down there if the time is right. They are only open on week days and close at 5 pm so its kinda hard at times.

That was a nice bit of research on your part. It is ordinarily pretty challenging to get the desired tracking force with the heavier cartridges without going up to the correct counterweight. I managed to get it set with the Goldring 2200 on my MMF-5 with that tonearm, but your DL-103 would be another gram heavier. Frenchmon got his Ortofon 2M Red set on a similar arm, but it too isn't quite as heavy as a DL-103.

I do agree the heavier counterweight and the DL-103's own weight are most likely going to keep the mass/compliance combination in the acceptable theoretical range. If you like the Denon sound, the DL-301 II might be the logical step up for this turntable when you're ready.

Yeah, I've been curious about the other Denons, but for now this is a cart I like and it's affordable. Plus, the transformer I have works with it well and I have no idea how it would work with the other carts as even within the Denon line I know the properties are quite different so expenses for a higher model may well go beyond just the cost of the cart.

It's now a race to see if the table or counterweight gets to me first. I kinda hope the table comes first so I will be forced to be patient and listen to its stock cart for a bit before fixing up the 103.

Hey man...that table come in yet?

Nope, tracking number isn't telling me exactly when, but it is on its way so I figure sometime this week, could be any day now really. I'll probably spend Saturday getting everything all set-up so looking forward to that. Probbaly just get it set up with the stock cartridge this weekend though as the heavier counterweight still hasn't shipped.

Getting curious about that Denon 301 Mk II as well down the road. I've read it works well with the transformer I already have and I've seen a really good price on it. I will be patient for a while, but I do see one of those in my future.

Hey man...I know that table is in...and you must be locked in your room with it and about 100 of your favorite albums cause we aint heard nothing from you. Wen you get done spinning let us know the verdict. Does she sound as good as she looks?

It got here Saturday..well actually Friday but I had to go pick up at the post office since I was not home when the mail came. I've been crazy busy this weekend and have just today gotten everything all set-up. So far so good. I'm really liking it. Definitely an improvement over the Technics I had. Not ridiculously dramatic, but significant. More detail in the midrange especially, blacker backgrounds, smoother top end. It's all slight individually, but taken together it all makes a pretty big difference. Bass a bit fuller, perhaps overly so but still messing with set-up a bit. Once I get it all set up and dialed in just right I'm sure it will be even better. Still waiting for the heavier counterweight and will want to get everything set to my liking. I'm also gonna keep my eyes open for one of those mechanical add on end of side things that lifts the arm that occasionally pop up. I get it as far as sound goes, but there are ways to provide a bit of convenience without mucking things up that would be nice if a few tables included. But, overall quite happy with it and expect it will last me quite a while before I feel a need for anything else.

I've also gotten my Dual back and it was all rejuvenated with new idler and everything, works great except that the base got smashed up in shipping, fortunately everything else is great on that one and I've propped it up on some pieces of wood to give some 78s a spin.

Once I get the new base for that one and the new counterweight and everything is all pretty, I'll post a couple shots of my totally revamped vinyl station.

OK...gonna go spin some Brian Eno and wind down from a long, busy weekend.

It got here Saturday..well actually Friday but I had to go pick up at the post office since I was not home when the mail came. I've been crazy busy this weekend and have just today gotten everything all set-up. So far so good. I'm really liking it. Definitely an improvement over the Technics I had. Not ridiculously dramatic, but significant. More detail in the midrange especially, blacker backgrounds, smoother top end. It's all slight individually, but taken together it all makes a pretty big difference. Bass a bit fuller, perhaps overly so but still messing with set-up a bit. Once I get it all set up and dialed in just right I'm sure it will be even better. Still waiting for the heavier counterweight and will want to get everything set to my liking. I'm also gonna keep my eyes open for one of those mechanical add on end of side things that lifts the arm that occasionally pop up. I get it as far as sound goes, but there are ways to provide a bit of convenience without mucking things up that would be nice if a few tables included. But, overall quite happy with it and expect it will last me quite a while before I feel a need for anything else.

I've also gotten my Dual back and it was all rejuvenated with new idler and everything, works great except that the base got smashed up in shipping, fortunately everything else is great on that one and I've propped it up on some pieces of wood to give some 78s a spin.

Once I get the new base for that one and the new counterweight and everything is all pretty, I'll post a couple shots of my totally revamped vinyl station.

OK...gonna go spin some Brian Eno and wind down from a long, busy weekend.

Well good for you....having fun. Sorry about you other table and the damage. DO get the pictures up asap. Thanks.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I should've jumped in earlier, but I'm a little frustrated with my 'table setup at the moment so i've been intentionally ignoring this thread, or at least trying to. I broke two of my cart leads and I've never soldered in my life. Anyhow, I've an old Pro-Ject 1.2 with an arm that's at least similar if not the same as what's on the RPM-4. (While mine is 8.6", the RPM-4 may have a true 9" arm.) I've tried several carts with it and my favorite is an Ortofon MC-3 Turbo which is a small/light-weight high output mc. It's the successor to the X3-MC. It's certainly not as heavy as the new M series and it's shaped differently from the OM series. The Pro-Ject arm can definitely handle a good low to mid-range mc. That RPM-4 is probably quieter than mine and could go higher up the mc food chain.

In a pinch, you can leave off the finger-lift. I haven't tried a Denon cart (not for lack of want to). You're right on target re the heavier counterweight with a Denon DL-103. A DL-110 or 160 if you can find one would probably be a nice match. Another cart that came highly recommended for the Pro-Ject arm is a Benze Ace. It's too bad auditioning carts is so difficult. Hell, it's impossible where I live. Congrats on the new 'table. I've tried to keep a direct drive and a belt-drive in the system, but the headshell on my Technics spoiled me and made me sloppy with the Pro-Ject.

I can see why you broke the cart leads. I have a Music Hall 2.1 which is basically the same table, and those leads are very thin. So have you fixed it yet? Or are you thinking of getting another table?

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    I can see why you broke the cart leads. I have a Music Hall 2.1 which is basically the same table, and those leads are very thin. So have you fixed it yet? Or are you thinking of getting another table?
    Thinkin' about an upgrade and tryin' to fix the Pro-Ject at my leisure. Rega P-24 with TT-PSU (outboard power supply) is on sale. Pro-Ject Xperience Classic is on sale. Several options. Just need the dough. After almost 10 years with the Pro-Ject 1.2, I'm ready for a better belt-drive.

I broke a cartridge lead on a Debut III. Wow...those things are truly tiny. I had to fix it in a hurry, though. It's the wife's turntable. I was trying to see how a Rega Elys would work on it. It hummed, so I took it off right away, put the OM5E back on and never said a word to the missus.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information