Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Phono preamp tip

Due to space limitations my phono preamp sits on my cd player. I discovered that turning the cd player off reduces a very slight irritation to the sound. I remebered this today during a long vinyl session and the sound was putting me on edge. Trying to figure what was wrong I saw the cd player was still on. Turned the cd player off and it was back to the sound I love.

Of course if you have a phono preamp on it's own shelf or it is a better built, isolated unit this may not effect the sound of your system.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Well John, how very revolutionary of you. Do you ever consider what dropping this kind of amazing, forward thinking idea can do to AR? Or the internet as a whole even?

I would build you a cabinet but shipping costs would make it laughably expensive. How do you have your stuff laid out?

I shouldn't poke fun at you (although I love to), it wasn't too long ago that Livin Da Blues caught my mess of gear in a photo and set me straight. I have been liberated from the shackles of poorly set up gear. Now, instead of listening, I can obsess over the potential sonic problems that my gear's placement can cause. Oh ya, this hobby is great!!

Show me a pic of your set up John, would love to see your gear. I was looking at a Rega P1 today. I don't know why, but when I think of Rega or Krell I am reminded of you. You are the Krell-Rega man. Very simple and basic looking deck it was, I'm sure it sounds great though.

Tonight I am upgrading my Pioneer's RCA connects. I will replace them with Vampire Wire, stranded core, braided shield. Wish me luck, if it works out well, I will do it to my other 2 tables. I bought the wire and termination seperate. I don't feel like photographing it and Adam already has a thread concerning the same topic.

Blabbing on here...I'll post a pic of the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Show me a pic of your set up John, would love to see your gear. I was looking at a Rega P1 today. I don't know why, but when I think of Rega or Krell I am reminded of you. You are the Krell-Rega man. Very simple and basic looking deck it was, I'm sure it sounds great though.

Tonight I am upgrading my Pioneer's RCA connects. I will replace them with Vampire Wire, stranded core, braided shield. Wish me luck, if it works out well, I will do it to my other 2 tables. I bought the wire and termination seperate. I don't feel like photographing it and Adam already has a thread concerning the same topic.

Blabbing on here...I'll post a pic of the finished product.
    Here here! - I want to see a photo.

Also good luck poppa - I hope your endeavor.

How bout it John, are you set up to deliver a pic or 2?

Yes whenI get home I will take some photos. I am at B&N reading the new Absolute Sound and in their "Tips For Improving Your system". Tip 13 is "Turn off digital components when listening to vinyl".
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ya I just saw that mag yesterday, tip 14 is stop upgrading and listen to music, right?

Let me tell ya, I try and do "the right thing" as much as I can but when something works, it works.

I bet I am 10 times happier than the dude who wrote that article. However, he is probably 10 times more knowledgable and with 10 times better gear than me.

My main system is anything but digital, but you know how I've been diggin my vinyl lately.

Anyhow, I didn't read the article closely, just each tip. Why should we be turning off our digital components?

Anyhow, I didn't read the article closely, just each tip. Why should we be turning off our digital components?
    Oh boy, can't wait to heat this one. Some RF waves screwing with the cartridge, or maybe the digital signal is so strong is somehow passes though the pre-amp ins and corrupts the analog signal in and messes up your sound. Or how about it causes electrical line noise and then screws up your analog electrical line...or how about because digital gives you cancer and reads your thoughts at night. Any of these close?

How about a top 10.

Top 10 things you get back when you turn your digital components off.

10 - it will teach the dog not to pee inside
    9 - lower blood pressure - getting up and flipping over the LP twice as often
    8 - that $20 your wife took from your wallet this morning
    7 - no digital humm in your component stand
    6 - the laser from the reader screws with your cartridge
    5 - the environmentalist will think you are green
    4 - you'll finally learn the secrete to wemon
    3 - in 2012 you'll be one of the lucky ones
    2 - you like the Porsche, it's yours
    1 - analog

Well Adam, do you mind if I shop that around to the different audio mags? It's ready for press!

i think it could be funnier - but please go ahead

Man, I had my main system and my comp system running together today, essentially a bi-amp set up. It filled the room with a lovely sound, I suppose that somehow this isn't possible though. Is it wrong? Is it wrong to feel this way about digital and analog together?

