Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Phono Preamp

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy View Post
    eno,

i am surprised that you doubt the quality of the dv p75. it has been quite well received in the press and they disappear quickly from 'gon and other places too.

dynavector p75

had one been around for $200, there was i time i might have leaped for that item. i am not in need at present.

the other choices you list are good as would be the jolida and clearaudio units and i would be pretty sure the vincent should be included in consideration.
    Tommy,

I would agree with you, but to be honest it was a superficial decision.

After getting back from New York and reading this thread, I hate to say that I chose the Micro over the Dyna based on looks. Having no chance to demo both and realizing that they both had caveats but also great reviews, I chose the Micro because it matched the rest of my system. Hey!! ya gotta look at half the time! But really your right Tommy: it is the sound first and looks second.

The Dyna was the Mark 1 not the Mark 2 and the Micro Basic I got for $250.

I really like the sound of the Micro!! Very transparent with a huge soundstage and great seperation of instruments, which is its leading attribute. But what really sells me is the truth of timber which is what I hope I would get and what the reviews have said.

Here's some pics of the Micro:

I have also finally gotten to a settling point with my system, after purchasing a new integrated, dac, and turntable. In all I replaced everything as it turns out! It just happened; I got lucky with a string of deals and sales and bam! I realized I am done for awhile on upgrading my system.

Here's some pics of my final mid-fi system. It's not high end but it will do:

Micro Seiki DD-40 and the Micro Basic

Exposure 2010s

PS AUDIO DLlll

Sony DVP-S7700 as transport

I might be looking for a nice vintage tuner, but it is not a huge priority now. Any suggestions?
    Main System: Exposure 2010s - VPI HW-19jr - Denon DL-103LC - ClearAudio Basic - Sony SCD-S7700 - PS Audio DLlll - Revel M20

Oh and frenchie,

PM your address again!
    Main System: Exposure 2010s - VPI HW-19jr - Denon DL-103LC - ClearAudio Basic - Sony SCD-S7700 - PS Audio DLlll - Revel M20

Dang boyee.....you step up your game big time!

That Clearaudio looks great! I love it! Hey I've learned that high end is not necessarily defined by supper high dollar, but by supper special sound that rises above high fi ish sound into real audio. So don't sell yourself short. I like the Exposure and the PS Audio as well. Congrats man on the new gear.

So tell me man...whats the Clearaudio like? Oh...and PM sent.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Enochrome...does the Basic+ come with the power supply or is that an option?
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    eno,

i would also consider a micro, i have recommended it sound unheard on the rep of clearaudio. its great to hear that i was right about that. there are precious few reviews of that item.

btw, a friend is running tc50s in nearfield with a RSL speedwoofer and i defy anyone to locate the speakers blindfolded. they are sonically invisible.

this hobby yields such great satisfaction at all levels of expenditure. its only surpassed by seeing the music performed live.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Thanks Frenchie!!! Yeah, the exposure is the Acurus DIA-100 on steroidal truth syrum

The Micro is crazy revealing, not butter smooth, yet stops itself before getting too sibilant. It reveals timber with relaxed confidence is the best way to describe it. It is equally good with MM and MC with one not besting the other. I forgot to mention in the previous post that the bass authority for the Micro is the best I have ever heard; it really is big, tight and full sounding but nevers bleeds into the lower midrange.

I talked to Musical Surroundings, the US distributor, and they said the difference is mainly that new "+" allows you to add the battery power supply, that is what the "+" stands for. They did add a couple of nicer caps, but essentially it is the same exact stage and they stated that the sonic differences are subtle.

I've gotten to the point now that I would have to drop some serious cash to upgrade what I have now and that will be a longtime coming (maybe a new turntable = a VPI Classic (drool)).

Thanks for the Grado test!! Package coming your way!!!!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Mine came with the standard power supply. For the "Basic + " you need to spend like an additional $600 or so for the battery "+" option........ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy View Post
    eno,

i would also consider a micro, i have recommended it sound unheard on the rep of clearaudio. its great to hear that i was right about that. there are precious few reviews of that item.

btw, a friend is running tc50s in nearfield with a RSL speedwoofer and i defy anyone to locate the speakers blindfolded. they are sonically invisible.

this hobby yields such great satisfaction at all levels of expenditure. its only surpassed by seeing the music performed live.
    Yes, there were not that many reviews; I had to read some Russian ones with Google translate

The Spicas are ruthless and hard to match but when they are going you are right they disappear; absolutely massive soundstage!!

Maybe you can anwer this for me: I would like to add a passive subwoofer to the Spicas so I don't blow the Spica's irreplaceable woofers. Is that possible? Or do I have to go active?

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    believe me, the RLS speedwoofer is a bargain. a powered sub is really best and you can get an inline filter to reduce the lows going to the spicas.

RSL Speedwoofer 10 - Home Subwoofer Theater Systems

talk to howard rodgers about the filter. anyway the sub is remotely controlled so adjusting from the listening position is ideal. and the thing goes down very nicely, the price includes delivery.
    ...regards...tr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information