Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ortorfon OMB-10

Ortorfon OMB-10

PoppaC...the OM-10 is a very good pick-up. It has a little sibilance going on with a few albums. I say a very good pick-up because it picks- up a little to much. I hear more of the defects in my budget table. Before with the Goldring Elan I could rap on my table and I would hear nothing through the speakers...not so with the OM-10. I hear more back ground noise..."fried eggs sounds" from a worn album...I even hear the wobble in the album. I've lowered and raised the tracking force and the noise is still there. The Goldring hid many of the flaws that the OM-10 is reveling. I put on a new album with no wobbles and less cymbal work from the drummer and its very smooth and clear. But with any album thats not perfect the flaws will shine through loud and clear. Even between songs on the album, I can hear the noise. I really dont think a budget table is a good fit with this cart....at least not this budget table. I will continue to listen and see what this cart is like. I think you mentioned its not broken in? I'll give it a little more time....could be the budget tonearm is not a good fit with this cart...but now I am listening to a William Ackerman Album thats near perfect and it sounds amazing...until I get in between songs where on ends and another one begins...
    Last edited by frenchmon; 06-02-2010 at 08:24 AM.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    It has about 50 hours on it, so pretty much broken in. Quite simply if your vinyl is that ragged, you may want to consider replacements if possible or re-issue. I only buy and spin LP s that are up to a certain caliber. Might be a fantastic title, but the album must be in proper shape.

This is where having a removable headshell is helpful. You could have the OMB on one and the Elan on another and switch on a whim.

The Ortofon is alot more forward than your Goldring, I think this is the bottom line for your experience thus far. It really is a wonderful little cart. I think it's matched nicely for your table and arm.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    It has about 50 hours on it, so pretty much broken in. Quite simply if your vinyl is that ragged, you may want to consider replacements if possible or re-issue. I only buy and spin LP s that are up to a certain caliber. Might be a fantastic title, but the album must be in proper shape.

This is where having a removable headshell is helpful. You could have the OMB on one and the Elan on another and switch on a whim.

The Ortofon is alot more forward than your Goldring, I think this is the bottom line for your experience thus far. It really is a wonderful little cart. I think it's matched nicely for your table and arm.
    Yeah...I made it known that dad did not take good care of his vinyl. I threw most of them out and kept what I felt ws not worn as bad. And the head shell is removable. It's not the head shell thats a problem...its those very thin wires. Don't want to break one of those.

If its broken in, then its just to bright. I can hear the sibilance loud and clear. That will pluck the heck out of my nerves. Its not really forward at all PoppaC...its clear...good separation in sound...images great...has good thrust in the bass....nice clear mids, but to much hiss. Even when the brushes are playing, it amplifies to much hiss. Its a very good pick-up but magnifies any type of sound like cymbals or brushes to much. Even to much noise in the 2 seconds between songs.

Now my system is not bright, nor is it boring....but what I don't want is hiss and sibilance. I have a 2M Red coming that should be here Saturday....and I've read a few reports that say it gives off sibilance as well. If it does, then its going back or getting sold, but I have also read the opposite....mixed reviews. But hey...thats how you learn.

The Ortofon is not more forward than the Goldring. Forward is in your face, and the Ortofon is not in your face...not laid back either, but just there...presented before you. The Goldring does every thing the Ortofon does, without amplifying every little nick. In listening to the both, I would say the Goldring Elan is totally different from what I read about it. Most people said it was junk. I find it a little entry level gem. Its not as sensitive as the OM-10 and its smoother than the OM-10. It too presents a nice sound stage with good imaging and nice highs...not rolled off. The bass is not as profound as the Ortofon but once I set the tracing it got better...and I do have a sub if I need to turn it on.The Elan is clear. Its warmer than the OM-10 and I was able to connect emotionally with the sound it was spitting out. Im kinda curious as to know what a more expensive Goldring is like.

After I get done analyzing the characteristics of the OM-10, hopefully I may be able to sit and just really get into the sound of it and feel what it spits out.....but I don't know with the hissing and sibilance. I betcha if my basement floor was not concrete but wood, I would hear foot steps through the OM-10 cart.

Sensitive may be a good word to describe a characteristic of the OM-10. This to me seems like it could be a flaw of the cart. From what I understand this cart is discontinued and the super is suppose to be better. But it could also be the tonearm not matching up with the OM-10. I will be upgrading the table in about 6-12 months.