(Keyboards begin playing, Paul McCartney starts verse)

"Digital, and an-a-log, live together in per-fect, har-mon-y, Side by side in my system, keyboard, oh lord, why don't we???"

(Keyboards fade out)

The tips in Absolute Sound are in an article written by Robert Harley.

13 Turn of digital components when listening to vinyl.

Digital components (CD players, DACs, multchannel controllers) radiate noise that can pollute analog signals, particularly the miniscule output from a phono cartridge. Some digital components radiate noise even when turned off. Those products should be unplugged from the wall during analog listening sessions. The background becomes blacker and a haze over the music is lifted.

Thank you Robert and I agree.

It is free to try and you might be surprised.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    The tips in Absolute Sound are in an article written by Robert Harley.

13 Turn of digital components when listening to vinyl.

Digital components (CD players, DACs, multchannel controllers) radiate noise that can pollute analog signals, particularly the miniscule output from a phono cartridge. Some digital components radiate noise even when turned off. Those products should be unplugged from the wall during analog listening sessions. The background becomes blacker and a haze over the music is lifted.

Thank you Robert and I agree.

It is free to try and you might be surprised.
    I called it - RF waves screwing with the cart!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam

9 - lower blood pressure - getting up and flipping over the LP twice as often
    Wow, my BP must be in good shape. I don't flip vinyl but have to get up and adjust 2 volume knobs constantly as my Pre is not remote and of true dual mono design, one volume knob for each channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Wow, my BP must be in good shape. I don't flip vinyl but have to get up and adjust 2 volume knobs constantly as my Pre is not remote and of true dual mono design, one volume knob for each channel.
    LOL - me too - but - I've go to adjust volume and flip vinyl

So here is something funny.

I think I can hear audio signals from an unselected input in my pre-amp.

I had something unselected but playing, and I turned the volume on the pre-amp up and low and behold I could hear the music on the unselected channel.

Maybe it does pay to unplug (from the wall) units not being used.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Due to space limitations my phono preamp sits on my cd player. I discovered that turning the cd player off reduces a very slight irritation to the sound.
    ALL digital devices radiate RFI both directly in proximity and back through the AC. Cable boxes. DVRs. Routers. Access points. They can all effect the results. Just for grins, take a portable AM radio and tune it off station. Move it close to a digital source and hear the interference. While listening to a digital source where you can't turn it off, the same situation applies to the amplification stages. You need both distance and electrical isolation (typically via power conditioners and/or aftermarket AC cords).

rw

I had something unselected but playing,
    Is this something you do regularily? Personally I choose to shut off any unused source. So aside from the purpose of a science experiment, not too practical.

Is this something you do regularily? Personally I choose to shut off any unused source. So aside from the purpose of a science experiment, not too practical.
    Isn't it all in the name of science? And no, not something I do on a regular basis. It just happened when I was flipping between cables and I moved to an unselected input to switch the cables in but kept the CD playing.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    You need both distance and electrical isolation (typically via power conditioners and/or aftermarket AC cords).

rw
    I think I have enough of both, certainly as much as I'm willing to do. I think "tip 13" is probably good advice for anyone who has grossly breached this area of audio. I think most of the regulars here understand enough about seperation and such. However, maybe not. Either way, Stevie Wonder would tell you that him and his band are quite content playing through my system right now....quite!!

Isn't it all in the name of science? And no, not something I do on a regular basis. It just happened when I was flipping between cables and I moved to an unselected input to switch the cables in but kept the CD playing.

Adam, Adam...I know!! I was being sarcastic...

I think "tip 13" is probably good advice for anyone who has grossly breached this area of audio.
    My point is that other digital demons exist in many homes which happily spew digital hash back into the AC. I leave my cableboxes and the like powered down, too. For serious listening in the main system, I shut down my Wi-Fi.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    My point is that other digital demons exist in many homes which happily spew digital hash back into the AC. I leave my cableboxes and the like powered down, too. For serious listening in the main system, I shut down my Wi-Fi.

rw
    Now this is an area I'm ignorant about. Power conditioning. I have all of my stuff on the same breaker circuit. However, I use one wall plug for the comp/digital and another through a cheap protector for my main system. I do however play my main system while the comp is powered up. Are you saying this will cause sonic issues?

As requested my system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phono preamp tip-001-small.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

A close up of ttable and electronics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phono preamp tip-002-smaller.jpg  
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information