I think I will keep the OM-10 on until I get the 2Mred. From what I've also read about the 2M Red on audioreview...it hides the pops and scratches in worn vinyl. IF that's true, then its not as bright as the OM-10. So I will just have to wait and see. Thanks for sending the OM-10...we will see how it goes....I have some new vinyl coming.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Suspended
    Frenchmon, you know how to mount carts and properly set them up??

Agreed, I think we have an alignment issue here. Like I told you Frenchie, the OM body can be tricky to align. Did you try the toothpick across it?

Poppa, is the toothpick trick like the longhorn mod?

Frenchmon, I got my OMB-20 working again recently and it took me some time to get it working right, for now I took the weight out and bumped the tracking to 1.6. It is true that this cart is very "sensitive/revealing", which is a blessing and a curse. I have several G+ records and the OM20 lets me know. For the most part, I am use to it. The OM-20 is nude, so I think I have even more sensitivity issues, but i think it is a universal characteristic of the cart science as well.

The good part is when I threw on some Floyd, Electronic, Salsa or Rock, that thing just blew me away!! I love the tight bass, wide sound-stage (coming from a Grado), and the sweet far reaching highs It only lacks the depth of my Grado. The frequency range is incredibly even, and dynamic.

Fellas I assure you the cart is aligned properly....I got out my PRO-JECT alignment tool and I also did the VTA. So there is no problem in that area. Its just that the cart has a problem in that its really sensitive to some of the high effects on albums....thus sibilance. Before I went to bed, I put on some Wes Montgomery and there was no problem at all, but when I put on some good cymbal work by drummer Art Blakey....the sibilance returns.
    Last edited by frenchmon; 06-03-2010 at 09:42 AM.

You want something new? Try some Joshua Redman, just excellent. He has quite a few albums out but he is the new guard of real jazz. Right up there with Roy Hargrove and Christian Scott.

Christian McBride usually shows up for a few tracks. Flea and Meshelle Ndegeocello too.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/a/18412/Joshua_Redman

You want something new? Try some Joshua Redman, just excellent. He has quite a few albums out but he is the new guard of real jazz. Right up there with Roy Hargrove and Christian Scott.

Christian McBride usually shows up for a few tracks. Flea and Meshelle Ndegeocello too.

PoppaC...I am very aware of Joshua Redman...I have followed his musical career from when he won that award...I think it was the Thelonious Monk award for best new musician in 1991. I've had his "Wish" album and his "Mood Swings" album and now have his "Back East" CD. I've also got a very good CD by Milt Jackson with Joshua on it as well as the great Joe Williams Cedar Walton and John Clayton on bass...every body on that CD is dead but Clayton who is an older man still jamming and Joshua...so you see what kinda respect Joshua gets...that tells you a lot about his skills on sax.

Joshua is but a "chip off the old block" as they use to say. I loved his dad even more. His dad was a member of Ornette Colman's group during the 60's an 70's and then Was one of the original memebers of Keith Jarrett's group that also had Charlie Haden and Paul Motian on drums . Dewey was a great tenor sax player as well. Dont know if you have ever heard of "Dewey Redman" but he was great man...I mean great. I still have a bunch of Keith Jarrett's stuff on redbook and I just love the one live recording "Eye of the Tiger"where "Dewey" just goes off in a sax solo. Another good one is "Fort Yawuh" Dewey just goes buck wild man. But I must add PoppaC....before the formation of Keith Jarrett's quartet, he too like Dewey and Haden...spent time with Ornette Colman. Jarrett even spent time with Miles Davis in his post bop fusion bands with Wayne Shorter. So if you know what Colman was like, and what Miles "post be bop" bands where like...and you liked them, then you will love Dewey and Jarrett together. John Coltrain also spent time with Ornette Colman as well as with Don Cherry who was a great trumpet player.

Heres a picture of Dewey Redman.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dewey was one great Jazz tenor. Before he died he and Joshua did a few albums together. Joshua was greatly influenced by his dad later in his life after Joshua started his musical career. Did you know that Joshua was about to graduate medical school until he won the award? He gave it up to play music...and great music does he make.

I enjoy talking to you PoppaC about music....good stuff.
    Last edited by frenchmon; 06-03-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Agreed, I think we have an alignment issue here. Like I told you Frenchie, the OM body can be tricky to align. Did you try the toothpick across it?
    PoppaC...I went back over my steps in setting up the cart. Everything was fine. But I did go to Vinyl Engine to see what the tracking force is with the OM-10. Its from 1.25-1.75g. So I set it to 1.25g. The sibilance and noise is about gone. Blakey's cymbals sound much better....not nerve plucking as before. This is a detailed cart. Could use a little more in the bottom end and a little more warmth....not boring warm but not edgy. In comparison the Elan is a lot smoother and warm IMO. A lot of the noise is gone as well. My dealer called and said the 2M Red is in so I will pick it up tomorrow. IF I send you an album to complete our deal, will I have to pay import fees? I think I may get a second table before I get another one in about 12 months. I want a vintage table...something that wont cost to much coin. Something like an old Dual 1264 or Marantz 6300 or something like that and have them both set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Frenchmon, you know how to mount carts and properly set them up??
    Back in the old days we would float it and turn it and play it....all by ear. It still can be done llike that today, but theres more technical involvment these ays. Cart is set correctly as well asarm with VTA.

I never had the proper TF until I went over to Vinyl engine. Sounds pretty good now. Music got me moving.

BTW...I never remember carts sounding this good back in the old days.

If you want to net me an LP, just buy it from Amazon.ca and it will be delivered domestically.

I'm glad you figured out the cart, I thought you would have enjoyed the bass but at 1.25g, bass response will suffer. That's VERY light force. Heavy arm you have.

Man that's a great rundown on Redman. No I didn't know anything about him or his dad. I have been slowly collecting his albums on CD, great sounding stuff. I passed on a mint Paul Motian Trio LP not too long ago.

Check the Rave Recs, I just got done watching a Return to Forever DVD, awesome. Anyhow you'll dig the 2M, aside from performance it has a funky look also. BTW, that Jim Hall LP is amazing, so amazing.

I am planning on adding some Klipsch KG3 to my system. I figure with all the jazz i am listening to it should be a great fit.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar

Well Poppa you may not have turned Frenchie on to something new, But you have peaked my interest. Joshua Redman is a new one to me and I like what I hear. Where is a good place to start in his discography? I can get Mood Swing on vinyl, or is there a better choice? Thanks, Jack
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    PoppaC...I went back over my steps in setting up the cart. Everything was fine. But I did go to Vinyl Engine to see what the tracking force is with the OM-10. Its from 1.25-1.75g. So I set it to 1.25g. The sibilance and noise is about gone. Blakey's cymbals sound much better....not nerve plucking as before. This is a detailed cart. Could use a little more in the bottom end and a little more warmth....not boring warm but not edgy. In comparison the Elan is a lot smoother and warm IMO. A lot of the noise is gone as well. My dealer called and said the 2M Red is in so I will pick it up tomorrow. IF I send you an album to complete our deal, will I have to pay import fees? I think I may get a second table before I get another one in about 12 months. I want a vintage table...something that wont cost to much coin. Something like an old Dual 1264 or Marantz 6300 or something like that and have them both set-up.
    Most cartridges will track better and control sibilance better when the tracking force is in the upper half of the recommended range. Don't be afraid to try at least 1.5g. Assuming a dead-level VTA, I generally prefer my tracking force at least 0.1g above the midpoint of the recommended range.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    Well Poppa you may not have turned Frenchie on to something new, But you have peaked my interest. Joshua Redman is a new one to me and I like what I hear. Where is a good place to start in his discography? I can get Mood Swing on vinyl, or is there a better choice? Thanks, Jack
    Mood Swing would be a good one. Even "Wish" would be another good one...He has Pat Metheny, Charlie Haden, and the one and only late Billy Higgins on drums. You cant go wrong with either album.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Most cartridges will track better and control sibilance better when the tracking force is in the upper half of the recommended range. Don't be afraid to try at least 1.5g. Assuming a dead-level VTA, I generally prefer my tracking force at least 0.1g above the midpoint of the recommended range.
    Thanks noob. I'll try it at 1.5 and let you know how it sounds.

Jack...did you get your new deck yet?

noob do you use cleaning fluids or do you just use the alcohol, water and dish liquid. IF you do by cleaning fluids is there a cheap place to buy on line?

noob do you use cleaning fluids or do you just use the alcohol, water and dish liquid. IF you do by cleaning fluids is there a cheap place to buy on line?
    I make my own with 3 parts distilled water to 1 part 99% isopropyl alcohol, with a few drops of Jet-Dry per pint. I was using dish liquid instead of the Jet-Dry until the past few months. I suspect the ready-made stuff works better, though. You could try something from Garage-A-Records which seems to have fair prices. You could also take a look at RRL products, which seem to be reasonably priced.

http://www.garage-a-records.com/categories.php?cat=116

http://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store...duct.cgi?id=29

I feel like the most important step in my process is the vacuum. I use this, sometimes dry but usually wet...

Jack...did you get your new deck yet?
    I pick it up on Sat. The dealer is about an hour from my house on the northern side of Philadelphia so I avoid going up that way during the week. Too much traffic. Just unhooked my MMF 2.1 and got it ready to go. Can't decide what to listen to first when I get it home. I'm putting together an LP shopping list to order online, Mood Swing is first. Just ordered a CD from a guy you probably have heard of, Dave Holland. He's forned an Octet and released a CD called "Pathways" that sounded very interesting.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Frenchie just got back from the library. Grabbed a handful of Telarc discs and these...

I pick it up on Sat. The dealer is about an hour from my house on the northern side of Philadelphia so I avoid going up that way during the week. Too much traffic. Just unhooked my MMF 2.1 and got it ready to go. Can't decide what to listen to first when I get it home. I'm putting together an LP shopping list to order online, Mood Swing is first. Just ordered a CD from a guy you probably have heard of, Dave Holland. He's forned an Octet and released a CD called "Pathways" that sounded very interesting.
    Holland is a very gifted bass player....many times using the double bass. I listened to a very good album yesterday that at first I thought I would not like but I loved the CD. I thought I would not like it because there was no drummer. It was Kenny Wheelers album "What Now". Wheeler on Flugel Horn, Chris Potter on Tenor sax, John Taylor on piano, and Holland on double bass. Holland does a very good job in time keeping on the bass. IF you run across the album by Kenny Wheeler pick it up and check out Holland on bass keeping the time....and Wheeler plays a good horn as well. Wheeler also has a of classical and free jazz stuff as well.

What Table are you getting?

Frenchie just got back from the library. Grabbed a handful of Telarc discs and these...

The only one I had is "Our man in Paris". I love his version of "willow weep for me" and "Scrapple from the Apple" Bud Powel is special...and we all know Kenny Clark....but a very under rated and unknown bass player was Pierre Michelot. He was an outstanding talent. He was a Frenchman and did alot of work with Dexter Gordon when Gordon lived over seas all those years before his return to the states in the 80's. Michelot had Alzheimer's.

Have you seen the movie "Round Midnight"? Dexter was nominated for a Oscar award for his role as "Dale Turner" a Jazz sax player living in France during the 50's who had a drug problem...it was really the story of many of our great Jazz artist who had to go abroad to make a living. Very good movie with real Jazz musicians playing jazz. Gordon on tenor and soprano, Wayne shorter on soprano, Herbie Hancock on piano, Billy Higgins on Drums, and Pierre Michelot on bass. A very good movie.

Dexter is the king of Ballards.

Holland is a very gifted bass player....many times using the double bass. I listened to a very good album yesterday that at first I thought I would not like but I loved the CD. I thought I would not like it because there was no drummer. It was Kenny Wheelers album "What Now". Wheeler on Flugel Horn, Chris Potter on Tenor sax, John Taylor on piano, and Holland on double bass. Holland does a very good job in time keeping on the bass. IF you run across the album by Kenny Wheeler pick it up and check out Holland on bass keeping the time....and Wheeler plays a good horn as well. Wheeler also has a of classical and free jazz stuff as well.

What Table are you getting?
    I'm jumping up a notch to the MMF 5.1 with the Goldring 1012GX cartridge. This guy also carries VPI and Acoustic Signature so I'm sure to get a glimpse of some nice tables.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

I'm jumping up a notch to the MMF 5.1 with the Goldring 1012GX cartridge. This guy also carries VPI and Acoustic Signature so I'm sure to get a glimpse of some nice tables.
    That cart and table combo kicks. I've heard it a couple of times. The 1012 is a great cart, you are in for a real treat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information